www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Motorcycles Versus . . . Apple?  (Read 5250 times)

Offline ABull

Motorcycles Versus . . . Apple?
« on: Nov 07, 2011, 12:32:31 »
Forgive me if this NY Times piece has already been referenced:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/06/opinion/sunday/is-the-iphone-replacing-the-motorcycle.html?_r=1&src=recg

The thesis is that Apple products (for example) are supplanting motorcycles as the "cool" purchase for a younger generation. A little bit of a logical fallacy, but . . .

Discuss.
That money get funny. . .
              Peter Tosh

Offline VonYinzer

• DTT SUPPORTER
Re: Motorcycles Versus . . . Apple?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2011, 13:21:58 »
Rubbish.
Like a river that don't know where it's flowin'
I took a wrong turn and just kept goin'

Offline 66replica

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • The Wrecking Crew
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2011, 13:29:03 »
Someone couldn't think of anything to write this week...

Offline MotorbikeBruno

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Carb cleaning in MN
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2011, 13:31:05 »
To me, I see his point.   The kids nowadays are interested in their tech, less concerned about working (in general, let alone working hard), and spend most of their time on the gadgets they do have.  To put what I'm saying into some perspective, I'm only 26 years old, so I'm not THAT much older than the next generation.  But I do see it, very clearly. 

I came from a very mechanical family. My dad was the kid that would weld the lawnmower engine to the bicycle they had, and watch as it fell off while his brother rode it!  I picked that up and have been wrenching on bikes, hell anything I can get my hands on for fun.  Today, I see less of the mechanical minded kids, and more of the tech. Not to say it's a bad thing, but there is a disconnect with the manufacturing type of economy we used to be I suppose....hell, not sure if I'm wording it correctly like that, but I hope you get what I mean.  I'd rather spend 400 on ANY junky looking bike than an apple product, but that's how I grew up I suppose.

Offline Mr.E

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Got to keep the loonies on the path...
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2011, 13:31:42 »
Ppppptttthhhhhhhh!!!!   Really? What's next? People with mustaches prefer dr. Martens footwear?

Offline aHbe Racer

• It is a lifestyle, a movement, it is the journey..
    • ahberacer.com
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2011, 13:38:16 »
To me, I see his point.   The kids nowadays are interested in their tech, less concerned about working (in general, let alone working hard), and spend most of their time on the gadgets they do have.  To put what I'm saying into some perspective, I'm only 26 years old, so I'm not THAT much older than the next generation.  But I do see it, very clearly. 

I came from a very mechanical family. My dad was the kid that would weld the lawnmower engine to the bicycle they had, and watch as it fell off while his brother rode it!  I picked that up and have been wrenching on bikes, hell anything I can get my hands on for fun.  Today, I see less of the mechanical minded kids, and more of the tech. Not to say it's a bad thing, but there is a disconnect with the manufacturing type of economy we used to be I suppose....hell, not sure if I'm wording it correctly like that, but I hope you get what I mean.  I'd rather spend 400 on ANY junky looking bike than an apple product, but that's how I grew up I suppose.

MotorbikeBruno - I totally get what your saying and totally agree. The younger generation seems to want things turn key, ready to go, instead of working on anything. and the techy stuff gets more media attention cuz it only benefits the media outlets (tv, movies, games etc...) I too remember my brother piecing together a bicycle out of other bikes, and while I am definitely more of the techy, I appreciate the effort of making something with your own hands
Passion. Style. Community. Emerging from vintage roots ushering in the coming culture. Clothing the urban village with moto-inspired apparel.

Offline ABull

« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2011, 13:45:05 »
Bruno, I think if there is any redeeming value in the NY Times opinion piece it is the comment on the generational shift, which you alluded to. Unfortunately, replacing the kind of Apple, techy knowledge with mechanical knowledge only makes us more susceptible to consumerism, which appeared to be aHbe Racer's point.
That money get funny. . .
              Peter Tosh

Offline VonYinzer

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2011, 14:08:01 »
I think a missed aspect here is that the article isnt talking about building or customizing bikes. Its about the fact that our society is quickly becoming more interested and based opon the idea of experience through media that experience through action. Why go on an afternoon ride and meet up with guys from another area for a beer and wings, when you can Skype with them? Why get on a bike and truly immerse youself in the sights, smalls and sounds of a cool little town you've never been too when you can visit their website? Whos cooler; the guy with the latest toys that keep him chained to virtual representations of the world, or the guy on the motorcycle who is part of the reality so many ignore? The appeal of "the biker" has always been that they are the wanderers, and the adventurers. That was cool. That was interesting. Now its more attractive to download a bands new album than it is to see them live and buy the CD from their merch table. Theres little respect for the vagabonds in todays world.
Like a river that don't know where it's flowin'
I took a wrong turn and just kept goin'

Offline minidriver8

« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2011, 14:26:08 »
i'm just sitting on my 73 honda waiting for the EMP! ; )

Offline MotorbikeBruno

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Carb cleaning in MN
« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2011, 14:28:08 »
Now its more attractive to download a bands new album than it is to see them live and buy the CD from their merch table. Theres little respect for the vagabonds in todays world.

So true.  Maybe I didn't take the article for how it was written, but it struck a chord with me as far as the tech and how you hear so many "life uneducated" people, aka those that do nothing but talk about stuff in the media and on the internet and not actually DO anything.  For me its just hard to see because I'm not even that "old" so to speak.  I'm just lucky and very happy with the fact that I not only respect working for things in the here and now, I also respect what has been, and what will be too.