Poll

none

xT
0 (0%)
e
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: Nov 28, 2011, 09:44:41

Author Topic: '71 CL350 - First Bike, First Cafe  (Read 13985 times)

Offline session101

'71 CL350 - First Bike, First Cafe
« on: Nov 21, 2011, 00:56:49 »
So i bought this bike from John on here, and took it home and got started on getting a title...
time passed and i got anxious so i started tearing it down because even if i couldn't get it registered i could part it out... After getting the bike stripped, not long after i got the title in the mail (YAY)

so I have a blog with the build that i update but ill add to it on here to keep you guys posted.

This is my first motorcycle, so i hope i can learn the most from this build and forever apply the knowledge wherever i go, I only have automotive experience but nothing that involves fully tearing down a motor and rebuilding it. I will be asking for a lot of help and guidance so bear with me on that. anyway here are some pics of what is going on.

Offline session101

Re: '71 CL350 - First Bike, First Cafe
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2011, 01:00:52 »
more pics

Offline session101

« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2011, 01:05:28 »

Offline session101

« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2011, 01:06:42 »
So grinding off my center stand and other tabs... then welding up most of the frame

Offline session101

« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2011, 01:34:06 »
So basically Im deciding what to do about the motor, i don't know if i have the capabilities to tear it all down and build it all back up, or if i should just take it to a shop that would have a faster turn around and be able to hopefully do it right... Im hoping to only clean the motor, new seals, SS bolt kit, roller cam chain, KA chain slipper and hopefully just new rings and hone after cleaning the pistons...

I have realized from many posts... YOU CANNOT MAKE A CB350 FASTER FROM MOTOR MODS!!

the key is to make the motor stock, and just make it bullet-proof, you want to go faster, then you do it with the weight, that's the only way to make the bike faster.

I decided to start with the carbs... nice yellow gummy gel on the inside of the float bowl and other areas..

Offline session101

« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2011, 01:39:44 »
So i only started cleaning the first carb so i will have the 2nd as a reference where everything goes, so after an overnight bath in carbeurator cleaner and then a nice scrub and dip in some simple green, they turned out pretty nice. I am looking at ordering a SS bolt kit for the carbs and i will need to buy a rebuild kit for the carbs, don't know which one to buy, any help or success stories with that? and i need to get the gaskets and filter for my petcock.

Oh and I also picked up this bench for a mere $35 which was well worth it, so here's my setup now

Offline MNBikerPup

• Newbie Rider into all motorcycles.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2011, 01:49:23 »
So i bought this bike from John on here, and took it home and got started on getting a title...
time passed and i got anxious so i started tearing it down because even if i couldn't get it registered i could part it out... After getting the bike stripped, not long after i got the title in the mail (YAY)

so I have a blog with the build that i update but ill add to it on here to keep you guys posted.

Chuckle, I did the same thing with my first bike (1981 Kawasaki KZ650). Took a year for me though to get a title. Now, need carb work. LOL Good luck on your build.

This is my first motorcycle, so i hope i can learn the most from this build and forever apply the knowledge wherever i go, I only have automotive experience but nothing that involves fully tearing down a motor and rebuilding it. I will be asking for a lot of help and guidance so bear with me on that. anyway here are some pics of what is going on.

Offline AlphaDogCustoms

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Science is true whether you believe in it or not.
    • Alpha Dog Customs
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2011, 10:53:58 »
What makes you think the motor needs to be rebuilt?
I wouldn't rebuild it unless there is evidence that you need to. It has less than 6,000 miles on it. Get it running first, then you can evaluate the condition of the engine.
...every dump I take is original too, and it doesn't smell any better because of it's originality.

Alpha Dog Custom Cycles
Painting
Powdercoating
Custom Fabrication
Repairs
I'm so old, I even know what ignition points are.

Offline session101

« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2011, 13:17:12 »
my reasoning is... the motor is already out, why not? and i did a compression check with poor results, besides if i get this motor back in and it runs for only 1000 miles then breaks ill be pissed, i would rather just freshen it up and have confidence that it won't give me problems for a while

Offline AlphaDogCustoms

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Science is true whether you believe in it or not.
    • Alpha Dog Customs
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2011, 13:34:03 »
How did you do that compression test? Did you activate the starter to spin it over? Did you have the carbs off or blocked open, including having the slides blocked open?

An engine that has been sitting for a long time will usually give a poor compression test. The cylinders will be dry, and of course, the engine is cold.

Seriously, taking the engine apart "just because" is kinda silly. Build the bike first, and get the engine running. Why waste money on a rebuilt that in all likelihood you don't need.
...every dump I take is original too, and it doesn't smell any better because of it's originality.

Alpha Dog Custom Cycles
Painting
Powdercoating
Custom Fabrication
Repairs
I'm so old, I even know what ignition points are.