www.abelbrown.com

Slipstream Cycle

www.moto-madness.com

www.caferacerxxx.com

www.oldschoolspeed.com

www.rustrev.com

www.bullitcustomcycles.com

DWMS Racing

Author Topic: Deacon's KZ650 Cafe Seat Build  (Read 52095 times)

Offline HerrDeacon

• Site Supporter
    • MB5 Web
Deacon's KZ650 Cafe Seat Build
« on: Mar 10, 2008, 21:24:46 »
I wasn't going to start a thread on this yet, as I was going to wait until it was totally finished. However, I got dragged away on business so I may as well do something bike related while I'm away from my baby :)

First off here is a pic of the bike as it was when I bought it. Check out the "custom" seat! No matter how mine turns out it
can't be that bad...can it? No where to go but up :)

Underneath the seat cushion was a really rusty seat pan. The top was fine, but the edges were totally gone. I wasn't
planning on using it anyway, so no loss. After that was tossed aside, I just had to grind off a few things: seat hinges, seat lock and helmet hook had to go.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 14:57:27 by locO leoN »

Offline HerrDeacon

• Site Supporter
    • MB5 Web
Re: Deacon's KZ650 Cafe Seat Build
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2008, 21:27:32 »
To get the shape I wanted I used a combination of green florist foam bricks and Great Stuff expanding foam. If I had to do it again I wouldn't have used the expanding foam, as I didn't like shaping it at all. In contrast, the florist foam is a dream to shape, it cuts and sands easy.

After cutting and shaping I ended up with something that I was happy with:

Offline HerrDeacon

• Site Supporter
    • MB5 Web
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2008, 21:31:44 »
Next step is getting ready to fibreglass. Before applying the fibreglass I needed to seal up the foam. I used a combination of foil and painter's tape. Since the strength of fibreglass is in the curves, I built in some curves to the seat section. Problem is that I forgot about the battery box that would be underneath the seat. So I later had to change this section to accommodate. You'll see this in later pics.

Offline HerrDeacon

• Site Supporter
    • MB5 Web
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2008, 21:39:09 »
Time to get messy...lay some fibreglass. Not much to say just make sure you have everything ready before you start: fibreglass mat all pre-cut and layed out, anything you don't want resin on covered up, gloves on, and most importantly put your mask on, you don't want to be breathing these fumes. I know I can't afford to lose anymore brain cells  ;D You can see in the last pic the modification I needed to make to the seat section for the battery box.

Offline HerrDeacon

• Site Supporter
    • MB5 Web
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2008, 21:51:48 »
Now comes the dusty stage...body filler. I first gave the seat a nice coat of body filler just to fill in the unevenness of the fibreglass. Then once I had this smoothed out somewhat, I mixed up a milkshake (combination of body filler, fibreglass resin, mekp and body filler hardener) to coat the seat with. This mixture is a lot more fluid then ordinary body filler and so creates a nice smoother finish. Regardless, still needs to be sanded...and sanded...and sanded and then sanded again.  ;D Finally I'm happy with the look and spray a coat of primer.

Milkshake pic:

After sanding:

Couple of pics post primer and on bike:

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2008, 21:56:17 »
Wow - next to shaping metal, being able to do that is something I'd love to be able to do.  Nice work.
Zed's dead baby... Zed's dead.

Offline HerrDeacon

• Site Supporter
    • MB5 Web
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2008, 22:00:42 »
Thanks Tintin, so far this has been the best part of my project so far, I've had a great time. The smell of fibreglass throughout the house is not the best but that's all you can do.  :D

Offline HerrDeacon

• Site Supporter
    • MB5 Web
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2008, 22:02:28 »
As I said earlier I had to go on a business trip this week, so this past weekend I did the last of the fibreglass work needed for the seat so that its all ready for me to finish when I get back.

I wanted/needed to have somewhere on the bike to store some things: tool kit, camera, phone, lunch when going to work, etc., so I decided to build a glovebox into the seat. This area wouldn't be secure, I will just need to lift the seat cushion to gain access. I just marked the underneath of the cowl to clear the frame and the cross brace, and also clear the hole I have made for the light (more on the light later). I then filled in this marked off area with green foam and glassed over it. This is the way I left it. I'll cut a hole in the seat part when I get home and remove the foam. I'll post more pics when I complete this part.

Florist Foam:

Fibreglass:

Offline HerrDeacon

• Site Supporter
    • MB5 Web
« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2008, 22:18:10 »
The last bit of glass work necessary is for the seat pan needed for the cushion.

I really have to thank Scarcat for his post on making a seat pan as I would have never had thought to use wood to enable you to staple the fabric to the pan. Thanks for the great post Scarcat. We need a thumbs up emoticon  Oh, just found it, here you go Scarcat ;D

Here is a pic of the wood laid out the way I wanted.

A couple of pics after some fibreglass has been laid under and above the wood.

I then did a rough trim to see how it looked on the bike. I'm mostly pleased with the pan except for the vertical part (i.e. seat back). I never got the fibreglass mat to sit down very good over the wood so its a bit high. I'll probably have to sand this down a bit and maybe lay a bit more glass. I'll finish trimming this and then start covering it when I get home next week. Still need to determine what I'm going to use to cover it, have to go out looking.

« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2008, 10:53:17 by HerrDeacon »

Offline Ease

• Site Supporter
  • 83 XJ650RK, 77 TS-250
« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2008, 22:46:16 »
Lookin great!

You plan on doing the Upholstry yourself too?
... I lost the name / number of the guy who did my seat ... But as far as I know there are a few decent guys around doin it.
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2008, 22:55:05 by Ease »

Offline HerrDeacon

• Site Supporter
    • MB5 Web
« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2008, 22:56:26 »
Thanks Evan. Yeah, I always like to try it myself first, so I'm going to give the upholstery a go. I'm going to use the old seat cover that was on the seat when I bought it to see how I do. If it turns out alright I'll then do it with some better material. If not, I'll probably be asking you who's around town that can help me out. The only guy I know of has left for Alberta.

Offline locO leoN

• Administrator
  • Is that the best you got? OK.. now my TURN...
    • DoTheTon
« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2008, 23:36:23 »
Hey Man!!.. That is amazing...Ihave to say, you guys make it look so easy that Im almost.. ( I said almost), tempted to give it a try!!..

YOu should make a mold form and just pump those out!!..
I think Im gonna sticky this one if its OK with you

Offline HerrDeacon

• Site Supporter
    • MB5 Web
« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2008, 07:41:40 »
Thanks Noel. It's not really that hard but I must say I've learned a lot through the process. This is the first big object I've done in fibreglass and if I had to do it again I would have done some things different, but this is just part of the learning process. Next winter I'll be doing a two up seat so I'll try to apply what I learned to that one.

After seeing oldog's post on making molds I'd love to try that one day.

Feel free to sticky it.

Offline BATESY

• Ton-up Terror PNW bitches!!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 13, 2008, 22:49:11 »
you ever heard of sheet metal!?!

BATESY

Offline rawfish

« Reply #14 on: Mar 14, 2008, 00:25:59 »
To get the shape I wanted I used a combination of green florist foam bricks and Great Stuff expanding foam. If I had to do it again I wouldn't have used the expanding foam, as I didn't like shaping it at all. In contrast, the florist foam is a dream to shape, it cuts and sands easy.

Holy shit, I thought you were building an igloo. 8)