www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: '71 CB175 - Cafe Project  (Read 24181 times)

Offline cleave6

Re: '71 CB175 - Cafe Project
« Reply #41 on: Nov 25, 2011, 09:05:20 »
Hey, new member here.  insomnia-fueled browsing brought me to your build thread via DSHEP's thread.  Just finished reviving a '73 cb175 and got to ride it yesterday, hence the browsing.  nice looking work you're doing.

i would be reluctant to put those aftermarket carbs on there before trying to track down stock parts (or kits), just my .02 worth.  i found an ebay auction you might find interesting:
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CL175-CB175-nos-carb-body-and-two-extra-carburetors-/350508767523?hash=item519bf35923&item=350508767523&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_1281

not a bad price and it seems like you would get what you need, and then some.

just thinking out loud about the dings and scratches in your slide: maybe some debris from the fuel talk? if your bike is like mine, it didn't have inline fuel filters when you got it, which is silly since they're so cheap and helpful. spend a couple bucks on a pair.

i was having idling issues also, rpm's were slow to fall after revving, and then would slowly drop to zero.  i had the carbs cleaned, and new hardware (jets, needles, screws) installed in them, and now it runs like a dream.

hope some of that is helpful, i'm learning all of this stuff as i go!  Good luck, looking forward to the next update!
someone stole my moped, so i bought a motorcycle. everybody wins.

Offline Flash

« Reply #42 on: Nov 26, 2011, 00:45:55 »
I've seen dings and scratches put into slides by rough mechanics using long screwdrivers as levers to loosen up sticky carb components.

Offline jonnyTHUNDERmaker

« Reply #43 on: Nov 26, 2011, 03:51:47 »
Thanks for the info guys. I actually bought a pair of stock carbs from a fellow DTTer (thanks BigRich) As soon as I have some free time I will get back to work on the bike. Hopefully all I will have to do is slap the new slides on, tune up the carbs a bit, and line my fuel tank. We shall see...

+1 on the inline fuel filters, I always throw those on first thing after I clean up the carbs.

p.s. Welcome to DTT ;)

Offline cortezthedog

« Reply #44 on: Nov 27, 2011, 16:37:17 »
Great looking bike so far.  I'm partial to these little bikes - I started with almost the exact bike you have, blue and all.  Keep up the good work.

« Reply #45 on: Nov 28, 2011, 01:03:19 »
Nice Cortez!!! I plan on doing the exact same thing to my tank, but opposite colors. White on top and black on the bottom. Great looking bike. What jet sizes are you running? Do you have a build blog on here?

Offline cortezthedog

« Reply #46 on: Nov 28, 2011, 17:48:27 »
Never changed the jets from the originals.  No problems yet.  Here is my old thread.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=12492.msg114810#msg114810

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #48 on: Nov 29, 2011, 01:57:51 »
A few suggestions for your winter build program.

Weld on stubs for rear sets - you really need them with low bars
Get a decent pair of mufflers that muffle and provide some back pressure without choking it at higher revs.
Stock carbs will work fine, but you may need to raise teh main jets one or two sizes depending on how well/badly the intake and exhaust breathe.

If you still need adjusting screws or other small parts after you strip and clean both sets and build one good set, let me know, I may have some parts here for those carbs - if I didn't send them to the recycling depot.

« Reply #49 on: Nov 29, 2011, 02:39:48 »
Thanks Teazer,

The set of carbs I got from Big Rich (thanks again Rich) are currently soaking. I'll be going over them in the morning. Should have everything I need. Where would you suggest getting jets for these guys? I have bought jets for mikunis, but not these keihin's.

I'll also be on the lookout for some mufflers. I really like how short these current ones are so I am looking for some pretty short ones.

Also on the list for tomorrow is to seal up my tank. There is currently a little tiny pinhole where the front right mount bracket is welded on, so hopefully a good seal will cover that up.