Slipstream Cycle

www.moto-madness.com

www.caferacerxxx.com

www.oldschoolspeed.com

www.rustrev.com

www.bullitcustomcycles.com

DWMS Racing

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Speedfiends Camper Redo  (Read 7372 times)

Offline Speedfiend

Re: Speedfiends Camper Redo
« Reply #30 on: Feb 11, 2012, 18:00:54 »
Thanks guys! No progress this weekend, too damn cold. 

The pistol is a US Revolver Co. .32 cal solid frame. Made by Iver Johnsons Arms and Cycle works between 1911-1935. They were 2nd line guns made to use up old, left over black powder parts, sold by mail order and never listed in the IJ catologue. By most accounts, a decent shooter, but not much collecter value. about $50-100 depending on condition.
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2012, 18:28:59 by Speedfiend »

Offline VonYinzer

• Site Supporter
  • Oh, I got a helmet...
« Reply #31 on: Feb 11, 2012, 20:45:30 »
Certainly is a cool pistol none the less. Good purse gun for the missus.
I took the shell off of my racing snail thinking it would make him faster.

It just made him more sluggish.

Offline Speedfiend

« Reply #32 on: Feb 11, 2012, 21:10:29 »
Yeah, thats what I thought. Gonna have my uncle clean it up and blue it for me. When i fire it I'll let you guys know.

Offline VonYinzer

• Site Supporter
  • Oh, I got a helmet...
« Reply #33 on: Feb 11, 2012, 21:14:45 »
Cool man. I have a little pistol my buddy gave me. It fires .22 shorts (6 shot revolver). Nobody I can find has ever seen one like it before. It has "Capt. Jack 1873" stamped into the body. Anyhow, little vintage pistols are neat... Haha
I took the shell off of my racing snail thinking it would make him faster.

It just made him more sluggish.

Offline ben2go

• Two Wheel Projectile
« Reply #34 on: Feb 12, 2012, 13:08:41 »
Thanks guys! No progress this weekend, too damn cold. 

The pistol is a US Revolver Co. .32 cal solid frame. Made by Iver Johnsons Arms and Cycle works between 1911-1935. They were 2nd line guns made to use up old, left over black powder parts, sold by mail order and never listed in the IJ catologue. By most accounts, a decent shooter, but not much collecter value. about $50-100 depending on condition.

I was thinking those were the pistols used by service men and police between WWI and WWII.

Offline Speedfiend

« Reply #35 on: Feb 18, 2012, 19:18:32 »
Yeah,  I was hoping it'd be something really cool and valueble,  but hey its still kinda neat.

Made a little progress. I replaced all the rotten framing. I'm almost ready to pull the walls down.

Then onto the floor. Once the floor is up, it'll be the bare frame and axel. I was shopping around for supplies to refurbish the axel, brake pads, wheel cylinders and such, and found that it will be more cost/time effective to just buy a new axel. This brings me to someting thats been bothering me-how high my camper sits. Its like 18" off the ground. It looks like a mobile home. Frickin killing me. So I'll just use a 4" drop axel. I'll have to raise the wheel wells, no biggie. Something else I don't love, it doesn't have cut-outs for the wheel wells. I'm thinking of doing a scolloped cut-out.

Offline Cafe Redneck

« Reply #36 on: Feb 19, 2012, 09:49:12 »
I agree, opening wheel area would look better.

Offline DesmoBro

• Busted Nut
« Reply #37 on: Feb 20, 2012, 00:26:56 »
cool build can't wait to see it with bamboo hardwood and Marble counter tops :D
"I desire the things that will destroy me in the end"

Offline devon

« Reply #38 on: Feb 20, 2012, 01:45:21 »
Love this. Been thinking abotu doing something like it for a looong time, good luck! I'll be tuned in 8)

Online Tim

• Administrator
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #39 on: Feb 20, 2012, 02:05:33 »
I was gonna say decommission the gun and use it as a door handle for the camper.  Or get a few more and make wind chimes out of them :)

Looks like Kiley's shop did a few weeks back.
Zed's dead baby... Zed's dead.

Offline Maritime

• Site Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Feb 20, 2012, 09:33:59 »
Ha, it is a mobile bike shop living space, very cool. I would love to do something like this too. I just have to worry about keeping the weight low enough to haul with my POS X-Trail.  What do you think this thing will weigh when completed? 

Cheers,

Maritime
My Build: My full figured girl: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=13950.msg135199#msg135199
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Speedfiend

« Reply #41 on: Feb 20, 2012, 10:50:30 »
I'm  trying to put it on a diet. I think it might have weighed about 1700 lbs. Dragging it home, it felt really heavy, but that was likely from  year of neglect to the axle. Getting rid of all the old gas appliances, fridge heater, water heater,oven/stove, will lose 400lbs. That damn fridge weighed on ton. A fridge with a motor and spark plug! And I've got some other ideas.

Offline Maritime

• Site Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Feb 20, 2012, 11:03:49 »
Cool.  I think my tow rating is 4000lbs so the trailer plus a couple motor bikes could eat that up quick. 
My Build: My full figured girl: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=13950.msg135199#msg135199
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline troybilt

• Site Supporter
« Reply #43 on: Feb 24, 2012, 01:09:39 »
This is such an undertaking. Very inspiring to say the least. I absolutely love that you are doing this. I'll def be following along.
"One should not be too distracted by definitions. Ideas transcend definitions." — Neil deGrasse Tyson

"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." — Ray Wylie Hubbard

“There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.”
— Hindu Proverb

Offline Ringo

• Site Supporter
« Reply #44 on: Feb 24, 2012, 13:45:53 »
I didn't even know about this until Troy pointed it out.  Very very cool.  I've toyed with this idea a few times, but never given it serious thought.  Definitely looking forward to watching your progress!
Chris