www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: 1988 Ducati 900 Super Sport Cafe Racer  (Read 77884 times)

Offline Dale

• [B]Moto Guzzi V50II Detailed Cafe Build Diary [/B]
1988 Ducati 900 Super Sport Cafe Racer
« on: Feb 02, 2012, 18:18:48 »
Hi guys

Been very busy over the last few months doing some restorations and builds etc, and just started a new Cafe Racer build, (even though my V50 project is still not complete :-/  ) but I figured, hey what the heck, I'll post it up. The feedback and critique here on DoTheTon is always invaluable, and its great to hear a whole bunch of opinions from a diverse group of people.

So let me get started: I picked this bike up for a song. Fully papered, running well, except for what initially seemed like a sprocket seal issue, and the gears are a little difficult to change - but once a gear is engaged - its all good - so maybe just some minor clutch issue (I hope). Its an open dry clutch and the motorcycle has been standing for over a year.

Other than that - a beafy, torquey 906cc L-Twin. Its got a set of nasty aftermarket cans on it, which are also getting thrown out.

Now she ain't pretty I can tell you that - just have a look at that 80's seat and fairing covering what was initially a beautiful piece of machinery. But, trends and fashion changes, and I bet this "look" will be the next big thing in a decade or so. But I'm not waiting for that - I want a stripped down, lowered and current looking version of this 24 year old Italian brute.

Its not what I would call quick, but its powerful and the torque as usual is great. And when you need the power, its there - there's definitely enough.

So here's my first take on what I'm thinking of doing...

Yesterday afternoon when I got it.

This morning removed the fairing and seat to see what we've got.

Ok, so what I've done here in Photoshop:

1. Lowered the forks by about 50mm.
2. Ducati Monster (or similar) headlight.
3. Moved clocks
4. New seat (I used an image from a seat the Union guys made for their 900ss. Love their stuff.
5. New cans
6. Cut some subframe off (50mm off rear)
7. Frame and wheels black.

And I think that's about all I'm going to do.

I really want to build this bike on a fixed budget. I'm thinking $2500.00 max (including purchase).
I want to do it in a fixed time period. I'm not going to get so precious over this machine - I'm just going to get it done.

:-)
Dale
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2012, 17:07:04 by Dale »

Offline JustinLonghorn

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • No Purple Hearts, No Blue Ribbons
Re: 1988 Ducati 900 Super Sport Cafe Racer
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2012, 18:33:08 »
Yes sir, I can definitely dig it.
I'm going to eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

Into The Sunset, CB750 build

TT500 the Animal

Offline Dale

• [B]Moto Guzzi V50II Detailed Cafe Build Diary [/B]
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2012, 18:35:43 »
Thanks for digging JustinLonghorn.

Offline session101

« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2012, 18:50:09 »
friggin subscribed... dude if you pull this off, you pretty much decided for me my next project

Offline Chivatty

« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2012, 19:17:28 »
That will be awesome! Good luck!

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2012, 19:48:31 »
I like the idea.

For me, there are way too many frame tubes at the rear end that need to be covered or simplified.  If I were going to hack the frame about, I think I'd want to go much further with the transformation.  that frame is designed for two up with bags etc, so for a single seat, it could use a really light subframe.

It's going to be hard to come up with a great seat hump that works with that humpy tank without it looking too lumpy.

If the low bars work for you, good, or else try a set of superbike bars and try a more street fighter look - while avoiding it looking like another Monster.

Or how about a "Old Blue" tribute bike with high pipes.  That could look awesome.

Offline aHbe Racer

• It is a lifestyle, a movement, it is the journey..
    • ahberacer.com
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2012, 19:54:36 »
For me, there are way too many frame tubes at the rear end that need to be covered or simplified.  If I were going to hack the frame about, I think I'd want to go much further with the transformation.  that frame is designed for two up with bags etc, so for a single seat, it could use a really light subframe.

Ya, I'm with Teazer, I think too many cross bars back there, but other than that, I think it will look killer! Keep us posted on progress!
Passion. Style. Community. Emerging from vintage roots ushering in the coming culture. Clothing the urban village with moto-inspired apparel.

Offline Swagger

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Putting boot to ass since 1967!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2012, 19:57:12 »
I've often thought of almost this exact project! Good on ya....

Were it mine, I'd swap out for a 750ss cafe seat and 1/2 fairing, some peashooter style reverse cone megas and then I'd beat up a latte drinker for the wheels from his sport classic....ok, I'd probably buy them off ebay/cl etc....but you get the point haha.

I hope you DO build this bike though.
.....there's no way that little rice cooker is going 100m/h when the work need to get up to those speeds includes a big fuck off fairing shaped like a giant cock. ~Staffy

Weiner tetanus is nothing to scoff at. ~JustinLonghorn

Offline Rpino7

• A.T.K.H.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2012, 20:06:14 »
Looks sick. needs more red accent pieces.

Offline teddpage

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2012, 22:52:32 »
That looks like it could be amazing!!!  Dooooo ittttttt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
1971 Honda CB450 Build -->> http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=13854.0

"its a motor dude degrease the fucker and crack on" - axeugene27