Update on the welding situation. Managed to convince the accountant to let me get the welder today as next week we are having the floors in our house sanded and it would mean I couldn't play with it after payday.
Bit of a run around this morning picking up bits (stool from charity shop, argon bottle from my buddy Yuha, 15A socket from the hardware store) and by about midday I was set to melt metal:
Struggled early on with results like these:
Bit of a sushi refuel at about 1 and I made a few changes post fish. Turns out the #6 cup I was using was not sitting straight on the torch so I swapped it for the 5, also worked out I had miscalculated the argon flow so dialed that back a bit too. Results were much better:
Lastly replaced the sanding disc in my grinder to get cleaner material, made a big difference as the puddle was much easier to get and maintain resulting in cleaner welds:
Lastly decided to put my new skills to use and built a tig torch holder. The welds are shitty but it works a treat: