Slipstream Cycle

www.moto-madness.com

www.caferacerxxx.com

www.oldschoolspeed.com

www.rustrev.com

www.bullitcustomcycles.com

DWMS Racing

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: kz750 twin....bratstyle/cafe bastard (strap on sally) phase 1 complete  (Read 29306 times)

Offline sinbad85

Re: here goes: 1983 kz750 twin (strap-on sally) from down under!!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2012, 09:14:19 »
chop chop and i made 2 fenders from 1.........half price.....

here shows before and after sanding plus clear cote (to match the tank).....front vs rear.

Offline Jradofarms

Re: 1983 kz750 twin (strap-on sally/trick 13) new fenders!!!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2012, 13:26:05 »
Hey man! Im new to the forum, but I am building a 76 kz750 twin and was wondering where you found those straight pipes. Is it a crossover from another bike, or did you just get lucky?? I can't find anything under 300 bucks and I've checked salvage yards, nothing seems to fit like the ones you have.

Offline sinbad85

« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2012, 22:02:09 »
swivel......yeah the plan is get a sportster style tank and "frisco" mount it...... then maybe with double fuel taps out each side....
maybe something like this>>>

but i think coz my bike isnt a hardtail the lines wouldnt flow.........
the other problem i have is.......the bike runs a triple backbone so mounting a sportster tank means now theres a whole lot of exposed frame/tubing... not too mention then ide have to relocate the coils......and the wiring harness.... or the other option would be to cut out the triple backbone in favour if a big thick single tube......which would require an engineers cert...etc...
so at the moment im sticking with the original tank, maybe with a new filler cap... i feel ya about the cylinder head and the carbs though....would look awesome exposed.....

Offline sinbad85

« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2012, 22:18:13 »
at
Hey man! Im new to the forum, but I am building a 76 kz750 twin and was wondering where you found those straight pipes. Is it a crossover from another bike, or did you just get lucky?? I can't find anything under 300 bucks and I've checked salvage yards, nothing seems to fit like the ones you have.

300 bucks u shopuld be able to get and exhaust shop to build a custom exhuast from scratch......u in the states??? im in oz so that would probly cost about 1000 to 2000 for a full custom job.....

BUT.......seriosly these pipes cost me all up about 100 bucks.....

do you have the original headers???

these were my original headers...........i went down to a car exhaust place and just got him to cut me off about 400mm of 1 3/4 mild steel tube......he charged me 25 bucks from memory......then it was just a matter of cutting/removing... off the old crossover pipe and mufflers.....then slipping the new straight pipes over the headers about 2 inches from memory....then welded the pipe to the headers.... then made a l;ittle bracket at the rear to support the length....
then i chucked some baffles in there to add abit of shhhhh!!! (still loud though)

next step was then to wrap the pipes........(i know how some people feel about pipewrap- i dont care) the pipe looks heaps fatter wrapped!!!

the heat wrap i got was a charcoal grey/black ($70) but the colour kept getting lighter and lighter from sun/rain...... to combat this i have given them a light coat with a black high temp exhaust paint.... thus making them black again...

also ill had that i had to remove the center stand for this exhaust....as it wouldnt go all the way back up-----therefore scraping on the ground whilst cornering....dangerous!!! but fun.......now gone.= weight reduction... 2kgs center stand plus probly 1.5kgs with the new exhaust.

so.......jradofarms.......ide suggest having a go.....and building some out of what youve got....it will be much more satisfying (bragging rights) and you'll definatly learn some new skills on the way.....and you'll form more of a bond with your bike...
sure there'll probly be some ups and downs.....some cursing and throwing wrenches..... but i reckon you'll have a great time.

Offline sinbad85

« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2012, 19:19:14 »
honestly, i just like the sportster tank shape........it doesnt mean i wish i had a harley.....and i dont really care what any harley owners would think of me......
however i think if i had one of those 454 tanks alot of people would be like 'wtf tank is that?' and probably it would create alot of interest..... i bought a chrome ct150 tank for an old project.....ill take a pic with that mocked up......looks tough/ridiculous.... mounting would be a bitch though.....
anyway i will leave the tank for now as i have just purchased some k&n pods and filter wraps which ill do soon!
plus i still have to put in the barnett clutch (can't wait)
BUT..... the most exciting thing.....

i just purchased a new front end for it.....
04 r1 usd's
will get a photo up when i receive these goodies........
hopefully the stem on the r1 is long enough for the neck of the kz.......

Offline Jradofarms

« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2012, 12:36:25 »
sweet! well it looks really good. I already have to take my center stand off, because I put 10.5 inch shocks on there and a 16' rear Harley wheel. It looks cool, but I can no longer get it on center stand bc its too low. I still have my stock exhaust, and I will probably do what you did. did you have to bend the tubing at all at where you slipped it over the header? I ask this, because i have to cut both of my headers before the round out and go under the frame bc  the go 2-1 so they go to the right side. Just wondering.

