Honda CB350 Starter Button

drewgoheen

Hey Guys,

I have a strange problem that I need solving. Went I bought my CB the guy told me the that starter button on the handle controls didn't work. The starter still worked because he used an old wrench to connect the top of the two relays; which started the engine. I now find myself trying to figure out if i'm missing a brass piece that sits in the top controls that connects the starter button to the engine stop switch, like in the diagram; ex:

starter_wiring1.jpg

I can post pictures of the inside of the starter control too, but I'm just not sure what I am missing to get the starter button to work. Any insight would be helpful.

-Cheers

The starter switch has 4 parts: push button, spring, stop bracket and contact with yellow + red wire going to starter relay. When pressed, the push button touches the contact pad and completes the ground circuit.

Well I have seen 72 and 73 CB's with what sounds like the same problem. The one's I have seen always had a bad solder joint at the contact inside the housing. You can re-solder it I assume.
Personally, my bike had a ton of bad wiring and strange splices, so I rewired it completely, and relocated the ignition switch and starter button to the toolbox with aftermarket parts.
Alternatively, an aftermarket horn button (online for about $20), will do the job. You should be able to plug it into the yellow/red wire and get creative with a round. That's just ugly though.
Here's a pic of my toolbox/control panel.
IMG00850-20111022-0251.jpg

Thats a cool idea moving it down to the old tool box. So... could I take the yellow/red wire (running from the headlight to the handle controls) and remove it from the main harness in the headlight assembly. Then connect another wire into the yellow/red wire on the main harness. And if I made a grounded connecting with that new wire, it should start right?

Yup. Looks like you got it. and like I said, a horn button would do if you are intent on having it bar mounted. I got my button at advance auto for like $9.

Levonn350 said:
Yup. Looks like you got it. and like I said, a horn button would do if you are intent on having it bar mounted. I got my button at advance auto for like $9.

I get now what you said by swapping out the horn button.

Hey guys, finally joined, found this thread and had a couple questions. I have the original wiring diagram, threw some drag bars, new lever, cable, switches, etc. Got the headlight/honn/turn signal switch wired up, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to wire up the start run/kill switch. The diagram above is great, my problem is on accessory the black wire in the headlight is hot, but when I switch it to on, it is no longer hot.

I assume the black should always be hot, other than in the off position. It is driving me nuts. Has anyone rewired the entire bike to a stripped down simple diagram? Lastly I assume the yellow/red is acting as a ground and the starter solenoid is hot all the time, and when you press the button it just completes the circuit? I appreciate any input. Cheers.

notabmw1 said:
Lastly I assume the yellow/red is acting as a ground and the starter solenoid is hot all the time, and when you press the button it just completes the circuit?

Yes, the starter button completes the ground portion of the circuit to the starter solenoid. The power to the solenoid is direct from the battery to ensure maximum amperage.

Back
Top Bottom