Slipstream Cycle

www.moto-madness.com

www.caferacerxxx.com

www.oldschoolspeed.com

www.rustrev.com

www.bullitcustomcycles.com

DWMS Racing

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: Speedfiends Camper Redo  (Read 7022 times)

Offline Speedfiend

Speedfiends Camper Redo
« on: Jan 29, 2012, 18:42:23 »
The wife and I just bought this '60 FAN Travel trailer Co. Luxery Liner.  The name sounds nice, regretably the camper is a little rough, actualy shit hole might be closer. Water damage, broken windows, missing stuff etc. But  it was CHEAP!  And the alloy skin is in great shape. I literally pulled it from the jaws of a scrapper.  Based on what I'm seeing behind the paneling, he might have had the right idea. Still, from checking out what other folks have done from equally humble beginings, I'm somewhat confident I can pull this off.  And by pull it off I mean a complete, skin off, cabin off the frame, new wiring, plumbing, insulation, paneling, redo. I hesitate to say resto, cause we're going to begetting rid of the 'ol propane fridge, heater, stove, and lights replacing them with new electric stuff. And rearranging the floor plan to accomadate the wife and I plus  three kids and a motorcycle. By June, whew!

Inside. Scarey.

Starting the tear out.

Offline Speedfiend

Re: Speedfiends Camper Redo
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2012, 18:59:27 »
Nice weather today. Finished most of the interior tear out. Rotton. Nothin' I didn't expect. These things are amazingly simple.

Pulled out the propane stove, fridge, lights ,heater. I'm thinking I can save space/weight/hassel by replacing them with new eletric stuff. Rewire for 30 amp.

We hope to keep the momentum rolling. I wanna have it down to the frame by next week.

Offline Cafe Redneck

« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2012, 19:49:05 »
It's cool Tim made a place for this build. Looking forward to the updates Speedfiend. I think I may be jealous.

Offline Bobbed_out

« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2012, 20:28:33 »
This is a cool project...I might start a trailer build thread myself!
76 kz400- bobber project
75 cb360-cafe project
90 vfr750-???

Offline JESUS FREEK

« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2012, 21:44:24 »
Subscribed! I can't wait to see where this goes. Making room for wifey,3 kids & a motorcycle? Excellent!

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk
1973 CL350 Baby Blue          done
1972 CB750 Red & Reddy    well.........not yet

Offline Drewski

• "Invictus Maneo" - I remain unvanquished!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2012, 22:49:52 »
Wow! A new build thread category! Who knew! I feel like a proud new papa!  ;D ;D

I feel very close to this build.  ;D
"I don't even follow this thread." Rich Ard

"Shut up." Rich Ard

"Ha!" Rich Ard

"A good one liner came out of this thread. I'm happy." Rich Ard

"He said something about hipsters recently that I could barely hear through my beard, Gringo helmet, and flannel shirt." Rich Ard

"I regret nothing!" Rich Ard

'77 KZ1000/zx10r Superbike, '74 h2b/FZ "Mongrel",  '02 zrx1200r "Mild", '74 h2b Tracy/FBG, '71 h1a/750 Project, '71 F9 350 Bighorn "She's a runner!"

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2012, 00:19:04 »
Hey, I recognize a good idea when I see one, and I can't think of anything better than a portable man-cave/family room to start this section off with :)

But don't expect me to start posting up my kitchen and bathroom reno's :)  But maybe if I get ambitious and do something cool with my garage this spring...
Zed's dead baby... Zed's dead.

Offline Drewski

• "Invictus Maneo" - I remain unvanquished!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2012, 00:47:14 »
But don't expect me to start posting up my kitchen and bathroom reno's :) 

:)  :)  :)
"I don't even follow this thread." Rich Ard

"Shut up." Rich Ard

"Ha!" Rich Ard

"A good one liner came out of this thread. I'm happy." Rich Ard

"He said something about hipsters recently that I could barely hear through my beard, Gringo helmet, and flannel shirt." Rich Ard

"I regret nothing!" Rich Ard

'77 KZ1000/zx10r Superbike, '74 h2b/FZ "Mongrel",  '02 zrx1200r "Mild", '74 h2b Tracy/FBG, '71 h1a/750 Project, '71 F9 350 Bighorn "She's a runner!"

