www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Down under, an idiot and a 400F  (Read 301755 times)

Offline neevo

• The blog of my custom CB400F build
Re: Down under, an idiot and a 400F
« Reply #2610 on: Jan 11, 2017, 02:02:37 »
Now make em out of metal pipe ;D

Give me a week  :-X

See the condensed version of my full build on my blog!

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #2611 on: Jan 11, 2017, 13:43:28 »
I guess if one side of the pipe is still smooth and un-kinked it should be pretty simple to get bends right?
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
I gave my girlfriend an orgasm the other night, but, she spat it back at me
 Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry
 It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it  (Terry Pratchett)
CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline neevo

« Reply #2612 on: Jan 11, 2017, 17:23:15 »
Hopefully. We might find out today and I was going to try and pop in there on the way home from work.

Offline neevo

Down under, an idiot and a 400F
« Reply #2613 on: Jan 12, 2017, 03:42:55 »
My secondary exhaust templates are in with Carrington Products for bending (the same mob that did my headers). They were as helpful as ever and helped guide me along the way.

I had 2 options for tube:

1. Two inch - wouldn't fit in the collector (they cannot shrink tube either unfortunately) and was too large for the muffler.
2. 44mm - a perfect slip fit for the muffler and ever so slightly smaller than the collector.

Went with option 2 as it's a perfect fit for the muffler (I have questions on that) plus we can squeeze the collector down a little to make a good fit. It's also smaller diameter which should help with back pressure, especially vs the 2".

So far so good! Carrington even didn't bat an eyelid at my templates :)

So the question?

I'm not a fan of the muffler slipping over the midpipe as I don't like the transition on the pipe (although it will be a seamless flow for gasses into the mufflers). I would have much preferred the exhaust to have slipped in to the midpipe on the exhaust and to not see a join.

So I have a couple of options at this point (happy to hear more too).

A. Shut up and deal with it. It's a minor detail. Eg

B. Look to expand the midpipes so that I can slip the mufflers inside the tube

Will wait and see once the pipes are finished, then see what the best course of action is, however looking at it in the images above, I don't think it's as bad looking as I had feared.
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2017, 03:50:55 by neevo »

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #2614 on: Jan 12, 2017, 07:22:52 »
The mid-pipe slipped over the muffler encourages turbulence, not that it'll much matter for performance, and sooty deposits will push through the seam and look a little messy over time. The other way allows it to butt up to the packing inside the muffler and create a seamless flow.

Offline neevo

« Reply #2615 on: Jan 12, 2017, 08:25:57 »
Good to know irk. Thanks.

Another vote for keeping it simple too!

Offline 1fasgsxr

« Reply #2616 on: Jan 12, 2017, 13:27:06 »
You should be able to expand them slightly to make them a tighter fit for the collector.

Offline Tune-A-Fish©

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • BOTM LOSER Proudly Deplorable
« Reply #2617 on: Jan 12, 2017, 14:29:34 »
PVC cement?

Its just how exhaust goes together correctly. I would let it go and leave it alone.
"I didn't come here and I ain't leavin"  Willie Nelson

"love hard, live fast, die fun" Kacey Musgraves

"Like a Wreckin Ball!" Eric Church

Offline neevo

« Reply #2618 on: Jan 12, 2017, 16:53:52 »
You should be able to expand them slightly to make them a tighter fit for the collector.

That's what the tube benders said too, but it looks like the collector can be squashed a bit too, so we'll see if we can do it on the collector alone or if we need to resort to getting the end expanded a bit to get the best fit.
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2017, 17:28:23 by neevo »

Offline neevo

« Reply #2619 on: Jan 12, 2017, 16:54:36 »
Its just how exhaust goes together correctly. I would let it go and leave it alone.

Ok, I'm sold. Slip fit inside the mufflers it is then.
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2017, 17:30:36 by neevo »

Offline crazypj

« Reply #2620 on: Jan 13, 2017, 14:51:55 »
Expanding tube slightly will be better than closing down connector. When 'squashed down' they always leak a little.
You could always weld solid to collector but you will need to remove rear wheel  to get fitted or remove system (not impossible but a PITA sometimes)
Really you should enlarge it enough to fit over the collector and not inside it
Silencer over pipe is correct way to assemble. I can't find the article but as gas speed increases the lip caused by fitting pipe 'outside' will cause a massive restriction (up to 50% with an internal sharp edge)
 Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry
 It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it  (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Tune-A-Fish©

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • BOTM LOSER Proudly Deplorable
« Reply #2621 on: Jan 13, 2017, 15:36:37 »
Expanding tube slightly will be better than closing down connector. When 'squashed down' they always leak a little.
You could always weld solid to collector but you will need to remove rear wheel  to get fitted or remove system (not impossible but a PITA sometimes)
Really you should enlarge it enough to fit over the collector and not inside it
Silencer over pipe is correct way to assemble. I can't find the article but as gas speed increases the lip caused by fitting pipe 'outside' will cause a massive restriction (up to 50% with an internal sharp edge)

Basic rule is exhaust should go together the same direction of the flow... header into collector(s) collector into midpipe and midpipe into mufler.
"I didn't come here and I ain't leavin"  Willie Nelson

"love hard, live fast, die fun" Kacey Musgraves

"Like a Wreckin Ball!" Eric Church

Offline neevo

« Reply #2622 on: Jan 13, 2017, 17:21:13 »
Really you should enlarge it enough to fit over the collector and not inside it.

That's the plan PJ. I have enough clearance to get the secondaries off the headers I think, so don't think I would need to remove the wheel but we will see once I get it all back from welding.

I've also purchased some carbide burrs to ensure all the insides of the pipes and collectors are as smooth as possible prior to welding.

Offline crazypj

« Reply #2623 on: Jan 13, 2017, 20:03:30 »
If they are the 1/8"/3mm shank from China, be careful. They cut really well in a Dremel at 15,000 rpm, at 30,000 things 'disappear' real fast  ;D If your going to do any slots, make sure you don't touch both sides at the same time, things either jamb or go haywire

Offline neevo

« Reply #2624 on: Jan 13, 2017, 20:05:00 »
They are Aus made from a local supplier. But I'll keep the speed down a bit anyway to be safe.

Always wear eye protection anyway these days after having to have metal taken out of my eye once.