www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: Down under, an idiot and a 400F  (Read 348146 times)

Offline neevo

• The blog of my custom CB400F build
Down under, an idiot and a 400F
« Reply #50 on: Dec 07, 2011, 17:44:56 »
No problem, thanks anyway Ryan.

There should be plenty around my way that can do it.

See the condensed version of my full build on my blog!

Offline neevo

« Reply #51 on: Dec 07, 2011, 20:16:30 »
Took the oil restrictors out of the head and the seals fell apart. Where can I get replacements?

Offline neevo

Re: Down under, an idiot and a 400F
« Reply #52 on: Dec 07, 2011, 20:20:28 »

Offline bikeboy

• a cb900 tragic
« Reply #53 on: Dec 07, 2011, 21:48:51 »
Actually are these the parts?

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB400F-SUPER-SPORT-FOUR/part_51274/

Yeah, but you should be looking on ebay for a gasket set. You're going to need one anyway. Those are included (at least in the set I bought??)

Oh, I should qualify that first statement. The two feeders have different sized o-rings if I remember correctly??

cheers
ian
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2011, 21:52:45 by bikeboy »

Offline Kanticoy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #54 on: Dec 07, 2011, 23:44:07 »
Yeah man, better get this one to be safe.

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB400F-SUPER-SPORT-FOUR/part_28474/

It does have those gaskets.
I get not knowing, but I can't for the life of me understand not trying. It's only metal it can be fixed. Man up and risk a mistake in exchange for a lesson.
'

Offline neevo

« Reply #55 on: Dec 07, 2011, 23:59:50 »
Are you 2 my Cafe Racer spirit guides ;)

Always on hand for me, thanks gents.

Offline Kanticoy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #56 on: Dec 08, 2011, 00:47:39 »
Hahaha!  I'm just a sucker for a man that loves a 400f.  They are and have always been my favorite bike.  Takes a special fella to love them enough to bring them back from the dead.  And no problem Neevo.   

BTW, I love the tank.  Never saw one done up like that but I definitely dig it!
I get not knowing, but I can't for the life of me understand not trying. It's only metal it can be fixed. Man up and risk a mistake in exchange for a lesson.
'

Offline neevo

« Reply #57 on: Dec 08, 2011, 02:30:54 »
Hahaha!  I'm just a sucker for a man that loves a 400f.  They are and have always been my favorite bike.  Takes a special fella to love them enough to bring them back from the dead.  And no problem Neevo.   

BTW, I love the tank.  Never saw one done up like that but I definitely dig it!

I have to say its mostly from ignorance that I am where I am. The 400F was just the prettiest bike I saw, especially with the straight headers, and for my cafe project I needed a bike with a straight rear frame. Read a bit on the intermernets and worked out that the CB was a classic and lo and behold a train wreck of a 400F Super Sport turned up in my price bracket (bugger all). I liked the fact it was in an aweful state too, really makes the end result even more special.

Just jumping in head first with the build and not really thinking about how hard things are, just having a go. Loved the looks of the Benjie tanks with the big scoops but couldn't afford one, so needs must and I got the grinder out. I think its turning out really well. Waiting for the big roadblocks to rear their heads.

Offline neevo

« Reply #58 on: Dec 08, 2011, 05:53:46 »
Slowly running out of things that don't cost money so I might be coming to a brick wall soon. Have decided I am going to get the frame fixed first (new rear frame section, repair tube where side stand goes and fit rear hoop). Will then get the bike rolling with new rims and spokes before getting the motor fixed and buttoned up.

Decided to cut more out if the bike this evening:

The rear was tweaked where the forklift had hit it. This is the base of the backbone:

This is near the rear frame brace:

Struggled to bend the frame even after some blowtorch and hammer action, so I thought laterally and went and nicked the wife's car jack out of her car:

Overextended the frame and it bounced back pretty damn straight:

Still need to tweak the section after the shock mount, but it's much better:

Might have to fashion some sort of jig to straighten out the sections round the shock mount.

Also had a crack at getting some paint stripper on the tank, unfortunately it made the black on top go all gloopy and barely touched the multiple layers underneath. I think I need some better stuff:

Lastly wanted to keep the rear mudguard holder off the damaged frame section so I can weld it back on and know its the same as the other side:

Need to get it in a vice to get it nice and straight again:

Measured the tube that I cut off, looks about 2mm, anyone know what gauge this is? I have a local engineering co quoting the hoop and frame sections and would prefer like for like. Also anyone know what steel it is? Mild? Chrome moly?

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #59 on: Dec 08, 2011, 06:05:54 »
Great work Neevo - Wife's car jack - you just found a low tech Portapower !!!!!

Re: tank paint. As you are going to have to skim most of it with filler to get the shape back / you want and lose the inevitable rippling caused by welding [ however slight ], why not just hit it with a DA sander? I HATE using those  chemical jobies and by the time I've paid 10 for the gloop + all the aggro - I'd rather pay someone 15 to blast it all off !

I here what you're saying about finaces - exactly my position. Stuff only gets bought when I've released some cash from selling unwanted parts. Can be really frustrating and slow the project down [ I have THREE ] - but you'll get there and with greater satisfaction than some high roller who pulls a wad out of his pocket and says "build me a bike".

Now if only I hadn't sold my 400F .......................................
"if at first you don't succeed, you've already been a failure once"

" we're not going back to the sixties - we never left "

"yep, nostalgia ain't what it used to be"

"I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure"