www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: new cafe build cb450  (Read 83664 times)

Offline MJPriceisright

new cafe build cb450
« on: Apr 11, 2012, 23:13:27 »
hey, been reading a bit for the last couple weeks on this forums, just wanted to share my story and my new project.. been riding sport bikes since i was 18, (currently 27)  but have recently just fallen in love with that old school cafe racer style.  so thats where im at, went out and picked up a 72 CB450, and going to fix it up.. found it off craigslist, guy had no idea how to mod or build bikes and said he bought it from a auction or something.. i was pretty excited cause i was getting it for pretty cheap and it had everything i needed to get started.. until i tried to kick it over.... damn.  he had already told me it had been diagnosed with low compression, and it currently didnt run. but when i tried to kick it over to make sure it wasnt seized, wouldnt kick..  anyways.. thats where im at, tore it down basically to the frame yesterday and im going to build it back up from the frame.  here are some pics, im sure i will be all over this website looking for more information and asking questions, thanks!

Offline MJPriceisright

Re: new cafe build cb450
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 2012, 23:16:40 »
got the engine to turn, hoping the rings were maybe just frozen to the cylinder walls.. but started my tear down, pretty excited, here are a couple pics.

Offline MJPriceisright

« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2012, 23:18:53 »
tear down and "box O crap"

Offline MJPriceisright

« Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 2012, 23:30:56 »
front forks

Offline hurley209

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2012, 14:58:07 »
more pictures. i like pictures hahha
your mom
your sister
yeeeeah buddy

Offline MJPriceisright

« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2012, 23:38:10 »
some new pics of the engine tear down, everything looking good, one of the pistons the rings were locked and compressed the whole way, could barely even seen where the break in the rings were... one small rookie problem, i dropped a wrist pin circlip down into the crank case, cause im an idiot, i even had a magnet pressed right against it, somehow is slipped and fell anyways... any ideas on how i should get that out? long magnet fishing?  anyways, gonna dive into the soda blasting this weekend and get the motor cleaned up, painted, and back together this weekend.  frame and swing arm are both out getting blasted at the moment as well.

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2012, 11:30:22 »
Slow down a little and think this one through.  If you plan on blasting anything on that motor, you should completely strip it and then you can get it clean.

Just a couple of observations/comments/questions on the bike.  Did it come with a title?  If not, you might want to take care of that first.

The bars have been flipped which is a pretty good sign that the PO had no idea what he was doing.  tires are old and crusty, but I'm sure you noticed that.  rear wheel is a seventies chopper look.  HD 16" rim and fat tire.  You might want to change that for a suitable 18" rim.

That exhaust pipe appears to belong to a much smaller motor.

Do you have a clear plan and vision of what you are trying to achieve? It's good to have a plan. We don't want to see any pictures of showers of sparks as you grind off parts that the bike will actually need.  Assuming that you want a bike that can be ridden safely and which will be fun to ride, think it through first and do a dry build first before you get anywhere close to paint etc.

Even the bozos @OCC know to dry build and do the fab work first and then break it down for paint and plating and do a final build.  Even better to run it before paint to see what needs to be changed.  That part is rarely shown on TV...

And good luck.  Have fun creating your dream bike.

Offline chheikki

« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2012, 15:21:01 »
I have heard that soda blasting could be done to clean the engine without tearing it down. That is what I'm planning to do because no idea to tear down a perfectly working engine. Any thoughts on that?
Bikes:
Honda CB 450 -73
Ducati 999 -04

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #8 on: Apr 26, 2012, 15:51:15 »
My thoughts and others are not always the same, and I can't speak for anyone else, so here's my thoughts...

There's an argument that a complete motor can be blasted as one lump, as long as every orifice is completely and perfectly sealed.  I always strip a motor to clean it.  And if do get a case blasted, I still have to spend hours cleaning beads and debris out of all the threaded holes and nook and crannies.

The inside has to be spotless.  The tiniest amount of glass beads inside a motor will wreck it in short order. looking at the pictures you posted, I'd suggest that there's nothing about that motor that says "perfectly working engine".  Rings were rusted in place, intake ports full of crud.

You and I must have a different interpretation of the word perfect.

Yes. I am busting your chops. That's because I want you to have the opportunity to have a sweet running bike when you are done and not a frustrating pile of problems. Building a bike isn't a five minute job for any of us, but attention to detail pays dividends later on.

BTW, what was the answer on the title?

Offline MJPriceisright

« Reply #9 on: Apr 26, 2012, 16:27:35 »
"slow down a little" teazer,  your getting myself (MJPriceisright), and chheikki mixed up.  i have had my hand in 10 second 4 cylinder turbo cars, and ive been amateur racing litre bikes for the past few years.. so i know exactly what im doing in terms of, "lets do this the right way, the first time" situations... ask anyone who plays with multiple stage nitrous setups, we know how to blow shit up.  as for your questions.  yes it has a title, its one of the most important factors when purchasing a project bike,car, motorcycle, recreational vehicle, whatever it may be..  yes i have an absolute vision on where i would like this bike to head, plenty of guys on these forums have inspired me and given me ideas for building up my own creation.  and for you chheikki, my own two pennies, do what your time, knowledge and budget can afford.  if you cant tear down a motor, then find a way to spray that bad boy together.  i have read multiple threads about guys soda blasting and painting, its amazing how some of the engine parts come out after, im excited to do this myself.  i personally dont feel like tearing the bottom end apart and doing the lower cases, so im going to be careful and do it all together most likely.  but teazer makes a valid (slightly obvious) point that you dont want any foreign matter inside the motor.  that goes for any motor big or small.  but if your building a show bike, then spend the time and money to take it apart, and do it piece by piece..