www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Deacon's KZ650 Cafe Seat Build  (Read 67219 times)

Offline HerrDeacon

• DTT SUPPORTER
Deacon's KZ650 Cafe Seat Build
« on: Mar 10, 2008, 21:24:46 »
I wasn't going to start a thread on this yet, as I was going to wait until it was totally finished. However, I got dragged away on business so I may as well do something bike related while I'm away from my baby :)

First off here is a pic of the bike as it was when I bought it. Check out the "custom" seat! No matter how mine turns out it
can't be that bad...can it? No where to go but up :)

Underneath the seat cushion was a really rusty seat pan. The top was fine, but the edges were totally gone. I wasn't
planning on using it anyway, so no loss. After that was tossed aside, I just had to grind off a few things: seat hinges, seat lock and helmet hook had to go.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 14:57:27 by locO leoN »
Perry

1972 Honda CB350 K4 / 1978 Honda XL250S /1982 Honda MB5 / 2014 Honda CB500X

Offline HerrDeacon

• DTT SUPPORTER
Re: Deacon's KZ650 Cafe Seat Build
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2008, 21:27:32 »
To get the shape I wanted I used a combination of green florist foam bricks and Great Stuff expanding foam. If I had to do it again I wouldn't have used the expanding foam, as I didn't like shaping it at all. In contrast, the florist foam is a dream to shape, it cuts and sands easy.

After cutting and shaping I ended up with something that I was happy with:

Perry

Offline HerrDeacon

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2008, 21:31:44 »
Next step is getting ready to fibreglass. Before applying the fibreglass I needed to seal up the foam. I used a combination of foil and painter's tape. Since the strength of fibreglass is in the curves, I built in some curves to the seat section. Problem is that I forgot about the battery box that would be underneath the seat. So I later had to change this section to accommodate. You'll see this in later pics.

Perry

Offline HerrDeacon

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2008, 21:39:09 »
Time to get messy...lay some fibreglass. Not much to say just make sure you have everything ready before you start: fibreglass mat all pre-cut and layed out, anything you don't want resin on covered up, gloves on, and most importantly put your mask on, you don't want to be breathing these fumes. I know I can't afford to lose anymore brain cells  ;D You can see in the last pic the modification I needed to make to the seat section for the battery box.

Perry

Offline HerrDeacon

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2008, 21:51:48 »
Now comes the dusty stage...body filler. I first gave the seat a nice coat of body filler just to fill in the unevenness of the fibreglass. Then once I had this smoothed out somewhat, I mixed up a milkshake (combination of body filler, fibreglass resin, mekp and body filler hardener) to coat the seat with. This mixture is a lot more fluid then ordinary body filler and so creates a nice smoother finish. Regardless, still needs to be sanded...and sanded...and sanded and then sanded again.  ;D Finally I'm happy with the look and spray a coat of primer.

Milkshake pic:

After sanding:

Couple of pics post primer and on bike:

Perry

Offline Tim

• Administrator
  • DTT SUPPORTER
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2008, 21:56:17 »
Wow - next to shaping metal, being able to do that is something I'd love to be able to do.  Nice work.
"Quality . . . you know what it is, yet you don't know what it is. But that's self-contradictory. But some things are better than others, that is, they have more quality. But when you try to say what the quality is, apart from the things that have it, it all goes poof! There's nothing to talk about. But if you can't say what Quality is, how do you know what it is, or how do you know that it even exists? If no one knows what it is, then for all practical purposes it doesn't exist at all. But for all practical purposes it really does exist."

Offline HerrDeacon

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2008, 22:00:42 »
Thanks Tintin, so far this has been the best part of my project so far, I've had a great time. The smell of fibreglass throughout the house is not the best but that's all you can do.  :D
Perry

Offline HerrDeacon

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2008, 22:02:28 »
As I said earlier I had to go on a business trip this week, so this past weekend I did the last of the fibreglass work needed for the seat so that its all ready for me to finish when I get back.

I wanted/needed to have somewhere on the bike to store some things: tool kit, camera, phone, lunch when going to work, etc., so I decided to build a glovebox into the seat. This area wouldn't be secure, I will just need to lift the seat cushion to gain access. I just marked the underneath of the cowl to clear the frame and the cross brace, and also clear the hole I have made for the light (more on the light later). I then filled in this marked off area with green foam and glassed over it. This is the way I left it. I'll cut a hole in the seat part when I get home and remove the foam. I'll post more pics when I complete this part.

Florist Foam:

Fibreglass:

Perry

Offline HerrDeacon

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2008, 22:18:10 »
The last bit of glass work necessary is for the seat pan needed for the cushion.

I really have to thank Scarcat for his post on making a seat pan as I would have never had thought to use wood to enable you to staple the fabric to the pan. Thanks for the great post Scarcat. We need a thumbs up emoticon  Oh, just found it, here you go Scarcat ;D

Here is a pic of the wood laid out the way I wanted.

A couple of pics after some fibreglass has been laid under and above the wood.

I then did a rough trim to see how it looked on the bike. I'm mostly pleased with the pan except for the vertical part (i.e. seat back). I never got the fibreglass mat to sit down very good over the wood so its a bit high. I'll probably have to sand this down a bit and maybe lay a bit more glass. I'll finish trimming this and then start covering it when I get home next week. Still need to determine what I'm going to use to cover it, have to go out looking.

« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2008, 10:53:17 by HerrDeacon »
Perry

Offline Ease

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 83 XJ650RK, 77 TS-250
« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2008, 22:46:16 »
Lookin great!

You plan on doing the Upholstry yourself too?
... I lost the name / number of the guy who did my seat ... But as far as I know there are a few decent guys around doin it.
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2008, 22:55:05 by Ease »