Re: Yamaha xs400 (Tracker/dual sport) VIDEO!

Re: XTS400. {Lots of pictures!}

I finaly got my wood stove hooked up in the shop so now its warm enough to work. I made some progress. I stripped down the xt frame, pulled the motor and started fitting the xs motor. I took a few shots to compare the physical size. The 400 is much wider but other that that it is close in size. I weighed them too. The xt is not all there, but it came in at 85lbs. The xs motor was 120 lbs. so i'm looking at a 35lbs. gain. oh well. I will shave weight else where. I also liked how the PO used a wooden dowel to operate the rear brake.....classy! I got the top motor mount finished. I had to get creative to keep the motor up as high as possible. I'm working on the rear mounts then I will make the cradle that will go around the frame like it would have on the XS400. sprocket enlightenment looks like it is going to be simple. I will have more soon.
102_5210.jpg
102_5211.jpg
102_5212.jpg
102_5213.jpg
102_5214.jpg
102_5224.jpg
DSC_0089.jpg
DSC_0090.jpg
DSC_0091.jpg
DSC_0093.jpg
DSC_0094.jpg
DSC_0092.jpg

Re: XTS400.

I just snapped a few pics with the xt tank. It barely clears the engine (perfection or luck??) LOL, but i think it looks pretty cool. My thoughts as of right now are to use the xt tank but make a custom seat. I'm not sure what to do for a tail. I want to keep it slim and clean. Her is a picture of my butt warmer for you, Erskine.
DSC_0096-1.jpg
DSC_0095.jpg
DSC_0098-1.jpg
DSC_0097-1.jpg

I'll be honest, its the evening here, and I just looked at the pretty pictures without reading anything.. :eek:

Looks cool man! I'll come back tomorrow and read it all ;D

I made some progress on the rear engine mounts, I will post some pics this evening. It was a little slow going because I had to machine a sleeve to fit between the swing arm mounts. The xt engine used the swing arm pivot rod as an engine mount.

It needs a side car. It will be lonely without one. All that grunt going to waste.
Just a thought.
;)

That would definitely be unique. I have no knowledge of side car engineering, therefore I don't think I could ever get anyone to ride in it. I guess I could just use it to haul camping gear.

Erskine said:
It needs a side car. It will be lonely without one. All that grunt going to waste.
Just a thought.
;)

Here are the Rear (upper) mounts. the spacer between the swing arm is the one I had to made this morning. Everything is just tacked in place, but the motor stays in the frame without assistance. that's a good sign.........right? I still need to fab up the rear (lower) mounts. I plan on attaching them to the cradle, so I guess that part is next. I need to get some more tubing.
DSC_0104.jpg
DSC_0102.jpg
DSC_0101.jpg
DSC_0103.jpg

I just picked up the tubing for the lower engine cradle and motor mounts. I am also considering making a steel trellis type frame from the rear shock mount to the back. I should make some progress in the next few days.
1325890188.jpg

Put the bender and welder to work this afternoon. I got the cradle "tacked" in and two of the motor mounts finished. I still need to fab the rear lower mounts. Once i get the mounts all done and the sprocket alignment figured out I'm going to pull the engine and finish all the welds.
DSC_0105.jpg
DSC_0106.jpg
DSC_0107.jpg
DSC_0108.jpg
DSC_0109.jpg
DSC_0110.jpg

Re: Yamaha xs400 (Tracker/dual sport)

Sheesh, you're moving along nicely. Must be the stove.
Are you going to fit a bash plate underneath?

It was almost 50F outside today so I didn't need the stove. Yeah I am going to make a nice beefy (stump proof) bash plate underneath. I plan on running the exhaust between the engine and skid plate.

Erskine said:
Sheesh, you're moving along nicely. Must be the stove.
Are you going to fit a bash plate underneath?

That'll be a funky bit of plumbing, so where will you exit them? and collected or seperate?

Yeah I haven't figured all that out yet. :) I would like a dual exit under tail or just to the left and right of the rear fender. I want to keep everything up and out of the way.

Erskine said:
That'll be a funky bit of plumbing, so where will you exit them? and collected or seperate?

I think you may need to bring your headers out to the side.

It could be just the photos but if you look at the clearance between your head and the wheel with the forks fully compressed I think you may run into trouble. I think even a really tight radius bend will project too far forwards.

How about some Metisse style pipes, one down each side?

steve.jpg

I will do more measuring later. it might be awhile till i start the exhaust. Side pipes would be cool too. I just want to do something original. The suspension is compressed quite a bit in the photo from the tie downs I was using. I will definitely check clearances before I weld anything. Thanks for the inspirational photo.

peteGS said:
I think you may need to bring your headers out to the side.

It could be just the photos but if you look at the clearance between your head and the wheel with the forks fully compressed I think you may run into trouble. I think even a really tight radius bend will project too far forwards.

How about some Metisse style pipes, one down each side?

steve.jpg

This is a sweet bike that gave some ideas for this build. I know the exhaust isnt very protected for off road riding but I live the way it looks.
tracker.jpg

MILLENNIUM FALCON said:
I will do more measuring later. it might be awhile till i start the exhaust. Side pipes would be cool too. I just want to do something original. The suspension is compressed quite a bit in the photo from the tie downs I was using. I will definitely check clearances before I weld anything. Thanks for the inspirational photo.

No worries, I'm really hesitant to critique anyone's stuff because I haven't done much of this stuff so don't know the best way to do things or whatever... I came across this same issue though with the scrambler pipes. After getting Tranzac to make them (and they did such an awesome job too) I had to do something about the front guard or it was gonna smack the right hand header where it comes across in front of the frame. Would hate to see you do something awesome only to find something like that...

I finished all the motor mounts...pulled the engine.....then I finished all the welds. I'm no pro, but it will hold things together. I the two mounts that attach to the swing arm bolt pivot up out of the way, and I made the other rear mount into a two piece mount so the engine has room to come out. I was happy with how easy it was to remove. I think I could have fit an XS650 in there, hahah maybe next time. I guess I will now be moving on to the rear part of the frame and the seat. My plan is to assemble the bike and get it running, make sure everything fits and works then tear it down and paint it..
DSC_0064-1.jpg
DSC_0065-1.jpg
DSC_0066.jpg
DSC_0067.jpg
DSC_0068.jpg
DSC_0069.jpg

I spent about two hours tonight working on the bike. I put the engine back in and bolted everything nice and tight. I had to make a few custom engine mounting bolts on the lathe. The stock bolts didn't fit due to my new mounting points. Everything is lining up good...........so far. I also started de-tabing the frame. I didn't go to crazy with the grinder because I'm not sure exactly what direction I'm going. Do I want to go with the more modern dual sport look? Do I want it to look like a tracker? Or do I want it to have the vintage motocross/scrambler bike look? I just cant decide. TO MANY CHOICES!!

Back
Top Bottom