What can you guys tell me about a '72 CL175?

dean owens

Pittsboro, NC
I have a friend I trust who is hooking me up with a '72 CL175 with about 13k miles. The pictures show a pretty clean bike. Only known issue is one of the carbs is gummed up. I'm trying to figure out what I should do. Options...

1 - Clean the carbs, get it running and flip it for a profit and use the money for my CX cafe project.
2 - Clean the carbs, get it running and use it to tool around in the dirt at my in-laws. There's a lot of flat farm land and my father-in-law takes my girls out on the four-wheeler all the time. figured it'd be nice to have something to tag along with.

Because I have the CX project, I don't really have the desire to spend time doing anything major with the CL175. So no cafe project there.

Guess the questions are...
1 - How reliable are these when maintained?
2 - How much maintenance is required on these to keep them up and running?
3 - Would this bike be worth using as a "quasi-dirtbike"?

If it wouldn't be worth using as a "dirtbike" I'm just going to flip the bike. But I'd really like to have something cheap to use in the dirt. With the price I'm getting this at I'd be fine using it as long as it'll hold up. Again, not doing any jumping or hard riding.

Thoughts?

I'd say get it running first, drive it around a bit on whatever roads it can handle and then see where you are with it's usefulness once you get it running. I imagine they are no more difficult to maintain than the points, oil changes and other routine maintenance.

thanks for the reply. wasn't sure what sort of reputation these bikes have. didn't know if they were known as strong or had some major weaknesses.

i do plan to get it running. but i don't really have need for another road bike. if i can't use this for tooling around in the dirt it'll go up on craigslist once i get it running.

Yeah they are pretty good lil bikes. Average maintenance, etc. As for a dirtbike, if that's what you are after, id flip the cl, and buy a small dirtbike. Maybe a xr100 or something. In the long run, a dirtbike will handle dirt better than a roadbike. Even tho ppl do it all the time, its just better. My dad had a cl175 back in the day and said the same thing. It will work, but purpose built dirt scoots trump road bikes every time.

The 175s are terrific little bikes. But theyre just that, little bikes. You can do a cheap sprocket change and gain more bottom end (what ya want with a dirt machine) but they arent made for riding in the weeds. Doesnt mean they cant be fun though. Other than the power (or lack there of) issue, the suspension is junk. Its barely up to par on flat, paved roads. Find some proper off road shocks that'll fit, and some old xl175 (i think theyre the same diameter) forks and front wheel. Or... Ya could just sell me the bike for next to nothing. ;) Hahaha...

Back
Top Bottom