I hope they turn out as good as yours

Offline sinbad85

« Reply #21 on: Mar 03, 2012, 07:43:54 »
for the last 2 weeks ive been riding the bike in the wet, very carefully....and its been pretty hairy...i decided after the horrible weather we've we've had of late....and the more bad weather which is due to follow, i decided it was time too take the bike off the road till i go to thailand in a month... i also replaced my starter motor in my van so now i can go to where the bikes garage is to work on it... the big bonus here is that i can get some decent work done because i dont have to ride it home the same day.
i took some crappy iphone pics today just for progress analysis so here it goes
poor mans bike lift!!!

i have ordered some pods so i thought ide take out the airbox and see what i could do with the wiring.....
here are photos of each side......before

the airbox actually supports the carbs so i made up a bracket from some 4mm ally to stop the stresses of "vibing" carbs, it could damage the diaphragms if the carbs were to 'bounce'..... over a bump or something.
i will take this bracket back off and finish it properly "speed holes/matt black"

trying out some options with the electrics

heard you guys like a gaping hole!?

check out my firestorm.....

and finally as it sits at the end of the day..........just chilling

heres the most exciting thing!!!!!!

my new front end!!!!!
decided ill throw this 04 r1 usd set on......y not! love the look of the usd's
they will require the use of some usd fork extensions..... as the fork difference in length is about 4 inches.... (let alone wheel size)

my biggest debate with myself is what to do whith the wheels??????
 options arent going to be easy and require professional engineering.......i am aware of the can of worms that awaits...yet eager to jump in....
the options are
1. stock wheels 16 and 19 (painted) matched up to 04 r1 disks with custom axle etc....
2. r1 wheels (17's)
3. building some custom spoked wheel set-up (motard style)

so many pros and cons either way..... ill let you ponder them....

Offline sinbad85

Re: "STRAP-ON SALLY" new progress/wheel thinking (1983 kz750 twin)
« Reply #22 on: Mar 04, 2012, 05:50:00 »
i'm going to use the original wheels..... good idea swivel with the single brake....i mean if they can pull up a 300kmh speed machine on a dime. then 1 of them will be plenty on my lazy ass slow-poker.......plus ill tell all the peeps that i switched to single brake for "weight reduction" hahaha
i like the idea of the hub cab... the rims look sweet as. so i want to show them off (love those enkei's)...
 remove and clean them....repaint all the black, then polish the lip and the side cut spoke detail.....mmmmm

the only thing that kinda throws me off is the 16 inch rear (drum) i would love another 1 or 2 inches of diameter on the rear just to even things out....

but the whole 16/19/usd thing surely would be a conversation starter....

swivel..... i feel like a noob. whats the difference between a ground axle and machined axle??
and thanks for the interest and feedback......keep it coming....(im sure you will)

Offline sinbad85

« Reply #23 on: Mar 04, 2012, 07:07:50 »
Posted by: Swivel
on: Today at 04:14:37 Insert Quote
Y'r rear end looks more Bratty than a Bratstyle bike on a Brat Style bean festival day at Brat Style's shop.Leave it alone.

you're a funny bastard..... that naughty little fender will be getting a rub up......

got any photo's or links to these bad ass hub caps you speak of? im very intrigued

as far as tyres go i was thinking about firestones

just kidding

maybe some avon roadriders or venoms...???? i wanted to use a proper radial tyre.....in standard 130/90-16 and 100/90-19...
i would love some dual purpose tyres........but alas i cant seem to find any in these sizes.
anyone have any feedback or ideas..............ehhherm. swivel......
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2012, 07:26:23 by sinbad85 »

Offline jelloelstone

« Reply #25 on: Mar 04, 2012, 14:17:18 »
im really liking the bike man!! keep it up  :)
1981 Suzuki Gs400 "Melba Toast"
1975 Honda Cb125 "The Shot"

Offline sinbad85

« Reply #26 on: Mar 04, 2012, 19:16:17 »
ok swivel no k180's then........
how about this pirelli on the front?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PIRELLI-SCORPION-TRAIL-DUAL-PURPS-FRONT-TYRE-100-90-19-/330578489248?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf8036fa0#ht_875wt_907

ahah those hubs do look cool.... i would obviosly only be doing at the back.....

oh and swivel i think ive gone back to the twin disc front........(i want twins coz ill still run drum rear and it came with twins.....so ill keep twins) even though its overkill.
also rather than make a new axle could i not use the r1 axle.....and get new wheel bearings with a bigger id?? then just use some custom wheel spacer?? speedo drive dont matter coz i dont use a speedo....

thanks jolloelstoner........melba is sick too man......

Offline tron97

« Reply #27 on: Mar 04, 2012, 23:52:15 »
Check out some of the bridgestone trail wing line of tires.

Im going with the TW 42's on my brat tracker sort of build, may be a little aggresive for you but there is a few different models.

The avon distanzia is probably exactly what your looking for but may be a bit expensive.

So far im loving the build though, its coming along great.

Keep the updates coming!

BBBBRAP!

Offline SlowRoad

« Reply #28 on: Mar 05, 2012, 18:45:04 »
I am running a Bridgestone Trailwing 39 on my brat/bobber and I like it so far. Have probably 3000 miles on it at this point and it will handle anything I will do. I am not a really agressive rider, but I don't poke around either...

YMMV
First project  '81 KZ1100-A1   KraZ-Bob

Offline sinbad85

« Reply #29 on: Mar 07, 2012, 08:19:50 »
i have lucked out bigtime..... had nothing but rain lately so im glad the bike is off the road......that old font tyre is getting quite sketchy...should have the new one by next week....
its been good too be back in the van...

here are just some quick snaps of todays progress.....

cut out the slot on the carb brace.....(the tank has a tongue which slides in....rubber mounted)
speed holes n blacked out

then de-tabbed the rear subframe......and tidied up some of the cables.....opting for solder and heatshrink as opposed to the cable connectors.....i left the old seat mounts because i want to use the old seat on long trips......new ground cable too beacause the old one was about to break.