www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: CB360 Cafe  (Read 32758 times)

Offline TheProspector

Re: CB360 Cafe
« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2016, 17:33:43 »
A few weeks ago, I removed my forks and brake assembly to start working on them.

The forks were a little rusty, but no bad pitting, so I started cleaning them up.

I got the old seals out with a seal puller, used an impact drill to remove the allen bolt, and polished the lower tubes.  It wasn't until I got one put back together that things didn't look right to me.  I guess I was too busy being worried about rust to notice, but both of the forks were bent.  You may be able to tell from the above picture...  Disappointed, I found another pair and rebuilt them once they came in.

I then turned my attention to the front brake caliper assembly.  I had bought a new housing, piston, seal, bleeder, pads, and bolts (basically everything.)  Put that all together.  The arm pivot pin was REALLY stuck, but some heat and persuasion helped it out.

Also polished up the front fender.  May have to pick up some banjo bolts.  I'm not sure where a few of mine are from the tear down.  Anyway, just wanted to update everyone.  Hope you all have a great Memorial Day weekend.

Offline advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2016, 01:55:25 »
Sucks about the forks. I added a grease fitting to the pivot point to avoid it seizing up again.

If you got an aftermarket caliper seal, check it for a small ridge in the middle of the seal on the inside and outside diameters. I bought one that happened to have these ridges and it made the piston inoperable. They are still available from Honda.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline TheProspector

« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2016, 12:17:37 »
adventurco: Thanks for the info and good job on the zerk.  Mine moves freely with some fresh grease.  I did get an OEM seal.  Even with slightly greasing it and the piston with brake grease, it was still quite a tight fit and took some pressure to seat the piston.  I'll check it's functionality once I get the brakes together just to be sure things are in good shape.  I've had to use clamps to gently push pistons in on cars when changing pads, but this seemed tight for sure.

Offline advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
« Reply #113 on: May 27, 2016, 13:08:29 »
If you had to use a clamp to get the piston in on the 360 caliper, chances are it won't have enough play in the gasket to return. If you pushed it in by hand (with a good amount of force) you should be good to go. Its an easy test once the brakes are bled and the wheel is installed, but a nuisance if you have to take everything back apart and refit the piston ( ask me how I know )

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #114 on: May 27, 2016, 13:16:46 »
adventurco: Thanks for the info and good job on the zerk.  Mine moves freely with some fresh grease.  I did get an OEM seal.  Even with slightly greasing it and the piston with brake grease, it was still quite a tight fit and took some pressure to seat the piston.  I'll check it's functionality once I get the brakes together just to be sure things are in good shape.  I've had to use clamps to gently push pistons in on cars when changing pads, but this seemed tight for sure.

Get the piston back out, the groove or edges of seal groove still have corrosion which is preventing the seal seating properly making piston too tight
Probably 30+ yrs ago I made a 'dovetail' scraper from a broken Phillips head screwdriver to clean them out properly.
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
Best thing I ever overheard
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0