half a cb350

hotfunk67

Been Around the Block
DTT BOTM WINNER
Here is my little project, and I mean little a 71 cb175. I have owned this for the past few years and it was my first bike. Lately it is need of a makeover so I decided to get my finger out and get into it. After reading through a few of the builds on your site the inspiration has struck so off we go...
The strip down begins.
cb175-2.jpg

A bit later
cb175-1.jpg

how many parts will be lost forever in this mess... oh well. ;D

I decided to try my luck at making a seat out of fibreglass.
designed a template out of ply
Seatbase001.jpg

added the hump
Seatbase007.jpg

from the side
Seatbase010.jpg

next I filled it full of expandable foam
Foam001.jpg

then i trimmed the basic shape
Foam002.jpg

shaped it smooth with this thing
Foam003.jpg

from the back
Foam004.jpg

and the side
frameandseatmod.jpg

then layed some glass
Foam005.jpg

then I had to start all over again because I didnt seal the foam and the resin ate it all away.... oops

Dood, i gotta say, thats a damn hot way to do the buck for a seat. I did my buck completely out of foam, but i think that i may in fact try this way next seat. INdeed its looking good bro. For sealing foam, simply cover it with painters tape well. Thats what i did, worked great. You can even use a good car wax as a release agent. Worked for me...:) Sweet shit :)

the other option is to pay the premium for epoxy resin, west systems or similar. it's a different composition then polyester resins, and doesn't eat the foam away. i've used it as a sealant without glassfiber, on foam models. it's also stiffer then polyester resins.
that's a very shapely seat though, it suits the size of the bike perfectly.

thanks for the comment guys. Liam I'm in Sydney, dont know if there are other Aussies on here probably would be. Funny you were following mysta2 and chris's builds I was doing the same thing until I found this site and now they are on here as well...

So I bought some clubmans and tried them on. personally I think they are a bit too wide, (comments???)
bars-1.jpg

Love the seat build hotfunk, that's awesome. I built my buck out of foam, but was always struggling and worrying about symmetry. The way you did yours would be much much better in this respect. You can draw it all out and know that it's symmetrical. Sucks about the foam, but at least your whole buck wasn't made of foam, then you'd be pissed.

Post some more pics when you finish the seat.

I took a break from the seat and decided some knee indents would look cool, so I bought a hammer...
tank11.jpg

ten minutes later it looked like this
tank-4.jpg

thanks HerrDeacon it was actually your seat build that gave me the info to use aluminium foil for the next attempt which worked really well by the way... Thanks for that. I'll post pics later on my seat still not finished having some troubles with the shape down the sides.

Yep, good work. I've personally never used poly resin because it is stinky (you knew that) and because it is not as strong as epoxy resins. One suggestion I would have made was to give the seat a return on the sides. This adds significantly to the strength of the seat and gives you more mounting options.

You basically made a mouldless seat. If you had made a moulded seat (like Mysta2 did), you would have been able to sell duplicates, which would have been nice. A guy posted a GREAT write up on how to do moulded seat construction in the seats section of the forum. He used poly plastic, though.

The overall shape and porportions of your seat is great. I'm looking forward to following along.

--Chris

Kick ass project you got there! Something different. Love to see how this turns out. With the 350s, 360s and 400s project threads going on, and now this 175, i guess small displacements are in and are finally coming out of the woodwork. I am so happy we got a 350 to add to our bike roster. So easy to work on and so easy to ride. Anyway, Keep up the good work Hotfunk.

Benjie

very nice Hotfunk. you are powering through that stuff. oddly enough i will have to take time away from my build. im going to Sydney this weekend. ill be around Manly for a few days. might have to check you out. good call on the clubmans being wide. the 175 tank is pretty narrow. well i will be sure to follow your build as well.

seat pad looks a bit high in the side profile, we'll see how it goes???
_MG_1892.jpg

decided to bob the front fender with a hacksaw and tin snips, just needs a bit of filing.
_MG_1014.jpg

_MG_1019.jpg

i like it!!!

whats under 30 years of grease?
_MG_1026.jpg

_MG_1027.jpg

looking good i'll have to get around to finishing it...

dont know what rack it is it come with the bike, its acting as a bike stand at the moment.
_MG_1021.jpg

I haven't posted in a while but I have a week off to do some work on my bike so hopefully there'll be a few to come.

My problem at the moment is that I have come across another tank for my bike and now I can't decide on which way to go, so I thought I would put it out there and see what you guys think.

The bike as is at the moment.

What I like about this tank is that it is a bit more old school looking than the new tank. What I dont like is the way it turns up at the front and I personally think it makes the seat base look too long. If I had the skills to lengthen the tank then it would be a no brainer but alas those skills escape me.
tankseat-4.jpg

tankseat-3.jpg

The new tank

I like how this has anice line to the bottom of the tank and how it comes down to the seat, I think the seat base looks good with this tank.

tankseat-5.jpg

tankseat-2.jpg

So any comments would be appriciated

Back
Top Bottom