Ponycarman's '80 cm400t

ponycarman

Been Around the Block
Hey everyone first just like to say that Im a newb to the forum and to motorcycles. This is my first bike. This build will probably go slow because I will be using the bike to learn on as I am fixing it all up the way I like it. Now for some of my background. I have liked motorcycles and have wanted one for a while now. My mother never approved and it wasnt until I got married last december and moved out that I was able to start looking. I have a strong background in mechanics and cars. Went to a local school and graduated with an auto mechanics degree. My father owns an electrical service company and I work with him so I also have a strong background in electrics. But even with all this bikes are a new thing for me. But because of my mechanics experience it is pretty easy for me to pick up. Been into cars for a very long time and have a 1979 trans am that I have as a long term project and I have been working on a '86 bmw 325es a lot lately.

For those who care Im going to say a little about myself. If anyone wants to know me a little better hehe. Im 23. Still a newly wed I guess. Got married last december so not even a year yet. I like mostly anything dealing with motorsports and most things that have an engine. Also im a bit of a techno geek. I like video games and tinkering with eletronics. Pretty busy lately with work so I hope I can keep this thread going for yall. Im from down south here in upstate South Carolina. That explains the "yall" hehe. I was diagnosed with crohn's disease when I was 15 years old. I dont know if yall really care but it is a pretty big part of my life having to keep it under control and live with it. Im not going to waste time explaining it all because there is a lot I could say about it hehe. If you want to know more about it google it and you will learn everything about it. Just wanted to say something so if I post something about medication or an injection yall dont think Im a druggy. It can make me sick and tired sometimes also but working on stuff is good therapy.

Enough about me and my introduction. On to what yall really care about. The bike ;D . It is a 1980 honda cm400t. I picked it up a few weeks ago for my first bike. Probably paid a little too much for it but I really dont care cuz its all mine now. I have fell in love the cafe racer style so that is th way I plan on taking the build. I just ordered some parts for her yesterday so I figure I could start a build thread for the bike. First off here are some pics of her on the way home. Ill get some more pics soon
IMG_20110725_170149.jpg

IMG_20110725_170212.jpg

IMG_20110725_170224.jpg

IMG_20110725_170232.jpg

IMG_20110725_170239.jpg

As you can see the bike needs a little work but its not that bad at all. I ordered front and rear tires for it. The kenda challengers that Ive heard alot of peeps using. Got a brake lever, shift lever, and right side controls a couple weeks ago from a fellow forum member. I ordered a new throttle sleeve to replace the one I broke when trying to replace the controls doh :eek: . Ordered new throttle cables because mine were very old broke and sticking. Ordered a diode which I think is going to fix my starting problem. Tested the old one and it failed. The tank on the bike is pretty beat up. I ordered another tank for it today. It is in pretty good shape. Because Im going cafe with it I got a cx500 deluxe tank for it. I saw another cm with one on it and loved the look and the increased fuel capacity. Ill probably fix it up nice before it goes on. Might wait to put it im anyways so I dont beat up a nice tank with the newb mistakes that Im bound to make lol. Ill get some more pics for yall as the parts come in and get installed in the next few days. I need to get it road worthy first and start learning to ride before I dig deep into the bike. So be patient with me on this build It might take me a while. Learning to ride and learning the bike.

Thanks for listening to all my rambling lol. Im glad I found this forum. Ive been having a blast looking through all the builds and info. Saved the best for last hehe. Here is a vid of the bike, just ignore my ugly mug sitting on it ;)
1980 Honda cm400t

Re: Ponycarman's '80 cm400t

Congratulations on your new bike Brother! First motorcycle builds are always special so take your time and enjoy it!

joeyputt said:
Congratulations on your new bike Brother! First motorcycle builds are always special so take your time and enjoy it!

Thanks buddy! Im already having a blast. Everytime I walk near the bike I catch myself staring at it hehe. Cant wait to ride this thing.

Brother that part never goes away, or has not for me anyway! I have been building for all of my life and I still find myself sitting and staring! Hahahaha!

Sweet! I don't ever want it to go away for me either. I love the natural high I get from motorcycles and cars. Its like they give off a special energy.

