Slipstream Cycle

www.moto-madness.com

www.caferacerxxx.com

www.oldschoolspeed.com

www.rustrev.com

www.bullitcustomcycles.com

DWMS Racing

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Summer sleeping quarters  (Read 9525 times)

Offline Ghosttown

Re: Summer sleeping quarters
« Reply #90 on: Aug 03, 2012, 12:01:44 »
Any updates on the sleeping quarters? I love this project!
Bag O' Corn, Friend!

Offline Big Rich

• Site Supporter
  • Heaven is so far away.
« Reply #91 on: Aug 03, 2012, 18:00:34 »
I was just thinking about this last night. How is that window working out? Did you figure out a way to brace it in the center to eliminate that flex?

Offline VonYinzer

• Site Supporter
  • Oh, I got a helmet...
« Reply #92 on: Aug 03, 2012, 22:05:49 »
Troy is no longer posting on DTT. Probably temporary, but there may not be any updates for a good while...
I took the shell off of my racing snail thinking it would make him faster.

It just made him more sluggish.

Offline VonYinzer

• Site Supporter
  • Oh, I got a helmet...
« Reply #93 on: Aug 03, 2012, 22:06:28 »
Just didn't want anyone to think he was ignoring ya.
I took the shell off of my racing snail thinking it would make him faster.

It just made him more sluggish.

Offline cyclefreak

• Site Supporter
Re: Re: Summer sleeping quarters
« Reply #94 on: Aug 04, 2012, 00:08:03 »
Probably temporary,
We certainly hope so.
When in doubt gas it!!!

Offline Ghosttown

« Reply #95 on: Aug 07, 2012, 11:25:05 »
Hope everything is okay.
Bag O' Corn, Friend!

Offline timbutterfield

« Reply #96 on: Oct 19, 2012, 19:57:55 »
Just read this thread. Impressive project!
1995 honda nighthawk 250

1972 honda cb175 project bike

Offline 7aliveatlast7

• the bearded hessian
« Reply #97 on: Nov 19, 2012, 19:23:19 »
wow.  i had to post so i could get updates on this thing if he ends up posting the finished product some day.  what a great project!

Offline rundown

« Reply #98 on: Jan 27, 2013, 11:39:11 »
Ditto this is too cool to die.  Let us hope he posts pictures.

Offline troybilt

• Site Supporter
« Reply #99 on: Jan 27, 2013, 14:45:16 »
Will be back at it very soon guys I promise. The project has been simmering on the back burner taking a back seat to other projects. Not much has been done since my last post other than purchasing about 3ooo boardfeet of some really nice rough sawn pine. It had a little popular mixed in but mostly pine. Some of the boards are 15-16" wide and up to 16' long. Really stoked about that.
Dad is in the middle of updating one of his bathrooms so he probably won't be around much for the home stretch. I've made some decision about electric and plumbing. I waffled on not having electric instead it was going to have LP gas lights. Decided to wire the building for a couple lights and outlets. If I plumb water to the building it will be for limited use. I plan to have a sink in the kitchen that will be cold only for the time being (hope to build a drain back solar hot water system sometime down the road. The bathroom will be on the outside of the existing foot print attached to the back side of the building and will house a shower, sink and composting toilet. A 200' ditch will need to be dug from the barn to run the utilities. Plan is to run both water and electric but the water won't be hooked up to the building until next phase down the road.
The cabin is south facing and has plenty of solar gain in the winter. It should stay nice and toasty when the sun shines however, I hope to locate a small wood stove for days when the sun doesn't shine. That will come later as well. Right now the next step is to finish studding out the walls, rough in the wiring, insulate and finish with rough sawn walls, ceiling and floor.
 Its kind of cramped at the moment because some of the newly purchased lumber is being stored inside. So a little organizing is in order. Hopefully one day this week.

To keep everyone entertained thought I'd show some of my latest projects.
I'll post a few pics after I post this to keep from losing what's here already.

"One should not be too distracted by definitions. Ideas transcend definitions." — Neil deGrasse Tyson

"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." — Ray Wylie Hubbard

“There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.”
— Hindu Proverb

Offline troybilt

• Site Supporter
« Reply #100 on: Jan 27, 2013, 14:51:37 »
First super storm sandy brought down millions of trees in our area. Luckly our house, barn and cabin were spared

Finally got some money to put metal on the barn. WE are building it as money allows so progress has been slow. We've had tar paper on parts of the roof awaiting metal. The paper needs changed out every few months and  it's been a PITA. Been chnging tarpaper every few monts for about 4 years. The was at the tail end of the Sandy storm. No electric for about 2 weeks mae life interesting. Anyhow, weather had changed to full on winter so progress has stopped until later this spring

More on the house's hot water replumb soon. Currently Firefox clipboard stopped copy/paste so I'll need to figure out what's up before I can post pics

« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2013, 14:59:18 by troybilt »
"One should not be too distracted by definitions. Ideas transcend definitions." — Neil deGrasse Tyson

"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." — Ray Wylie Hubbard

“There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.”
— Hindu Proverb

Offline Big Rich

• Site Supporter
  • Heaven is so far away.
« Reply #101 on: Jan 27, 2013, 20:44:27 »
You're a machine Troy.......

Don't hesitate to recruit some of us Northerners btw......my son is starting to learn to swing a hammer, so you'll have another helper. Granted, that hammer is a rattle, but all in due time......

Offline troybilt

• Site Supporter
« Reply #102 on: Jan 27, 2013, 22:24:00 »
You're a machine Troy.......

Don't hesitate to recruit some of us Northerners btw......my son is starting to learn to swing a hammer, so you'll have another helper. Granted, that hammer is a rattle, but all in due time......
Hahah I love that man. My kids used to love to drive nails. I can remember boards that had so many nails you couldn't tell there was a board underneath.
And yeah man anytime anyone want's to come out I'd appreciate any help

— Hindu Proverb

Offline troybilt

• Site Supporter
« Reply #103 on: Jan 27, 2013, 22:55:58 »
Ok like I promised here are a few pics of my latest project. We now heat our water with our woodstove. The stainless tank beside the stove was free from a neighbor. It was part of a salt water treatment system in someone's home and certified to use in a pressurized system. The tank is now being used as a storage/buffer tank that circulates heated water via thermal siphon. Once it reaches temperature a small pump kicks on and circulates that water into a second storage/buffer tank hiding inside a closet located directly behind the stainless tank. The controller is set to cooling with a sensor on the stainless tank. Once the stainless tank reaches a preset temp the circulator turns on and runs until a preset lower temperature is reached. Its actually very quiet and you don't even hear it running.
These tanks feed a third tank in the system. When running there is about 112 gal of hot water available. Anyhow, there is actually much more to the system with proper safety measures installed. I don't recommend doing this because if you don't know what your doing it can be very dangerous.

Early numbers are very encouraging. Up to this point we have been averaging 70-75 KWH/day. We tend to use a good bit of hot water because we also use it to cycle thru our floors if the suns not shining (our house is passive solar) Anyhow, we now average 19-21 KWH/day. We should see a massive difference in our electric bill. 
Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics

This photo is before I plumbed the discharge for the P/T valve for this tank. Still gives a good idea of whats going on

I dedicate the rest of the thread to finishing the cabin. Honest

— Hindu Proverb

Offline john83

• Site Supporter
« Reply #104 on: Jan 27, 2013, 23:00:46 »
Looking good bro.