www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: 1971 Kawasaki G3SS 90cc  (Read 8031 times)

1971G3SS

Re: 1971 Kawasaki G3SS 90cc
« Reply #30 on: Aug 26, 2013, 22:07:15 »
I'm not sure how his will be but I cut an opening in the carb cover and installed this filter to help improve the airflow. The stock air intake doesn't look to optimal in aiding much air. I do have another carb cover that has been painted and it does not have the opening in it so I can always replace if this doesn't help. This is a rotary valve engine so I'm not all that familiar with its performance. I'm going to play with it and tweak it to see if any extra power can be gotten out of it once its running. I'm not expecting much from it since its only a 90cc single cylinder. This build is not intended to be a speed machine. Just a fun little bike.

1971G3SS

« Reply #31 on: Aug 27, 2013, 22:15:55 »
Going to run the carb through the ultrasonic cleaner

1971G3SS

« Reply #32 on: Aug 29, 2013, 23:19:34 »
I'm getting the last of the wiring hooked up. I've got the engine put back together except for the flywheel. Somehow the threads on the crankshaft are messed up and I can't get the 10mm nut threaded. I've tried using the thread dies but no luck. New piston installed. I'll be doing a compression test tomorrow so hopefully I'll have it running by this weekend. I've also noticed that my front wheel is misaligned with my handlebars and headlight. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this and the threaded problem?

Offline 3DogNate

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • "You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda"
1971 Kawasaki G3SS 90cc
« Reply #33 on: Aug 30, 2013, 22:39:20 »

I'm getting the last of the wiring hooked up. I've got the engine put back together except for the flywheel. Somehow the threads on the crankshaft are messed up and I can't get the 10mm nut threaded. I've tried using the thread dies but no luck. New piston installed. I'll be doing a compression test tomorrow so hopefully I'll have it running by this weekend. I've also noticed that my front wheel is misaligned with my handlebars and headlight. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this and the threaded problem?

Any chance you can chase the dinged up thread with a small 3 corner file? That has worked for me in a few places I could not really get a die on.

Offline Element

« Reply #34 on: Mar 15, 2014, 01:53:33 »
Reviving this old thread... How did the bike turn out? Do you have any pics of the final product? Just read through this and thought it was cool. I was expecting to see someone struggling through some basic updates to the bike and you blew me away with how in-depth you got with the dissassembly.

1971G3SS

« Reply #35 on: Mar 15, 2014, 22:02:51 »
Thanks. Yeah I need to update this with some finished pictures. I'll add some pictures soon. Thanks for the interest. Fun little bike

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Earache my eye...
« Reply #36 on: Mar 16, 2014, 07:23:15 »
Joining in a little late but want to see how this turned out. I just happen to have a pair of these little buggers in the  back corner of the Shop patiently waiting for some attention...Yours is the first one I have seen here.
“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, why don’t you just make sure that you’re just not in fact surrounded by a bunch of assholes, alright?”

JAILBAIT '67 BSA 441 Victor Roadster
STAY CLEAN '67 BSA Spitfire
ROCK-IT '81 CB750C
BOMBER '81 GL1100
OVERKILL '80 GS750
NO CLASS '72 CB450 K5

1971G3SS

« Reply #37 on: Apr 08, 2014, 09:46:16 »
Almost finished with the bike. Got the seat finished and installed

Offline Element

« Reply #38 on: Apr 11, 2014, 00:39:23 »
Looks really nice. Clean. I like the green stitching on the seat. Did you change the electronics at all to upgrade from 6v to 12 v?

Offline farmer58za

« Reply #39 on: Apr 17, 2014, 04:08:42 »
SurferMO
I also have come in on this topic late. Nice bike you have there.
Co-incidentally, I am in the middle of a nut and bolt restoration of a 100cc Kawasaki desert racer, based around the legendary G31M motor - very similar to your G3SS motor.
If you need assistance on anything, including making the motor faster, I have buckets of information for you.
Regards
David

I'm not sure how his will be but I cut an opening in the carb cover and installed this filter to help improve the airflow. The stock air intake doesn't look to optimal in aiding much air. I do have another carb cover that has been painted and it does not have the opening in it so I can always replace if this doesn't help. This is a rotary valve engine so I'm not all that familiar with its performance. I'm going to play with it and tweak it to see if any extra power can be gotten out of it once its running. I'm not expecting much from it since its only a 90cc single cylinder. This build is not intended to be a speed machine. Just a fun little bike.