Assuming you have it off the trailer now, Take some good pictures straight on LEFT SIDE, RIGHT SIDE, FRONT, REAR, They come in handy when it is to dark, Cold or hot to sit and stare at the real bike. Also gives you something to manipulate for ideas with "Paint" or Photo Shop if you have it :)

Sure thing man. I'll get some tomorrow. I've already been toying with looks and paint scemes. I think I have the colors narrowed down. Got the tank ordered. I need to decide on what to do for the seat. I love the rear cowl look but would like to be able to take the wife on a ride if she wants to. So a removable cowl might be in the future if I can make one up. I have a little fabrication experience so it shouldn't be a problem. I have a welder and have done other custom stuff on my cars. I would like to get a photoshop of the bike to get something to work toward.

ponycarman said:
Sure thing man. I'll get some tomorrow. I've already been toying with looks and paint scemes. I think I have the colors narrowed down. Got the tank ordered. I need to decide on what to do for the seat. I love the rear cowl look but would like to be able to take the wife on a ride if she wants to. So a removable cowl might be in the future if I can make one up. I have a little fabrication experience so it shouldn't be a problem. I have a welder and have done other custom stuff on my cars. I would like to get a photoshop of the bike to get something to work toward.
Yeah removable cowl would be nice. If you do decide to do that, please post some photos of it. I would be interested in that as well.
Or alternatively you might just go with a bigger seat anyways. Something sleek and low profile that would still complement the bike.

Re: Re: Ponycarman's '80 cm400t

poster said:
Yeah removable cowl would be nice. If you do decide to do that, please post some photos of it. I would be interested in that as well.
Or alternatively you might just go with a bigger seat anyways. Something sleek and low profile that would still complement the bike.

Yeah a long seat would still look good. I was hopping to have a splash of color in the back to keep the color scheme going all the way back. Could just do the rear fender with the same color to keep it going. Idk yet. That will come in time I guess. I just like to lay out the plans before I dig into a project.

you know i keep looking at the thread hoping you'll put up a good side profile of the bike. I don't think i have seen a seat setup like that before on a 400.

Really? I'll get some better pics up tomorrow. I don't really like the seat thats on it. Or mainlythe way it was done. The seat is sittinga little too far forward so it has dented the tank where it sits. The rear setup as near as is looks in the pics is the same crummy way of doing it. It looks like I curved piece of metal with plexiglass painted black for the sides lol. Good idea but bad exicution. The previous owner also set up blue LED's for the under glow effect lol. That was the first this to be taken off.

Might try to get a couple better pics from my phone tonight if there is enough light. So y'all don't have to wait so long hehe ;). The one thing I do like that the po did was the exhaust. It has the harley screaming eagle clamp on mufflers. I think it sounds ready good for a 400. Only thing is that the right side is bent all out of shape. I think I'm going to do a two to one with the left side muffler because it is still nice. Just tryng to be recourcefull with what is usable on the bike.

I don't blame you from trying to put as little extra into it than you have too, especially when your just getting started on riding. I just wanted to see a side view cause it looked like he was onto something but didn't quite get there. I just wanna see if it what i think it look like though.

It just looks to me if the sides were cut down a bit on the seat and moved it back a lil bit to make it more comfortable and clean up that tail section a bit that would be a really simple clean nonobtrusive look that flows well.

Yeah it could look a good bit better with a little tweaking. It looks a lot better in the pics than in person. It looks pretty smooth in the pics but its pretty choppy.

Alrighty guys as promised here are some more pics. Sorry if they arent perfect. They were done from my phone hehe.

IMG_20110812_192510.jpg

IMG_20110812_192448.jpg

IMG_20110812_192612.jpg

IMG_20110812_192709.jpg

Here is the first of the parts that I ordered to come in.

IMG_20110812_193553.jpg

IMG_20110812_201137-1.jpg

You can kinda see in the above pics that the seat and rear section was done pretty poorly. Gap under the seat, and it is noticeably sitting on the tank. Resulting in dents in the tank. You can also see that the rear section is two piece. The top is sheet metal and the sides looks like rough cut plexiglass that was painted black lol. I guess it could be worse though. At least the previous owner tried. Some side covers would clean it up a good bit. Ive thought about trying to make some because I have some sheet metal laying around.

Welcome to the site. All us CB/CM owners are kinda members of our own unofficial little club. You picked a good first bike as this thing is pretty easy to work on and parts are cheap. Some guys on the site have made some amazing bikes out of these things. Good luck with your build.

Back
Top Bottom