www.townmoto.com

www.oldschoolspeed.com

www.moto-madness.com

www.rustrev.com

www.monstercraftsman.com

www.bullitcustomcycles.com

DWMS Racing

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: Summer sleeping quarters  (Read 8112 times)

Offline troybilt

• Site Supporter
Re: Summer sleeping quarters
« Reply #30 on: Mar 19, 2012, 22:15:41 »
This is am awesome project, can't wait to see it all done!
Thanks man, you and me both. The finished product won't come for a while though. Once we get this to the point where we can stop we will move onto other pressing projects. Then I'll work on this one when I have time and money. For now though I really want to get the front wall with the windows done. My wife still can't see it and I'm hoping that'll help ;D
"One should not be too distracted by definitions. Ideas transcend definitions." — Neil deGrasse Tyson

"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." — Ray Wylie Hubbard

“There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.”
— Hindu Proverb

Offline Big Rich

• Site Supporter
  • Heaven is so far away.
« Reply #31 on: Mar 19, 2012, 22:17:27 »
Ha! Mike, I missed your post somehow.

Hold on, let me ask Meg about cutting the gra.............she said hell no.  ;D

Offline troybilt

• Site Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Mar 19, 2012, 22:45:02 »
Dad and I drove to Pittsburgh yesterday to pick up the monster window. The pics didn't do justice the thing is massive! Got to see Rich and his glowing wife Meg. Even got to see Rich's bike. He did an awesome job on it and should be proud.

So anyhow, after a full non stop day today the building is standing above her new headers. It's all blocked up and the trailer has been removed from under. Due to the trailer's height, the center header had to be built after the trailer was removed. A floor joist had to be replace (prevous builders ran out of material and used a 2x4 :o ) so it was much easier to replace while blocked up. Tomorrow hopefully we can get the header built then lower the building into place. Might even start removing metal from the front wall. Can't wait to see that window in there!
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2012, 01:17:29 by troybilt »
"One should not be too distracted by definitions. Ideas transcend definitions." — Neil deGrasse Tyson

"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." — Ray Wylie Hubbard

“There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.”
— Hindu Proverb

Offline troybilt

• Site Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Mar 19, 2012, 22:45:39 »
Ha! Mike, I missed your post somehow.

Hold on, let me ask Meg about cutting the gra.............she said hell no.  ;D
hahahaha

— Hindu Proverb

Offline troybilt

• Site Supporter
« Reply #34 on: Mar 19, 2012, 22:54:10 »
Monster Window from Rich and Meg. Can't thank you two enough! My wife, my dad and myself unloaded this monster late last night.

Lots of jacking and blocking so rollers could be placed between the building and the trailer

Building sitting on Rollers (pieces of cut off pipe) and landscaping timbers.

placed a telephone pole on the headers for the end of the building to roll on once it came off the truck far enough.

« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2012, 01:21:08 by troybilt »

— Hindu Proverb

Offline troybilt

• Site Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Mar 19, 2012, 23:12:53 »
We kept jacking and blocking the trailer until it sat about level with the headers on the ground. If not, the building rolling crooked could have rolled off to one side and upset. Anyhow, hooked a chain to the headers on each side. Was a little nervous to pull from here but the building moved very easy on the rollers

Rolling the building off nice an level

this series of pics don't show how much time it took to get to this point. It took a tremendous amount of time to get all the rollers properly placed. Then pulling the building off was relatively easy however was pretty slow going. For instance there was very little room for the tractor to pull from so we could only pull a couple of feet before having to unhook and start again. That was ok though because it gave us time to keep an eye on everything. Mistakes could have been real bad.

« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2012, 01:25:22 by troybilt »

— Hindu Proverb

Offline troybilt

• Site Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Mar 19, 2012, 23:17:47 »
Once the building was in position and blocked up we pulled the trailer out

— Hindu Proverb

Offline valvesprung

« Reply #37 on: Mar 20, 2012, 01:31:03 »
Man that's gonna be cool
'79 KZ650SR
'81 GPz750 (KZ750R)
'93 GS500 (Adv conversion)

Offline Kanticoy

• Site Supporter
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #38 on: Mar 20, 2012, 01:49:52 »
That last pic says it all man!  Don't worry, Suz will be sleeping in there in no time!  Great work brother, and give your pops a big ol' bear hug for me.
I get not knowing, but I can't for the life of me understand not trying. It's only metal it can be fixed. Man up and risk a mistake in exchange for a lesson.
'

Offline Big Rich

• Site Supporter
  • Heaven is so far away.
« Reply #39 on: Mar 20, 2012, 01:58:35 »
Heck yeah Troy! It's starting to show it's potential now.......I'm glad you guys like that window (and it arrived to your place in one piece). What did the Mrs. say about it when she saw it? It was good to see you guys again - throw another hug in there for your dad from us.

On a side note: yes, those guys showed up after you left. So the CR60 is sold. And I'll talk to my father in law about that other stuff.

Offline JustinLonghorn

• Site Supporter
  • No Purple Hearts, No Blue Ribbons
« Reply #40 on: Mar 20, 2012, 09:29:41 »
Troy, you are an impressive man. The can do, make it happen, use what you've got approach to things is absolutely beautiful.

It is something that is disappearing from this country. You should take some of these build threads and pictures and hold seminars for today's youth. Go high school to high school showing kids what can be done with their bare hands. Get kids off their duffs and outside working/thinking/doing. Practical thinking and practical application. Yep.
"Art is never finished, it is only abandoned."

"Motorcycles do not define a person's character." -BigRich

My Dearest Darling -Sold

CB400F

Offline Maritime

• Site Supporter
« Reply #41 on: Mar 20, 2012, 09:56:04 »
+10000000 to what Justin said.  To many kids just sit on their buts in front of something electronic and don't know how or why things get done!  They need to learn and balance the games/phones/computers with hands on hard work.
My Build: My full figured girl: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=13950.msg135199#msg135199
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline ako

« Reply #42 on: Mar 20, 2012, 10:13:20 »
Hahaha, You ask a kid today to help you put a stump in and he will start looking for an i-pod app for that.

Ride at the back and keep your spanners off our moles.

Offline troybilt

• Site Supporter
« Reply #43 on: Mar 21, 2012, 22:07:07 »
Man that's gonna be cool
Thank you. I'm hoping its cool in more ways than one ;D . If the breeze off the water the other day was any indication then we should at least be comfortable ;D

Heck yeah Troy! It's starting to show it's potential now.......I'm glad you guys like that window (and it arrived to your place in one piece). What did the Mrs. say about it when she saw it? It was good to see you guys again - throw another hug in there for your dad from us.

On a side note: yes, those guys showed up after you left. So the CR60 is sold. And I'll talk to my father in law about that other stuff.

The window is fantastic Rich. I called home once we were close and got Suz out of bed :o . She didn't seem to mind, I guess, but she couldn't believe we were going to try to unload the monster with just the three of us :o .
Anyhow, it was great to see you and Meg as well. Dad and I both noticed how much she is glowing and we talked about it on the way home. It's sooooo close and we're all excited for you both!
Congrates on selling the CR! That's fantastic.
If you don't mind ask you father in-law about an entrance door. Best of all it will give us a reason to get together again ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2012, 23:43:10 by troybilt »

— Hindu Proverb

Offline troybilt

• Site Supporter
« Reply #44 on: Mar 21, 2012, 22:11:32 »
That last pic says it all man!  Don't worry, Suz will be sleeping in there in no time!  Great work brother, and give your pops a big ol' bear hug for me.
I dono Kiley at this point i'm not sure I'd want to sleep in there ;D . Hopefully it will start looking like something soon and I can at least show it to her. She's been working late lately and is yet to come down and check it out. I'm really hoping the windows are in and I have the floor scrubbed before she looks too close ;D
But anyhow, yeah looking at it there seems to be some real potential right?

He's over do a hug from me as well so I guess I can do a double one next time ;D

— Hindu Proverb