I scored about 20 minutes yesterday to get her warmed up and fiddle with the mixture screws and see how my adjusted gear shift and chain felt. Everything seems pretty good now. I still had my idle wound up too much from the other day so given she was a bit leaner, running around the neighbourhood had her resisting dropping to idle nice and quick as she should.
Got home, reset the idle, did the highest RPM method, and seemed much better.
Definitely not as boggy off a closed throttle, but not quite sure if that's actually solved or not, need some more time in the saddle to work that out.
I've really gotta find some time to go and find somewhere away from traffic to do some plug chops. While I don't think she's going to be so lean as to hole pistons, I'd really rather be sure based on fact rather than theory...
And last night I got back into the garage for a short while to have another fiddle with the knee pads.
Drew up my design idea on the white board so I'd have something to go off:
Got some templates cut out of paper, and I ended up cutting the centre out of the rectangular piece so I could position it correctly over the "GS":
Traced it out onto the right hand knee pad:
And looks like the design should work and the position of the design on the knee pad should be good too:
So now I need to work out some horizontal grooves and then figure out the best way to carve it all out.
Ideally I'd like the area around the "GS" where I'm going to carve the horizontal lines to be lower than the rest, so that means taking probably a mm or so off that whole area and then carving the lines. Or it may be easier to carve the lines and then cut down the peaks that are left between the lines... time to suck it and see I guess.
Also, one of the guys over on the GSR had a brilliant idea of sticking some magnetic sheet to the back of the pads so they're not permanently attached... brilliant! http://www.ebay.ca/sch/Magnetic-Sheets-Supplies-/117514/i.html
Anyway, I also forgot to mention that my house mate brought home the carry rack off the old YB100 on the weekend so I could see if I can make it work on the GS.
My thoughts were if I can't source the optional genuine sports rack then I could get another grab rail off eBay or something and weld some generic rack on there to emulate how the genuine sports rack mounts on the tail piece.
The width of the rack shows it's a good candidate for this treatment:
I should be able to cut the bars around where the masking tape is and spread the lower bars to weld onto the grab rail:
I think it'll work well providing I can successfully weld it, which will be the most difficult part given my crap welding so far.
Have to wait for the new year before trying to track down a grab rail and starting on that though.