Ziggy's 1981 CM400e Budget Build aka "Dark Knight"

Ziggy

Alrighty then! Time to make a build thread! Basically going to list my plans and budget out on here, try to stay with in or below my limits, and I'm trying to do every single mod for $50 or less each (with the exception of a few bigger ones). I'll try to keep this updated weekly, and keep fresh photos up, and update on whether I fall within my allowed budget as I go along.

I've also decided on a theme for this bike. As a kid, I grew up idolizing batman, and with the popularity of the new batman movies, a new bat-bike feels appropriate. The paint scheme will be black on gunmetal grey frame, with yellow detailing and trim. I'm calling it the Dark Knight.

I purchased this bike over a month ago, and its been sitting in my garage waiting for me to have the time and money to get at it.
my_bike1.jpg

$400 barn find, oh yea!

So here's what I'm planning so far, and the budgets are rough estimates so far:
custom build wishlist
$50- clubman handle-bars Spent only $45
$50- bar end mirrors Spent only $40
$100- rear-sets and linkages
$50-100 seat re-fab
$30- led tail-light
$30- led turn signals
$20- air pods Spent only $30
$30- adjustable carb jets
$30- "dummy lights"
$100- custom 2-1 exhaust
$25- kick-start conversion
$40- New handlebar controls (both sides)
$40- New lever controls and mounts
$30- Alloy triple tree clamp from cm400t Spent only $30
$??- Proper paint job (black body, gunmetal frame, yellow detailing)

Total spent to date: $160
Total allowed budget: $500 (that's canadian money too, eh) :p

Re: 1981 CM400e Budget Build

My old high school friend came over today after I finished work with his angle grinder and tools ready to go. After showing him a few quick photos and concepts on the computer, we went out to the garage and started planning out the work.

First we decided to start fabbing the cowl out of the spare gas tank I picked up last month from a local motorcycle boneyard (Woody's Cycle's in Perth, Ont.) for $25. We measured the frame brackets, masked out a plan on the tank accordingling, and started cutting away at it. We had a few difficulties, such as cutting thru the bottom and accross the tunnel (not so easy!) and getting all the rust dust/debris out haha, but after an hour or so of cutting we got all the way around it and smoothed off the edges.

After we had our cowl cut out, we got to ripping off the 'bitch pad' and cutting away the back portion of the stock seat pan. We left foam on for now for mock-up purposes, but tomorrow it's being stripped, prepped, and welded to the cowl (which will also be prepped inside n out). Then we have sanding, priming, and paint job.. Then re-foaming and re-upholstering.
Mock up for now:
my_bike2.jpg

Also have to get at the carbs tomorrow, and test the eletrical curcuits with my friends voltmeter. Battery is always drained so I gotta find the source of that now. Hopefully my Clymer service book has some answers ::)

Hey good luck with your build. Is it currently running at all?

It was running and starting before, but I know the battery doesn't stay charged. I can start it by charging it overnight first tho. It was also idling rather high when we got it home but since then had fixed that. I'm planning on getting into the carbs and engine to clean them out today

Welcome Ziggy, As another CM/Cafe Builder I will be watching your progress with interest. I too did a Seat from a tank. If you haven't seen my build thread I invite you to check it out.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=20018.0

I also started a thread specically about these bikes CM400 & CB400T. If you run out of ideas or inspiration there are more than 44 links to builds of these and more info.

So you bought a CM400 / CB400T, Now what....

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=26184.0

Thanks Frank! To be honest, I've already been following your build! I'll have the seat done hopefully by the longweekend cos I have to take my riding course the following weekend.

On another note, I ordered two Emgo 54mm airpods today. Still need new handlebars, I'm debating still between clubmans and clipons. How do you guys fit your clip ons? Do I have to slide the tubes up thru the frame first? Do I need to get a new top clamp?

I wanted to get one with dummy lights, like this:
dummylights.jpg

Thoughts?

Zigster, If I remember correctly, you have the stamped steel upper Triple Tree. These do not allow the forks to be slid up through as the alloy clamp type do (See my thread, I am currently switching to the CM400T Upper "Alloy" Tree so I can slide the tubes through. The type you have has a slightly larger Fork Tube Cap that actually acts as a clmping force to the top tripple tree, sandwiched between the cap and the tube top.

For me changing to the alloy one has nothing to do with Clip Ons, I want to lower the front end.

I prefer Clip ons myself, I think they look better, more "Serious?". The clip ons can be put any where there is enough exposed upper tube to clamp to. If you have enough tube slipped through the upper tree you could mount them there, but to me that defeats the purpose, as a flat/drag bar would yield very similar result. I think if you study oothers, most have them clamped to the tube just below the upper tree. Some slide them way down almost to the lower tree, this is excessive to me. You need to consider the balance of Comfort (riding Postion) and looks, and tank clearance.

I also prefer the ability to change the "Wrist" angle by twisting on the tube, that can not be done with Club Mans.

