Slipstream Cycle

www.moto-madness.com

www.caferacerxxx.com

www.oldschoolspeed.com

www.rustrev.com

www.bullitcustomcycles.com

DWMS Racing

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Summer sleeping quarters  (Read 8700 times)

Offline troybilt

• Site Supporter
Re: Summer sleeping quarters
« Reply #45 on: Mar 21, 2012, 22:20:47 »
Troy, you are an impressive man. The can do, make it happen, use what you've got approach to things is absolutely beautiful.

It is something that is disappearing from this country. You should take some of these build threads and pictures and hold seminars for today's youth. Go high school to high school showing kids what can be done with their bare hands. Get kids off their duffs and outside working/thinking/doing. Practical thinking and practical application. Yep.

Justin you are much too kind man but thank you for the kind words. I do agree with trying to motivate a generation. We really have turned into a generation of consumers and its kind of sad.
To be honest though, when it comes to these kind of projects maybe I'm just to ignorant to know that I shouldn't or can't ;D . I don't know what I'm doing but love problem solving. My pops is great at figuring solutions for this kind of stuff and I guess I'm trying to follow in his foot steps. 
"One should not be too distracted by definitions. Ideas transcend definitions." — Neil deGrasse Tyson

"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." — Ray Wylie Hubbard

“There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.”
— Hindu Proverb

Offline troybilt

• Site Supporter
« Reply #46 on: Mar 21, 2012, 22:30:36 »
+10000000 to what Justin said.  To many kids just sit on their buts in front of something electronic and don't know how or why things get done!  They need to learn and balance the games/phones/computers with hands on hard work.

Amen Mike! You know, maybe that's one reason I'm involved with the arts in our community. The arts really do help kids become creative thinkers, focus, problem solve, think outside the box and in general, be more aware of their surroundings. I didn't realize how important the arts are in children's lives until my children were much older. Anyhow, I guess in my own way, I'm trying to make a difference in the lives of children in our community ;D
"One should not be too distracted by definitions. Ideas transcend definitions." — Neil deGrasse Tyson

"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." — Ray Wylie Hubbard

“There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.”
— Hindu Proverb

Offline frogman

• Site Supporter
  • '74 CB360, '71 CB450
« Reply #47 on: Mar 21, 2012, 22:31:45 »
 Maybe it's not the knowing the yes or no... or maybe it is.

Maybe it's just finding the problem and then figuring out YOUR answer... regardless what someome else says is right.

Maybe it's not setting for what is someone else's right, it's finding your own.

Whatever it is, Troy you've got it. Keep it up bud I do hope I get to meet and greet some day, you're one heck of a Guy, few and far between if you ask me.
The reason I talk to myself is that I’m the only one whose answers I accept.

Offline troybilt

• Site Supporter
« Reply #48 on: Mar 21, 2012, 22:47:05 »
Maybe it's not the knowing the yes or no... or maybe it is.

Maybe it's just finding the problem and then figuring out YOUR answer... regardless what someome else says is right.

Maybe it's not setting for what is someone else's right, it's finding your own.

Whatever it is, Troy you've got it. Keep it up bud I do hope I get to meet and greet some day, you're one heck of a Guy, few and far between if you ask me.

Thanks brother. You know, I've spent my entire life watching my father figure out how to do stuff. Maybe not the same way another person might have done it, but quite often the end result would be the same or even better. I think that's worth something ;D .
I really apprecite the kind words. But yeah man I hope to meet you as well. I have a small list going of people on these boards I really hope to meet before my time is up ;D 

— Hindu Proverb

Offline troybilt

• Site Supporter
« Reply #49 on: Mar 21, 2012, 22:55:02 »
So we've put in two pretty hard days but not much exciting to show for it (kind of 6 steps backward to take 1 forward sort of deal ::) ). Anyhow, I did pick up two 6' windows for the front, for $50. Came at the right time because we needed to start building the front wall and until now, we wern't set on window openings.

Yesterday we built the center header and lowered the building in place. As little as that seems, it took most of the day. We had to use two jacks and had to wiggle the building into place.
Building the center header

Getting the building lowered into place. It was an extremely slow process!

At the end of the day, all lowered into place and ready for deconstruction ;D

« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2012, 23:46:34 by troybilt »

— Hindu Proverb

Offline troybilt

• Site Supporter
« Reply #50 on: Mar 21, 2012, 22:59:15 »
The building is this much out of square (the over-hanging part :o ) but soon to be fixed.

