Here we go again....xv920 Turbo?

Re: Here we go again....xv920?

Hell yeah, Lou! Stoked for ya. I am looking forward to progress my man.

That looks like a good start Swaps. There is other Yammy wheels I believe will swap over. I can't remember which models but I think there is a bunch of the shaft drive bikes that have the same axle and bearing size etc. Beachcomber may have had a list as he is building a chain drive version of the same bike. There even is spoke wheels I think. May be wrong but worst case you can black the wheels out to hide the swirly spokes.

Louie, not suggesting you try this, but a couple of weeks ago I was in a Yamaha dealership in Woodstock IL buying a plug cap and a liter of oil and outside was the nicest 920 on the planet. It ws built by the guy that owns/manages the place - an ex dirt track and ice racer. He made his own chrome moly frame that he had nickel plated. It was such a tight wrap around the motor I have no idea how he got it in and out. It was set up as a street tracker and it looked simply amazing. All function.

A pair of stainless Supertrapps on the side and the sound was fantatstic. He claimed it made 100hp IIRC and I have no reason to doubt that. One of his race bikes used a Yamaha TZ 250 motor with a 750 top end and that's what I raced for a couple of years (on road circuits) so he knows his stuff.

No pics, so I need to go back with a camera and grab some before the white stuff falls from the skies and clogs the streets.

Out of curiosity, can you explain what all it takes for the chain conversion?

I know there were chain versions in Europe and I would expect that it wouldn't take much, but I am curious.

There was a really slick one in Durham last weekend that was well done.

The stock versions aren't much to look at in my opinion, but they really clean up well and the engine is decent except for the starter clutch issues.

I've seen the bike Teazer is talking about as well... I was blown away by the concentric swingarm pivot... So Lou, I had no idea these could be converted from shaft to chain... You'll have to post some in-depth photos! If it's possible to do, you just opened up a whole new possible route for Virago owners to customize their mounts...

I'm always looking for one of these to pick up on the cheap to do eactly what yer doing. Thats a good dea man, run with that bike.

I kinda dig the little/big seca wheels. It's kinda fun...

This bike is going to be great. I'm guessing you have no idea again...but where did you get that seat? I want one for my xs750.

Ok let's see.......

If it's in good shape a 650 turbo may be a little small but that's not bad in this case.
The OE rods probably won't hold up to more than 6-8psi but that should yield a nice kick in the ass. Figuring for a draw thru carb, something like 38-40mm VM mech slide will be good. I don't know what the OE ignition curve looks like for this bike but I doubt there's much to worry about as far as timing is concerned, though some way to retard it at the tip-top of the rpm range might be useful. Do yourself a favor and grab a small intercooler from a Subaru or other little car and cool the incoming charge; heat is an issue for these bikes especially the rear cylinder. An external oil cooler wouldn't hurt.
That being said; you should get 90-ish out of it as it is.
The guts of an 1100 will drop into your cases; wanna get crazy? You could see 120-125 maybe a bit more with more ccs and a mega/micro squirt controller for EFI and ignition. With that you have full control of the fuel and ignition map, can drive externals like a C)2 sprayer for the intercooler or even methanol injection!

But yeah...conservatively speaking you should get into the 90's on this...

Back
Top Bottom