Yamaha XS900 Cafe Project "SHAFTY"

pugeyed

Been Around the Block
just bought this unfinished project from evil bay.
1980 xs850 triple

doesnt need much work to finish, although i may change a few bits and bobs.

Photos are crap but you get the gist

KGrHqRhQE3uqn4oBONSNCh1w0_12.jpg

KGrHqRl4E4lPkFbKCBONSVruMg0_12.jpg

KGrHqRl4E4lPkFbKCBONSY8eDQ0_12.jpg

KGrHqFjME4oUPEPeEBONSiUIcg0_12.jpg

;)

Re: new project yam xs850

Nice find! Theres a few of us here with xs750's which are real similar. Good luck and keep the pics comin!

new project yam xs850

Love me some yamaha's. How do you like those handle bars? Thinking I'm either gonna go with drags or clubmans for my xj.

im not a fan of the bars , id like to run some clipons but first time i have owned an xs, anybody know what size stantions they are?

hopefully being delivered to me next weekend. ;)

FINALLY! she has been delivered!
lots of photos folks.
new cone filters and clamps
DSCF0544.jpg

new fork brace
DSCF0546.jpg

stainless rear lamp
DSCF0547.jpg

brand new raask rear sets (£136!)
DSCF0550.jpg

speedo and rev counter (dont know if im using these as wanted to run a digital one)
DSCF0552.jpg

DSCF0554.jpg

and pics of the bike.
am gonna tear it apart though, seller said the frame was sprayed in 2k paint, but is blatantly just rattle can.
DSCF0556.jpg

DSCF0557.jpg

DSCF0560.jpg

DSCF0562.jpg

DSCF0563.jpg

DSCF0565.jpg

DSCF0568.jpg

DSCF0570.jpg

DSCF0571.jpg

DSCF0573.jpg

DSCF0576.jpg

seat isnt long enough so dont know bout that yet and the tank is mahooosive!

oh and engine, only done 16000km which works out to about 10k miles
all will be pulled apart and rebuilt.

DSCF0577.jpg

DSCF0579.jpg

2thumbs

so "what have you been doing today?" i hear you ask well

i took off all the stuff from the frame i wont be using,
still undecided on the tank but will see how it goes.

DSCF0625.jpg

found this nice fibreglass front mudguard in my pile of bits, needs a rub down but its in nice nick.
DSCF0627.jpg

changed the plated bolts in the fork clamp for stainless, and did a trial fit

DSCF0639.jpg

DSCF0637.jpg

took the cam cover off the engine to have a quick look see and its all good in there as far as a quick glance can tell, cams look good , no score marks .
underside of cam cover is clean which is nice.
DSCF0632.jpg

DSCF0630.jpg

What do we think people??

more to follow........

Looks great so far. That tank is a bit rare. I don't think we got it state side. SO TAKE CARE OF IT!!!

How did you find those Raask rear sets for so cheap? I really want some but I'm not paying $300+ for them.

Good luck with everything. If you have any questions you can always PM me for a ton of information I have stored ready to be emailed.

rear sets came with the project matey so i was a bit lucky there, looks like the chap who started it ran out of cash.

didnt realise the tank was rare , doesnt make me like it any more though lol. :-[
its just so BIG .
any info you can chuck my way will be a big help, one thing i am looking for is a wiring diagram, i have a very good loom , but i really dont want to butcher it , would rather make my own and get rid of all the stuff i dont need.

Thanks for your help and for looking !
Mark.

so took the front wheel bearings out and old seals and ordered new from simply bearings.

took the old exhaust studs out , they all came out withought any drama (thankyou plusgas)

took the back brake caliper off and dismantled it, piston was stuck in like a good un, was knackered anyway so took it out with molegrips.

ordered new stainless piston, new seal kit, banjo and nipple.

oh and kickstart rubber as mine was perished.

got outbid on a set of 3 into 1 headers , never mind.

couple of crappy phone pics.
DSCF0659.jpg

DSCF0661.jpg

DSCF0663.jpg

same with the front calipers it seems, need ripping apart and re-doing

didnt want to give up its piston
DSCF0666.jpg

haha it did in the end!
DSCF0668.jpg

only good thing about this bike is all the calipers are the same which makes it nice and easy. ;)

works out to about £50 a caliper.

those calipers are gonna look good, I just got done rebuilding my whole brake system on my xs 11. Both of my master cylinder were clogged up with some nasty junk my calipers weren't to bad but I put them in the blasting cabinet anyways.

The calipers are a pain in the butt. I had to get 2 new pistons, all new bleeders and rebuild kits. I almost should have gotten NOS calipers...but where is the fun in that? Looks good.

Looking good ! but LOVE the SRX600 supersingle ! miss mine lol where did you find the pistons and kit for the calipers?

small update,
dismantled , de-greased and blasted all the calipers,
came up better than expected tbh.
sprayed them up with metalic enamel paint my mate had left over .
they are now ready for rebuilding.
bit of a bonus, one piston wasnt knackered so only have to replace 2, think ill put the stainless one's up front and have the original steel one in the back brake.
sorry to drone on lol.
;)

DSCF0670.jpg

DSCF0671.jpg

DSCF0675.jpg

well fibreglass seat came today, dont get attached to it as its going back, not up to my standard im afraid.

DSCF0692.jpg

took the front end off

DSCF0689.jpg

anyone know what these lugs are for? (top big ones)
little ones are for oil cooler i pressume ?
DSCF0688.jpg

well new kickstart rubber turned up so put that on.
DSCF0700.jpg

took the swingarm out
DSCF0695.jpg

and the centre stand off.
DSCF0693.jpg

bloke i bought it from said he put new swingarm bearings in, we will see as he deffo hasnt put new seals in, if your gonna do a job right.... blar blar blar
DSCF0697.jpg

Good luck with the swing arm bearings. They are a pain in the ass for sure.

I built a puller for the the side you have pictured. Essentially I made a slide hammer.

For the other side I put a small bolt into each hole put a pipe over the bolt and pounded the pipe with a hammer working each side until it was free. If your holes are threaded you may just be able to pop it out without the hammering.

jugg can you elaborate on your process as i think im gonna struggle getting on these swingarm cups

so new piston and seal kit came today, rebuilt 1 caliper but wanted to crack on with the swing arm so will do the others later on.
DSCF0703.jpg

new spark plugs came, (yes i know im sad taking a photo of them lol)
DSCF0706.jpg

took the rear wheel out the swingarm and started taking the bearings out (they deffo havent been replaced as you can see the wear on the cup)
new kit is only £20 so not the end of the world.
think i can get on one cup to get it out but the other is in a blind hole :(
DSCF0707.jpg

DSCF0713.jpg

DSCF0711.jpg

took the top race out of the frame, bottom one is a little more tricky.
DSCF0715.jpg

worried that when i send the swingarm for powder the bearing holes will fill up with the stuff as i cant block them off like i normally do (threaded rod and large washers)

ho hum we will see....

so after 4 hours of cutting, grinding and filing, have removed all the tabs from the frame i dont need.
DSCF0732.jpg

DSCF0733.jpg

still need to shorten the rear frame loop as its far too long and sort out seat and battery tray mounts.
and weld in some frame bracing in the corners
but its getting there.
DSCF0737.jpg

took the lower head race out of the frame, had to weld a bolt across it so i had something to hit against, worked though....
DSCF0730.jpg

does anyone know what this tab is for? , thought it was ground mount so left it be until i work out what its for.

DSCF0735.jpg

Back
Top Bottom