Started removing metal

This shot shows some of the cross bracing we did on the inside for the move

« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2012, 23:23:19 by troybilt »

— Hindu Proverb

Offline troybilt

• Site Supporter
« Reply #51 on: Mar 21, 2012, 23:11:00 »
Building a temporary wall

Removed metal for the end that was waaaaaaay out of square and also on the other front corner so that post could be removed as well

Added some bracing to the temporary wall. Removed the Purlins and the posts. Time to work on making the building square. Removed the outside floor joist

Pulled nails from the floor so we could cut it square

Cut the floor (back to square)

Cut the front fascia board and headers to proper length and added new side fascia floor joist (still need to add the treated fascia end to the headers, below the building). The building is now square and ready to build on!!! In the end after the metal is back on this end it won't look much different than when we started,...other than being straight and true.

a little math on the top and bottom plates to figure and mark where the headers, jack studs and full studs will go. Should start to go pretty smooth from hear on out. Hopefully this weekend we'll be building the walls, adding windows and making her a little more weather tight
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2012, 02:06:05 by troybilt »

— Hindu Proverb

Online Tim

• Administrator
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #52 on: Mar 21, 2012, 23:46:54 »
When I was at this point on rebuilding my 80 year old garage (didn't have to move it, just had to replace 2 walls while leaving the roof intact and reside the entire thing) I started wondering why I didn't build new, but then I looked up into the 80 year old rafters and plank roof and remembered.
Zed's dead baby... Zed's dead.

Offline troybilt

• Site Supporter
« Reply #53 on: Mar 21, 2012, 23:54:41 »
Hahaha. Did the same exact thing. We really considered tearing the thing down and rebuilding it but we quickly realized that a lot of the materials wouldn't have survived.

— Hindu Proverb

Offline troybilt

• Site Supporter
« Reply #54 on: Mar 23, 2012, 21:09:31 »
Finally a few steps forward.
 Built the front wall today and got the windows in. I'm pretty happy with how strong it is. The windows have a header made of 2-2x8s sandwiching 1/2" OSb sheeting. There are 2-2x4 post and also 2 jack studs (totalling 4 -2x4s) on the side of each window
Dad building one of the shorter headers

Headers in place.
They were nailed together then the wall was built using 3 and 4 inch decking screws. There are 3-2x4 top plates over the header and 1 plate on the bottom. Main reason for that many plates is due to spacing however,  the additional strength won't hurt ;D 

Windows

Still a lot of work to complete. I'm trying to decide on siding on the window wall. I may use metal as wainscoting then rough sawn board and batten above that? Just not sure yet??

Edit: Didn't mean to leave this one off:

« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2012, 00:49:13 by troybilt »

— Hindu Proverb

Offline troybilt

• Site Supporter
« Reply #55 on: Mar 24, 2012, 00:56:02 »
couple more

Another major torrential down pour and streams of mud ran off the hill and into the pond. The poor pond's not had a break this spring

— Hindu Proverb

Offline Big Rich

• Site Supporter
  • Heaven is so far away.
« Reply #56 on: Mar 24, 2012, 01:14:59 »
Looking good as always Troy! Give it some time, the pond will clear up before you know it.

Seeing that pic of your Dad hanging out the window made me think of the phrase "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones".........
Ride when you can, what you can.

Online Tim

• Administrator
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #57 on: Mar 24, 2012, 01:20:48 »
Would be an awesome place to work on a bike ;)
Zed's dead baby... Zed's dead.

Offline Maritime

• Site Supporter
« Reply #58 on: Mar 26, 2012, 09:15:11 »
Nice Troy, this is really coming a long great.  Best part is hanging with Pap while you work I bet. 

Cheers,

Mike
My Build: My full figured girl: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=13950.msg135199#msg135199
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline troybilt

• Site Supporter
« Reply #59 on: Mar 26, 2012, 10:08:06 »

Looking good as always Troy! Give it some time, the pond will clear up before you know it.

Seeing that pic of your Dad hanging out the window made me think of the phrase "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones".........
Thanks Rich. I ended up putting the bottom feed overflow back on and it's really helped. It was removed for winter. The pond still has room to raise some but that can wait. Its the white pipe in the fore ground. Oh, and amen on not throwing stones ;)

Would be an awesome place to work on a bike ;)
  Agree! At the very least good winter bike storage

Nice Troy, this is really coming a long great.  Best part is hanging with Pap while you work I bet. 

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike. And yes, you hit the nail on the head!

« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2012, 10:21:34 by troybilt »

— Hindu Proverb