Poll

Position of muffler...

Exit vertical
0 (0%)
Exit to the side
3 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: Sep 18, 2011, 20:47:09

Author Topic: 79' CB900 Bob/Chop/Brat/tracker??.... Build w Pics  (Read 24791 times)

Offline kilometric

• Young, dumb and havin fun.
79' CB900 Bob/Chop/Brat/tracker??.... Build w Pics
« on: Aug 31, 2011, 21:42:35 »
Finally decided that I should stop asking a heap of questions on here and put up a build thread of my project.

First time for me doing ANYTHING like this, never really worked on a project but after rupturing a ligament in my ankle practicing for Hattah desert race a few months back I decided to sell my MX bike  and get a project before my new bike for next season arrives and before i get kicked out of my home for being a grumpy turd and sitting around the house whilst in between surgery etc...

So long story short, I swapped from this...

to this....

It is a 1979 CB900, got it off a bloke on eBay, I wasn't really after something so big but this is what i found and i thought it was relatively neat for the price $1200 with a box of spares and 3 months rego...

So that was the base... looking to turn it into a wrenchmonkee/tracker sort of thing... i realise there will be people on here that wont agree and thats why it took me so long to decide wether or not to post a build thread but on looking everyone here seems pretty open to other projects so this is my bike that i am building for myself and having a heap of fun doing it!!

79' CB 900F - "The Pig"

Build thread-

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=29045.0

Offline kilometric

Re: 79' CB900 Bob/Chop/Brat/tracker??.... Build w Pics
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2011, 21:55:02 »

Some sort of plan for the pig.

79' CB 900F - "The Pig"

Build thread-

Offline kilometric

« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2011, 22:24:37 »

SO first things first, I pulled it all apart in a particular way that i made the most amount of debris in my dads shed... Its a skill that i was born with, not everyone has it but I can teach you.

Wrapped the headers...

buffed up the flanges...

After cleaning up the frame and what not, decided to get stuck into the tank

I found it had a pretty nice looking colour scheme at one stage, really nice blue under the colour of the tank...

Also started making up this seat pan, the aluminium i used was a really heavy gauge but it was something that i had lying around so $$$$ wins!

Fiddling around with the rear guard, I think i have decided to not put a hoop around the back so i can get the guard up and make the rear as low as possible..

Trying to use the original guard if possible, itd be nicer if it was 1/2" wider on either side but i will fiddle with it and make it work...
79' CB 900F - "The Pig"

Build thread-

Offline kilometric

« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 2011, 23:00:09 »
Removed the forks and wheels and sprayed them in a 2K Gloss Black

79' CB 900F - "The Pig"

Build thread-

Offline camit34

« Reply #4 on: Aug 31, 2011, 23:02:37 »
NICE...!!!  Keep the updates coming!
Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, leaking oil and shouting...JERONIMO!

Offline YogiBear

« Reply #5 on: Aug 31, 2011, 23:26:04 »
That's a 750.

Offline kilometric

« Reply #6 on: Sep 01, 2011, 00:28:50 »
no, its a 900, dont let the badge fool you...  ;)
79' CB 900F - "The Pig"

Build thread-

Offline kilometric

« Reply #7 on: Sep 01, 2011, 00:55:27 »
Also got some rearsets the other week, they are "Gimbel" found them on ebay, They were brand new and the bloke had no photos of it on a bike, so i took the gamble and it didnt really turn out well haha, I didnt realise how much they would make my foot go back and up... apart from that though they are a seriously nice looking set, really well finished but i think ill just go back to the original idea of modifying the stock pegs/brackets... when in doubt black it out!!

Also got my tracker bars in from DCC and some little switches, grips and some fork gaitors... ill put some photos up tonight of where I am currently at with my new speedo and tailight setups...  ;D

79' CB 900F - "The Pig"

Build thread-

Offline JRK5892

• The Powder Pro
« Reply #8 on: Sep 01, 2011, 15:02:29 »
really liking where this is going!!!
Joe
"your life is an occasion, Stand up to it"
www.thepowderpro.com

recent builds: Hd street bob, TX cafe, KZ bratt, Goldwing tour, bratt wing, st fighter, road king, vriago bobber, chop, FXD, 1200 sporty, 1200xl sporty, GSXR, Royal enfield.. and more

Offline kilometric

« Reply #9 on: Sep 05, 2011, 22:22:16 »
Been pretty busy with bits and pieces over the weekend, didnt get to do much on the bike, I did however finally find enough sunlight and heat (Melbourne, Australia can be a bit temperamental when it comes to weather patterns) to spray the frame and some other odds and ends. I had started painting the frame a few different times with Satin black then gloss black and then i finally decided i liked the look/durability of the wrinkle finish paint and I am pretty happy with how the job turned out!!

So I welded up the back of the frame that I had shortened up, cleaned up some bits and got to spraying with as many oil filled radiator heaters around me as possible (very proffesional!)

The finish turned out looking almost like skateboard grip tape, and has a really cool texture to it.

Welded some bits on the ends here to make it look a bit neater.

I got up to a mate of mine's auto elec garage and hijacked his sandblaster, cleaned up the forks clamps and some other bits, including the footpegs brackets that i have now decided i will use and modify myself after the rear set debacle... (For sale if anyone is interested in them)

Quickly just jammed the rear wheel back on to have a look at how it is looking with the new tyres i bought the other week, and i think I am pretty happy with it, the tyres arent as chunky as I wanted (think copper bavarian Pirelli Trials tyres etc...), the guru of tyres here in melbourne (Scotty from Pablo's Tyres) convinced me that having a bike that could possibly be doing speeds in excess of 200ks on trials tyres was a bad idea, even after i assured him this is simply something for me to cruise around on... i think he factored in some testosterone increases when i told him some other mates are building bikes as well... ::)

I am not sure at the moment what to do with the seat, dont really know how I am going to fasten or how I will be fastening the rear guard on, also beginning to think that the standard rear guard may not quite be wide enough so might have to have a fart around at some wreckers this weekend and find an alternative. Lucky I am working through these problems now AFTER i have painted the frame i know... haha but I have paint left over, if i need to touch it up it shouldnt be a drama, i just want to get the front end back in and looking like a bike again!

P.S Any thoughts on the tyres....? I am not sure if i should maybe get the grinder out and put some more grooves across (left to right) just to give it a bit more of an offroad look...
79' CB 900F - "The Pig"

Build thread-