Offline JustinLonghorn

• Site Supporter
  • No Purple Hearts, No Blue Ribbons
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2012, 10:05:30 »
Looks like fun to me, sir.
"Art is never finished, it is only abandoned."

"Motorcycles do not define a person's character." -BigRich

My Dearest Darling -Sold

CB400F

Offline Speedfiend

« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2012, 10:52:53 »
Wow, thanks for the support and interest! And huge thanks to Tim for making some room for this. Now I have even more motivation to do this right. I hope I can do ya'll proud. To anyone who's considering a vintage camper-Go for it! There a lot of great resources out there. If you can build a bike and or out up a shed, you can do this. So far I've found the vintage camper community online to be very friendly and helpful. I joined the Tin Can Tourist on face book. Very active group, online and in the real world. They have a classified section and stuff.
http://www.tincantourists.com/

Offline frogman

• Site Supporter
  • '74 CB360, '71 CB450
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2012, 11:10:21 »
I'll be watching for sure... I can't wait till my pop up is paid off then the thing is gonna get a make over to the tune of a new subframe, axles, and plenty of boarding space for bikes! I hate that I can take the damn thing pretty near anywhere I want but I can't bring all my toys with me.  :(

Rock on Bro!
The reason I talk to myself is that Iím the only one whose answers I accept.

Offline Speedfiend

« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2012, 22:56:06 »
Interior  stripped,  rest of the windows out,  exterior trim and  lights removed. Ready to peel back the lid an start skinning. BUT progess is being hindered by rusty clutch head screws. I guess they used these on alot of trailers for some reason. When they get rusty they really suck, and theres a crap  load of them. I found 2 clutch drive tips a local hardware, but have worn those down to nubs. Lowes and Home Depot have never heard of them. Just ordered a pack from Mcmaster-Carr. Hope they come in by the weekend.

I should have started the lid today, but my head hurt from last night. Anthrax was awesome but Testament fucking killed it.

Offline Bert Jan

• Holy Modification Batman
    • Outsiders Netherlands
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2012, 17:41:40 »
haha what the fuck is this? haha ohw shit i'm having pain in my stomach haha - No offense, it's a cool tin and so.. but haha wtf! I think we've crossed a line here. The one where 2 wheels end and.... well... all the other stuff begins. Just throw this thread in the "our cages" topic or somehing. This doesn't make any sense.

I kinda feel like all the people posting "how the fuck did i get here" at zit-popping vids on YT...

Dear admin,
Would you make a special section at the DTT forum where i can post pics of my pubic hair?
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2012, 17:44:04 by Bert Jan »
https://www.facebook.com/OutsidersMotorcycles/

Netherlands represent!

Luctor et Emgo - I struggle and give up

'Anything we did for Uncle Scam or Nasa was soldered, period. No crimps allowed.' -Swagger

'Real men lick their hands and bridge the solenoid with their fingers.' -Sonreir.

I do stuff all the time that wasn't meant to be done  ;D Fun, isn't it  ;) - CrazyPJ

You want to lubricate the nipples- Tim

Offline haplo_84

« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2012, 17:46:51 »
I think most of us here have multiple interest and hobbies and its nice to have a forum where all hobbies are accepted and enjoyed. Personally if you don't like it don't watch it. There is no need for a shitty attitude like that around here.
A motorcycle functions entirely in accordance with the laws of reason, and a study of the art of motorcycle maintenance is really a miniature study of the art of rationality itself.  ~Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Offline Cafe Redneck

« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2012, 18:13:58 »
Bert, If you don't like the show, click on another topic. It would have been easier then typing all that shit!!