www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: kz750 twin....bratstyle/cafe bastard (strap on sally) phase 1 complete  (Read 63294 times)

Offline sinbad85

Re: here goes: 1983 kz750 twin (strap-on sally) from down under!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2012, 19:25:50 »
i think im definatley going to get a new front guard......and also put a tiny one on the rear...... when riding in the wet....like this it flicks so much shit all over your back! not cool...
my neighbour also wants to do some pinstriping in the tank.....and some latin script......should be sick!
need a new tyre on the front asap.....gotta mount the seat properly! tidy up some electrics/ relocate the key/lock!....
am looking at a new front end because you said it!!!! spongy shit front ends on these kz's!!!! prob the worst ive ever experienced...
peace

Offline tron97

« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2012, 00:17:46 »
Wicked budget build so far, Im enjoying it.

Sydney to Cairns hey? I hitch hiked that last year as well as did it in an old holden wagon I had..Its a beautiful trip.

looking forward to seeing more. Any close shots of the plate mount?
BBBBRAP!

Offline sinbad85

« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2012, 08:38:22 »
hey tron, heres that photo of the mount.......

just a peice of plate.....with some nice pine.......(yep) curved for the plate.....mounted off the lower shock bolt,
the 90degree bracket is actually originally used as a mobile phone display holder in retail stores...
but this side mount wont be staying much longer anyway....

Offline sinbad85

Re: here goes: 1983 kz750 twin (strap-on sally)- new fenders
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2012, 08:50:56 »
got abit crafty yesterday and painted and tidied up the rear hoop/ re-ground and welded seat support......
here is the tacked and slightly ground shot......i welded her up tight......picked up the whole bike by the new bracket with my engine hoist just to check strength....

Offline sinbad85

« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2012, 09:07:16 »
rain rain too much rain..... equals rusty tank........
i decided a clear coat was in order.....+ getting soaked riding around the last week due to the lack of fenders......solution=  down to deus and scored a blank fender and had a great chat with their parts guy taka........ i have to say as soon as i held the fender up to the bike it sat perfectly........it was definatly more than what i wanted to pay, but hey
here it is just mocked up.....
experimenting lengths....

way to long....... still looks half decent though......
i have to say......before i mounted the fender i thought......if somehow i stuff it up, when its crooked it will ruin the whole look of the bike...... but it wasnt too hard at all.... it sits perfectly under the hoop.......i mounted it with rubbers so it will reduce vibration.....blah blah blah pics say it all.......

the third mount i made a little bracket to the bottom of the battery box....... super strong....

Offline sinbad85

« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2012, 09:14:19 »
chop chop and i made 2 fenders from 1.........half price.....

here shows before and after sanding plus clear cote (to match the tank).....front vs rear.

Offline Jradofarms

Re: 1983 kz750 twin (strap-on sally/trick 13) new fenders!!!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2012, 13:26:05 »
Hey man! Im new to the forum, but I am building a 76 kz750 twin and was wondering where you found those straight pipes. Is it a crossover from another bike, or did you just get lucky?? I can't find anything under 300 bucks and I've checked salvage yards, nothing seems to fit like the ones you have.

Offline sinbad85

« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2012, 22:02:09 »
swivel......yeah the plan is get a sportster style tank and "frisco" mount it...... then maybe with double fuel taps out each side....
maybe something like this>>>

but i think coz my bike isnt a hardtail the lines wouldnt flow.........
the other problem i have is.......the bike runs a triple backbone so mounting a sportster tank means now theres a whole lot of exposed frame/tubing... not too mention then ide have to relocate the coils......and the wiring harness.... or the other option would be to cut out the triple backbone in favour if a big thick single tube......which would require an engineers cert...etc...
so at the moment im sticking with the original tank, maybe with a new filler cap... i feel ya about the cylinder head and the carbs though....would look awesome exposed.....

Offline sinbad85

« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2012, 22:18:13 »
at
Hey man! Im new to the forum, but I am building a 76 kz750 twin and was wondering where you found those straight pipes. Is it a crossover from another bike, or did you just get lucky?? I can't find anything under 300 bucks and I've checked salvage yards, nothing seems to fit like the ones you have.

300 bucks u shopuld be able to get and exhaust shop to build a custom exhuast from scratch......u in the states??? im in oz so that would probly cost about 1000 to 2000 for a full custom job.....

BUT.......seriosly these pipes cost me all up about 100 bucks.....

do you have the original headers???

these were my original headers...........i went down to a car exhaust place and just got him to cut me off about 400mm of 1 3/4 mild steel tube......he charged me 25 bucks from memory......then it was just a matter of cutting/removing... off the old crossover pipe and mufflers.....then slipping the new straight pipes over the headers about 2 inches from memory....then welded the pipe to the headers.... then made a l;ittle bracket at the rear to support the length....
then i chucked some baffles in there to add abit of shhhhh!!! (still loud though)

next step was then to wrap the pipes........(i know how some people feel about pipewrap- i dont care) the pipe looks heaps fatter wrapped!!!

the heat wrap i got was a charcoal grey/black ($70) but the colour kept getting lighter and lighter from sun/rain...... to combat this i have given them a light coat with a black high temp exhaust paint.... thus making them black again...

also ill had that i had to remove the center stand for this exhaust....as it wouldnt go all the way back up-----therefore scraping on the ground whilst cornering....dangerous!!! but fun.......now gone.= weight reduction... 2kgs center stand plus probly 1.5kgs with the new exhaust.

so.......jradofarms.......ide suggest having a go.....and building some out of what youve got....it will be much more satisfying (bragging rights) and you'll definatly learn some new skills on the way.....and you'll form more of a bond with your bike...
sure there'll probly be some ups and downs.....some cursing and throwing wrenches..... but i reckon you'll have a great time.

Offline sinbad85

« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2012, 19:19:14 »
honestly, i just like the sportster tank shape........it doesnt mean i wish i had a harley.....and i dont really care what any harley owners would think of me......
however i think if i had one of those 454 tanks alot of people would be like 'wtf tank is that?' and probably it would create alot of interest..... i bought a chrome ct150 tank for an old project.....ill take a pic with that mocked up......looks tough/ridiculous.... mounting would be a bitch though.....
anyway i will leave the tank for now as i have just purchased some k&n pods and filter wraps which ill do soon!
plus i still have to put in the barnett clutch (can't wait)
BUT..... the most exciting thing.....

i just purchased a new front end for it.....
04 r1 usd's
will get a photo up when i receive these goodies........
hopefully the stem on the r1 is long enough for the neck of the kz.......