Car/Motorcycle show trophies

snapper33

This is a timely thread. I was just at the CVG carshow in New Albany, OH. I noticed that the awards classes were not equitable. Examples:

Cars had
Best of '50, '60, '70
Best Camaro
Best Mustang
Best Chevrolet
Best Lambo
Best Ferrari
People's Choice Award

Not equitable as there was a very nice Cougar, it could have won best of '70 or people's choice award, but there was not a best Mercury...

Motorcycles had
Best Custom
Best Harley-Davidson
Best Sport Bike
People's Choice Award

There was a nice little restored stock CB350 that could only have won the People's Choice award, which it did. If there was a Best H-D, why was there not a Best Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki etcetera.

Also, I don't know how anyone won the people's choice awards as the people didn't get a vote sheet to submit.

I learned a lot while paying attention to how the categories were stacked.

4eyes said:
In a lot of shows, it's not what you build, but who you know.
Ain't that the truth!!

Alot of times the show catagories revolve around the host clubmembers rides, or how popular those classes have been in the past.
And I don't know if you were entered in the show, but generally a Peoples Choice ballot is given to show entrants only. Rarely have I seen voting done by the general public.

Because its not worth making a trophy if one bike shows up. You can bet there will be a bazillion Harleys that all look the same with the same parts at every show.

Short of specal occasion, I gave up going to the shows around here. Last time a guy rolled in with a Chang Jang side car rig and took it all. The next year, a stock Suzuki M109.

Oh yea, ALL THEY PLAY IS 1950'S AND 1960'S MUSIC!

Redbird. Yes I was entered, and they didn't have a class I could have won in except people's choice. And NOBODY got to vote people's choice.

Bradj: about 15 Lambos

Hey, I don't know what kinda show you stumbled in to, or whether it was clowns or professionals running it. But you should've been asked what class you wished to compete in. I don't know what you've done to your bike, but if it's not stock, you could have competed in the Custom class and/or the Sportbike class. If they did not ask you, and/or you did not choose a class to compete in, then you most likely weren't taken into consideration for any class. And that'll severely limit your chances of winning. And "Peoples Choice" is not a class, it's an overall (supposedly) non-judged award voted on by (again, supposedly) entrants and/or the public.
I'd look at it as a learning experience... as 4eyes stated, most shows aren't "what you've built" but "who you know", and all things being equal (and most times not even that close)... they're going to give the award to a clubmember over an unknown entrant. That, and read the fine print (and ask questions) before you enter another show. Much like Rat, the only shows I enter are for charities/benefits that I believe in. And I do so with the only expectations of making a donation and hanging out with friends. Anything more than that and you're setting yourself up for dissappointment.

Redbird, it sure was a learning experience.

I went in order to support the charity, not to compete for a trophy. This was the first time that I ever entered a show. I have several bikes, mostly old RDs and a Suzuki triple, but I entered a stock '82 Yamaha XJ550 Seca. I guess it could have competed in '80s, best stock, best Yamaha or won People's Choice. I bet the judges put me in sportbike category ( which it's not). A brand new Aprillia won sportbike and I took note that the owner ( good dude) was friends with the host. I've tried to get someone at CVG to discuss the judging with me (not due to being mad; I'm not) just hoping to 1) learn what category my bike was in and 2) offer some thoughts on improvement for next year. They will not return my calls.

I enter shows all the time. You get the best parking space that way. It's always nice to win something, but I usually dont. I did win best (bike) of show once for being the only bike there, and I got a "best oldschool" the other weekend at a mostly Harley show, that was pretty cool.

I don't know if I've ever been to a show that's as ridged at what Redbird's describing with the exception of Goodguys with my Ranchero. Usually whomever just votes for whatever they like in whichever category they think it fits in, and all the people that entered the show get to vote.

If you don't like the way they do it, start your' own show :)

Back
Top Bottom