www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Living Room Build - Notes on taps/dies  (Read 17990 times)

Offline cb400f caferacer

• Dont buy your ride build it
Re: Living Room Build - Notes on taps/dies
« Reply #70 on: Apr 15, 2014, 04:10:49 »
Great work man! i wish my gf would let me build it in the house! keep it up!

Offline Fox

• I've still got those patches...
« Reply #71 on: Apr 16, 2014, 13:25:45 »
Taps in particular are not somewhere to be cheap.  If you can't afford a set, buy the sizes you need as you need them.  Buy American.  Most of what you wrote is spot on, but there are a couple points I don't agree with.

#2 - Not a good idea to use an adjustable wrench since it side loads the tap and WILL break smaller taps.  T-handles are cheap and essential to properly turning the tap.

#5  If you are working with holes that are already tapped, you should be using a tap make specifically for rethreading.  A standard tap will remove material from the threads, causing weaker holes, but a rethreading tap restores the threads without removing material.

I'll add #11, do it right the first time because removing a broken tap is worse than slamming you hand in the car door.

Good points. Always good to have the right tools for the job. And thanks for the tip on taps. Are there any ways to differentiate between the two?

well said
and if you must sand/bead/media blast any parts with threaded holes just plug them with some spare screws/bolts  use some wax to seal the threads when doing so
to sand blast something and just fill the unprotected threaded holes with gritty media , is just silly
same goes for any oil passages seal em up first

Yeah, I was wanting to mention that. Someone also recommended that to me, but of course, I didn't listen. I think I put paper towel in there, but from what I remember (it was about 2 years ago) they blew out. So, to everyone thinking of media blasting, plug them holes! 

Great work man! i wish my gf would let me build it in the house! keep it up!

Haha! Yeah, that was a trip. Still can't believe I did that. I've got a garage now, and it's really nice.
"Don't concentrate on the finger, or you'll miss ALL that heavenly glory."

1975 Honda CL360-Build Thread

Offline fresh_c

« Reply #72 on: Apr 16, 2014, 15:34:49 »
Good points. Always good to have the right tools for the job. And thanks for the tip on taps. Are there any ways to differentiate between the two?

This video does a pretty good job explaining the difference.  As a note, there are very similar kits offered from Snap-On, Craftsman, and MAC, but the actual manufacturer of the kit is Kastar.

Offline Fox

« Reply #73 on: Apr 16, 2014, 19:05:38 »
This video does a pretty good job explaining the difference.  As a note, there are very similar kits offered from Snap-On, Craftsman, and MAC, but the actual manufacturer of the kit is Kastar.

Well, shit. How big of a deal is this really? I've already cut threads with a non rethreading tap. And the set I just got in is the wrong kind. 

Here's a link for a Craftsman rethreading kit for anyone coming later...
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-40-pc-tap-and-die-set-master/p-00952105000P

Offline xb33bsa

« Reply #74 on: Apr 16, 2014, 19:43:26 »
to clean dirty threads i just make my own chaser/cleaner
as stated using a tap for cleaning threads is not a good idear because of the danger of oversizing the threads
what i do is just use a very good or new high grade bolt/screw then file just one deep groove in it at the tip like a tap has
then power wire wheel it to remove any burs and to slightly "dull" it so it really won't cut metal but it will clean out dirty threads handily, use some light oil
i have been using this method for decades works a treat

Offline fresh_c

« Reply #75 on: Apr 16, 2014, 20:27:20 »
Well, shit. How big of a deal is this really? I've already cut threads with a non rethreading tap. And the set I just got in is the wrong kind. 

Here's a link for a Craftsman rethreading kit for anyone coming later...
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-40-pc-tap-and-die-set-master/p-00952105000P

Probably not a big deal.  Nothing to stress over but just something to learn from for future builds.

Offline Fox

« Reply #76 on: Apr 16, 2014, 21:22:33 »
Cool. Thank you both for your help.

I'll try cutting out a bolt and using that. Will post results.