I just went through this recently on my bike. Frankenfe is correct on the top clamp. You can't just change the top clamp on the "E" model with an aluminum one from a "T" model. The aluminum one is a lot thicker and therefore requires the longer steering stem that the "T" model comes with. I would just swap out the entire triple tree setup from one to the other. I did this because I wanted a beefier looking top clamp that I could polish. Also the last twin I had was incredibly buzzy so I wanted a top clamp with rubber mounts for the bars. My hands used to tingle for 10 minutes after getting off the bike.

Good call TS, I forgot about the stem being longer. To make the conversion correct & complete, From a CM400T

Lower Tree with Longer Stem
Upper Alloy Clamp Tree
Fork Tube Caps
Stem Nut (slightly Diff than "e")

FYI the "e" Instrument bracket bolt spacing is diff than the "T" so you will need to adapt if you plan to use the gauges as stock, but you were going to change all that and lower it anyway right?

Now that you mention it, lowering the bike is something I want to do, probably a bit on both ends. I just like the aesthetic appeal of an aluminum top clamp with dummy lights, because it's clean, and super simple, and more true to the "racer" part of 'cafe racer'.

How much did your swap cost you Franke?

It is a winding road I traveled, Mine started as a CM400t, so I had the alloy triples. I wanted Spokes/Drum but had Comstars/Disc, I traded some of the original (stripped for cafe) parts to a guy for the CM400e Triples and Forks, so I am really going back to the "T" Triples, but keeping the "E" (Drum) Forks.

Here is what you need (Cheapest set on ebay right now) $24.99 + $12.00 Shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980-80-CM400t-CM-400-Honda-triple-trees-tree-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c1c454dc7QQitemZ120733388231QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

It would be cleaner to also have the "T" Fork caps as well, they are a little smaller and fit the tube flush on the Tube Sides. But I think yours will work.

Thanks Franky! I was going to wait till next week to make some purchases, but I just got a $0.50/hr raise (back-paid till june 1st too) so I have extra cash this week.. decided to get that steering stem off of a cm400T, $30+shipping. Also purchased a set of clubman handlebars, which come with bar end mirrors and new grips. For $85, which means $40 for Mirrors n Grips and $45 for the bar, a darn good deal, and still within my mod-budget of $50 per mod.

I also have the long weekend to tear my bike apart while I wait for the new parts to arrive. I updated my budget list and will post photos up after the weekend's work is done

PS: To all canucks on here, happy canada day!

I have been thinking, with your Dark Knight Old vs New themes unless you plan to change to Comstars I think the Spokes will say old school.

You may find this guys build as far as colors interesting.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=25297.20

Also, I worked a little more on the upper tree, I ground of the bumps from the bar mounts. I'm not sure If I like it or not. I have another one that I may cut only the gauge mount tabs off (Like in center of pic) as a back up.

TopTree3.jpg

I think I'm going to keep the spokes, and paint the rims and hubs black, but the spokes gunmetal grey to match the frame and accents.

UPDATE: So mechanically, I've been trying to strip the bike down.. without much luck. I keep getting stripped screws and seized hardware, and it's really pissing me off haha. I can't get the exhaust flanges off to dismount the pipes, I can't get the right side handle bar controls off, or the carb seals :mad:

Other than that, I'm taking my riding course this weekend so progress won't be made till the following weekend most likely. I'm gonna get started on custom idiot lights (from $50 mod thread, page 30) and have to order new hand controls and clutch + brake lever mounts. I'm also going to try some other electrical fixes from that thread, such as coil ignition, and the radio shack rectifier mod. I need to order a new tail light so I can finish my race-seat section, and also wanna order some led turns while I'm at it. I'll likely get a tail light with led turns built in, so I only need to buy to led turns and 2 resisters (1 per bulb). Question is do I need resisters for the tail lights/integrated signals back there too?

Minor update:
-Clubman bar, mirrors, and grips came in the mail today. Got off both control modules, both stripped of wires n such, and ready to be soda-blasted (for cleaning) and painted
-Haven't made much other progress cos I went to a riders training program over last weekend. It was eye opening to get out and on a bike for real, and figure what I like and don't like.. I realize now, I like dirt bike bars
smiley.gif
Hahaha so that might be a possible change down the road
tongue.gif

-Still waiting on air-pods, and triple-tree is on its way should be here by end of next week.
-I need a solution for the crankcase breather line.. I was thinking that dragon breather thing from dwmsracing.com, however $125~ is a bit over my budget limit.. any other ways to replace that breather line?
-Also have some other, less than $50 mods in teh works, but my ownly "major" purchase left is some quality rear-sets.. I was thinking Loaded Gun's sets from DimeCity, they're best price and look top notch
-Also received my retro Bell Custom 500 (in gloss black) in the mail yesterday, not really build related just one less thing on my checklist before I can start riding

I plan to get a bunch of work done on the weekend, so I'll update probably next monday

Hi Ziggy, new member here on DTT, best of luck on your build and wanted to drop a note from a local guy, I'm just down the road in Tweed and even worked at Omya a few times. Look forward to more updates on your bike.

Back
Top Bottom