www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Hi From Australia CB350  (Read 89091 times)

Offline ducatiboy

• DTT BOTM WINNER
Hi From Australia CB350
« on: Jan 07, 2012, 08:40:20 »
This is a quick post to introduce myself. I've been following the site for a few months now and have decided I should become a little more involved in the social side of things here.

I've always had a bike of some sort since I was a teen and I'll be turning 50 later this year. For the last 25 years I've only really had rubber belt based Ducatis starting with a 500 Pantah (although I once did own a 900S2 bevel) with my current two bikes being '08 848s -- one highly modified for racing, the other pretty much a stock rebuilt wreck for my daily commuter to work.

A couple of years ago, my brother picked up a CB350 for the grand total of $0.00 from my parent's neighbour's farm where it had been sitting under a tree for approx 10 years. It had apparently been running "perfectly" before that but, although complete, a decade in the elements had turned it into the proverbial basket case.  His intention was to get it running and do a cafe conversion but it continued to sit in my parents garage for another year and half until I suggested to him that maybe I could start the work on it at my place which is where it is now.

Here's a few pictures of it the day I picked it up

My plan is a cafe conversion (Just what the world needs! Another cb350 cafe conversion  ::)) inspired by El Poquito over at Benjies Cafe Racers. Although I've done plenty of work on my Ducatis over the years including engine rebuilds, I am by no means experienced in bike building as such or in any sort of fabrication of custom parts. This will be my first build and pretty much my first time working on a non-Ducati bike. In addition to that, the constraints of work and family mean it will be a long term project!

Thanks for reading and I'll post up a few more pictures of what where I'm up to when I get the chance
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2012, 23:19:02 by ducatiboy »
Just another CB350 cafe (current project) http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=32827.0
In the garage:
Ducati 848 Road bike
Ducati 848 Track bike
Ducati 750 F1 x 2 (next 2 projects)
Honda XL 185 paddock basher (complete)
Honda XL 185 Paddock basher (in pieces)

Offline Staffy

• It's not yours 'til you cut it up.
Re: Hi From Australia
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2012, 09:05:54 »
Welcome bud.  I'm down in SA, where abouts are you located?  Nice find on the Honda too!

smvirili

« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2012, 10:04:28 »
sweet another beefeater down under. welcome to dtt and looking forward to seeing your cb come together mate.
meanwhile while you're here, show us yer ducatis!! 
allthebest

Offline peteGS

• Zuk's Rock!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2012, 16:48:55 »
Welcome from Brissie! Should be a lot of fun right there...
'82 Suzuki GS450E Scrambler - Back on the road after nearly 10 years!

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=28302.0

1949? Ducati Cucciolo T2

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=37749.0

Offline KVoom

« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2012, 17:06:35 »
Welcome that CB will look great when finished the petrol tank looks nice and straight, no major dents.

Offline neevo

• The blog of my custom CB400F build
Hi From Australia
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2012, 17:30:44 »
[Paul Hogan Voice] That's not a basket case, this is a... oh never mind!

Wish my bike was that sweet looking when I got it, good luck on the rebuild. Would be good to have an Aussie resourcing network by city so that we can see who is out there to help us with certain elements. I have skills and tools but lack fabrication equipment.

See the condensed version of my full build on my blog!

Offline Staffy

• It's not yours 'til you cut it up.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2012, 18:13:45 »
[Paul Hogan Voice] That's not a basket case, this is a... oh never mind!

Wish my bike was that sweet looking when I got it, good luck on the rebuild. Would be good to have an Aussie resourcing network by city so that we can see who is out there to help us with certain elements. I have skills and tools but lack fabrication equipment.
Good idea.  I'm sure there's something in the aussie thread.  I'll have a look later.  Bike first, computer later ;)

Offline ducatiboy

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2012, 19:26:16 »
Thanks for the warm welcome everybody. This forum is a fantastic resource for information, inspiration and motivation!

I'm located in the Inner West of Sydney just around the corner from Deus (world's most expensive "custom" bikes). Although I have a garage with lots of tools in it, it is very small and made even smaller by the amount of junk "stored" in it . Coming from a completely non-mechanical background I lack fabrication and welding equipment AND skills! Those jobs will have to be out-sourced. I do have most tools though

So far I have stripped the bike completely to the bare frame and stripped the motor down to the crank. Sadly, because I was so excited to get started on the project, I did this BEFORE testing compression. Mistake number 1. Oh well, I'll learn as I go! The motor has about 7,000 miles on it (assuming the odometer is accurate) and turned over by hand and although the pistons and cylinders looked reasonable, I bought new 0.25 oversize pistons/rings anyway and the cylinders are away for a rebore. The head has also been sent off for recutting of the valve seats and refacing of valves.

Here's a few more pictures:

Just another CB350 cafe (current project) http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=32827.0
In the garage:
Ducati 848 Road bike
Ducati 848 Track bike

Offline ducatiboy

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2012, 19:30:07 »
More photos for the hell of it

Carbs were a bit of a mess

F***ing hell!

All clean now though:

And rebuilt with the help of this kit:

In the garage:
Ducati 848 Road bike
Ducati 848 Track bike

Offline ducatiboy

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2012, 19:43:34 »
During the motor pull down I noticed the engine mounts on the lower cases

A quick visit to ebay and I had another lower case for $65.00 (plus $50 shipping from Florida!)

CL pipes

Despite a CB engine number!

Rusted out muffler together with dead Huntsman spider

Milk crate full of soda blasted engine parts.

New gasket kit and cam chain

New bronze swingarm bushes

Old cam chain tensioner with new polyamide sprocket with pressed in needle roller bearing

In the garage:
Ducati 848 Road bike
Ducati 848 Track bike