www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: lets see your 3/4 helmets (only)  (Read 30730 times)

Offline tron97

Re: lets see your 3/4 helmets (only)
« Reply #80 on: Aug 16, 2012, 04:50:55 »
Is it a vintage helmet? Old ones are smooth plastic shells that have been painted from the inside unless it's a solid color that's been molded in colored plastic. Anyhow... Of you're painting on plastic, you do want to evenly scuff the surface before the base coat. Paint + glass smooth surfaces = peeling paint. Make sure you use a primer made for plastic as well.

Now, some vintage helmets are fibreglass that has been painted. If the paint is in good condition than just scuff and spray. A nice coat of filler primer (in both instances) is always nice. Let it dry completely and wet sand it. Prep is key to a good paint job.

Now, if there are decals on the helmet, they'll obviously need removed. Not just the decal but any remaining adhesive. Remember the whole " prep is key"?

Now for the disclaimer...

If your painting a vintage lid, this doesn't matter as your helmet stopped being functional from a safety standpoint a loooong time ago. But if you're going to paint a new bucket, be aware that paint is made of chemicals. Chemicals that oft times react very poorly with plastic. Some paints (More so the solvents used to keep it liquid In the can) will ruin the integrity of the shell, rendering the helmet basically useless from a safety standpoint.

Now, get to work...

A bit of a myth.. The company's put out the warning as a liability to cover their own asses. Really, what it means is, a custom painted helmet has no way of showing any damage already done, since it has been painted over.

Sure, a custom painted helmet may effect the warranty, but it has no structural effect on the helmet itself.

Bell even has a list of custom painters right on their webpage.

BBBBRAP!

Offline VonYinzer

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #81 on: Aug 16, 2012, 07:23:19 »
What part is the myth? The part where I say that some paint can negatively effect plastic? That is 100% fact. Not that it matters. Moat people here are more concerned with fashion and arguing anyway.
Like a river that don't know where it's flowin'
I took a wrong turn and just kept goin'

Offline TJGM

• Of Wild Kind...
« Reply #82 on: Aug 16, 2012, 09:29:40 »
Here's mine.  My design, meant to go with my '69 CB350, painted by Josh at Old School Helmets. 

Are you a vampire ?   Where's your reflection ?

Cool helmet, my favourite Honda logo.

~T

Offline lingo

• social pariah
« Reply #83 on: Aug 16, 2012, 18:37:09 »
I can vouch that yooper is in fact a vampire.
CB450K3- organ donor
CB450K3- On the road again.

Offline ZVT

« Reply #84 on: Aug 27, 2012, 21:14:27 »
My fulmer I got for $10 bucks and redid  everything including reline the interior with kevlar(lil overkil but you can never be to safe.

I also have a black lsi 4150 that I am gonna turn into a jim goose replica already have the parts just need the time

before and after
ZVTDESIGNS-AUTOMOTIVE ARTIST AND VEHICLE DESIGN

FAILURE SELDOM STOPS YOU.WHAT STOPS YOU IS FEAR OF FAILURE

Offline jbrtwork

« Reply #85 on: Sep 01, 2012, 16:11:20 »
$5 yard sale find this morning. 1975 sticker inside. Now... gotta let all that DIY creativity flow!

"It's a test, designed to provoke an emotional response... Shall we continue?"

Offline VonYinzer

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #86 on: Sep 01, 2012, 16:24:02 »
My fulmer I got for $10 bucks and redid  everything including reline the interior with kevlar(lil overkil but you can never be to safe.

I also have a black lsi 4150 that I am gonna turn into a jim goose replica already have the parts just need the time

before and after

Great work. Did you re-line it, or did you have someone do it?
Like a river that don't know where it's flowin'
I took a wrong turn and just kept goin'

Offline ZVT

« Reply #87 on: Sep 03, 2012, 16:39:38 »
Great work. Did you re-line it, or did you have someone do it?

I did it all myself I got some kevlar and carbon fiber fabric and lined that and then did the foam over that...

It was easy once I got the hang of getting those damn snaps in...they were a pain
ZVTDESIGNS-AUTOMOTIVE ARTIST AND VEHICLE DESIGN

FAILURE SELDOM STOPS YOU.WHAT STOPS YOU IS FEAR OF FAILURE

Offline MILKY

• cafe con leche
    • Garage Artists MC
« Reply #88 on: Sep 04, 2012, 07:12:10 »
$5 yard sale find this morning. 1975 sticker inside. Now... gotta let all that DIY creativity flow!

envy!

Offline jbrtwork

« Reply #89 on: Sep 07, 2012, 17:30:03 »
Well... this is how the $5 yard sale Shoei turned out. Painted then faux aged it and relined with a couple of old shirts. Not perfect by any means, but learned a lot for the next one.

"It's a test, designed to provoke an emotional response... Shall we continue?"