'66 Suzuki X6 Cafe Project

DvoSpeed

This thread is the second half of a pair of builds. They started out together over on the restoration boards here:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=25808.0

Basically a father/son project of a near-identical pair of Suzukis (250cc/2stroke/6-speed). We've just finished the restoration of dad's '67 and it turned out to be really fun. I'm taking a more custom route with my '66 and thought that I might get some more feedback on the custom side of things over here on the cafe board.

So this is where I'm at with the '66:
I've had the tank and seat on for a test-fit

IMG_20110712_200219.jpg

Whaddya think? proportions ok?

Then, tonight, we've rebuilt the forks

IMG_20110720_220405.jpg

Then here comes tonight problem:
While fitting the tire, the axle and the front fender My tire is too chubby and too tall for the stock fender. I'll probably need to source a custom fender as I don't plan on going fenderless in the front. (Though I like the look in the rear)

Any help there? was looking at the roc city polished aluminum piece but it's a little pricey and unlike the bike (CB?) in the pic, my fender mounts are farther down nearer the axle and stacked vertically. Thoughts?

Thanks guys.

Headlight bucket/gauge was an awkward shape so I painted it half ivory half black to break it up a bit. Trying to find a good height for it now as the stock (ugly) headlight ears were fixed in position and these new aluminum ones are adjustable. might go up a bit from the photo.

IMG_20110722_203125.jpg

Sorry I haven't been back for a while to post updates but we been on a serious roll with this project. Didn't really take the time to snap any pics the past week or so but this video should explain a lot.

Start-up and walk-around
http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff469/DvoSpeed/?action=view&current=VID_20110802_190917.mp4

Hope that worked. Still need to find out why the taillight isn't coming on, the carbs need a tune and I need a front fender before it gets inspected. Other small odds and ends before I'm done for a while... oh wait. another barn-find may be in the near future. We may have inherited an unloved '79 or '80 XS650.

Thanks!

When I got back from work today, It looked like a stray had let itself in. I dunno what the plan is with this guy but I guess you can't beat free, right?

IMG_20110803_172340.jpg

IMG_20110803_172411.jpg

Haha get to know a couple of landlords with storage properties around town. This one has been abandoned for some time now.

So I couldn't figure out for the life of me why the taillight didn't work. After a few hours of fiddling and studying the wiring diagram and arguing it turns out that the light itself didn't have a good ground.

I HATE it when its something little and obvious like that! Those things are usually the biggest headaches.

Anyway, trying to reattach the oil lines in a more efficient way, still gotta get a custom front fender done up the it's off to a (hopefully successful) inspection.

Back
Top Bottom