Slipstream Cycle

www.moto-madness.com

www.caferacerxxx.com

www.oldschoolspeed.com

www.rustrev.com

www.bullitcustomcycles.com

DWMS Racing

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: Viability of a putting a modern sportbike front end on a CL350  (Read 8044 times)

Offline Finnigan

• Site Supporter
Re: Viability of a putting a modern sportbike front end on a CL350
« Reply #30 on: Nov 26, 2012, 19:44:21 »
If you had good brakes in front are you going to upgrade the rear drum?

Offline Ringo

• Site Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Nov 28, 2012, 23:18:53 »
I agree to an extent. If you have yourself a bike worth restoring or that's the way you want to go then by all means use period parts. But I know a few old guys who were building up cafe racers in the 60's and a few of them are still at it. For them it was normal to take the best bits you could find and make them work. That's how thinks like Norvins and Tritons came into existence. Hell! Look at the Rickman brothers they made it a profession. But back in the day the biggest twin leading shoe breaks you could find was preferable and sought after. So why shouldn't we keep the precedent and swap stock for bigger and better on our bikes?

I don't really think that argument is valid for our purposes.  Let's step back and be honest with ourselves here.  We're chasing a style.  All of us.  Anybody on this site who says they aren't, is a liar.  If we were chasing performance, we'd be modifying more modern sport bikes.  The average age of a motorcycle on this site is 35-40 years old.  "Back in the day" they weren't taking 40-year-old bikes and fitting them with the newest, best parts they could find. 

A modern front end is all fine and dandy, but let's not BS ourselves and play it off like we're sticking true to our "roots".  If that was the case, the most cost-effective route for performance would be a newer bike with newer mods.  You're going to get a lot more for your money going that route, than reviving these old machines...
Chris

Offline Finnigan

• Site Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Nov 29, 2012, 01:24:42 »
totally agree ^

Offline darksidephoto

« Reply #33 on: Nov 29, 2012, 01:29:38 »
Here is a pic of my 68CB350 , I put a 2008 GSXR750 front end on it without too much trouble.. figure 1000-1200 to do the swap including the cost of the front end and front wheel , brakes ect.. feel free to contact me if you want a full run down of the process.

Offline gnarshread

« Reply #34 on: Nov 29, 2012, 11:28:41 »

I don't really think that argument is valid for our purposes.  Let's step back and be honest with ourselves here.  We're chasing a style.  All of us.  Anybody on this site who says they aren't, is a liar.  If we were chasing performance, we'd be modifying more modern sport bikes.  The average age of a motorcycle on this site is 35-40 years old.  "Back in the day" they weren't taking 40-year-old bikes and fitting them with the newest, best parts they could find. 

A modern front end is all fine and dandy, but let's not BS ourselves and play it off like we're sticking true to our "roots".  If that was the case, the most cost-effective route for performance would be a newer bike with newer mods.  You're going to get a lot more for your money going that route, than reviving these old machines...

Fair enough. I'm getting into this because I love the aesthetic. Its a fashion accessory. I cant afford a manx norton so I've got to make do with a 350 Honda. But still, I have in my mind exactly what I want to do with it. Its not because the bike is going to get me laid more. Its a tinkerers desire to just see if I can do it for the hell of it and the satisfaction of a project. Its more hey look what I did! and it looks cool! and allot less, Hey guys! my old piece of junk is soooo much cooler than your Duc because its custom!

Offline timmysf

« Reply #35 on: Nov 29, 2012, 12:28:05 »
you know what..  for all the people who are saying this is an absurd idea - screw em.   if you have a particular look or style u want to do then by all means go for it.   i think people who build and ride bobbers/choppers are silly but i would also fiercely defend their right to do so and would never tell them what to NOT do.    its a free world man.

as for your question -  it can be done.  and u dont even need to press stems or whatever.  All-Balls now sells exactly the bearings you need, so you can retain the stock stem.  You just need a fork from a GSXR 600/750.   But you'll need to do a bit of machining mix-n-match for the hub if you want to retain your spoked wheels (or just go with the mag off a GSXR to keep costs down)  I did a bit of a write up on the fork conversion here: http://wiki.getsetbean.com/display/HONDACB/GSX-R+600%2C750+Forks+on+CB350

Offline gnarshread

« Reply #36 on: Nov 30, 2012, 15:54:12 »
Has anyone had any experience with the front end from an SV650? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline timmysf

« Reply #37 on: Nov 30, 2012, 17:44:47 »

i know people upgrade SV650 with GSXR600/750 front ends. its supposed to be a straight up swap.  so your approach would likely be similar to the GSXR fork swap process outlined in this thread. 

Has anyone had any experience with the front end from an SV650? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline johnu

« Reply #38 on: Nov 30, 2012, 23:33:33 »
Here is a pic of my 68CB350 , I put a 2008 GSXR750 front end on it without too much trouble.. figure 1000-1200 to do the swap including the cost of the front end and front wheel , brakes ect.. feel free to contact me if you want a full run down of the process.

That's a great looking bike you've got there.

Can't see how you come up with $1000-$1200 to do the swap though.  I've done it on my T500 using Kawi 636 front end for less than $500.

Offline 50gary

• Under the Limelight
« Reply #39 on: Dec 01, 2012, 00:16:03 »
I've done three forks conversions thus far.  XS650 with an R6 front end.  Honda CX500 with a GSXR750 front (kept the Comstar wheels) and my current project a cafe/track bike an RT360/250 single with a GSXR600 fork set with old school GS mags.  All the bikes have matching wheels and rear disc brakes.  Not for everyone but that's the point of custom bike building, build to your own vision.  It can be done for a little or a lot depending on your resources?  Love the Honda 350 btw good job.
  Cheers, 50gary
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2012, 00:37:52 by 50gary »
Short track speedskating, cycling, guitars, motorcycles, juggling dynamite. I was born to laugh at Tornadoes.

Offline teazer

• Site Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Dec 01, 2012, 00:41:39 »
I have a set of GSXR750 forks on one of my 76GT750s and there is no way that it's period.  It's not supposed to be.  It's my bike and I basically know what I'm doing and can make a reasonable assessment of the risks. I can measure steering geometry and make a reasonable guess as to how it will handle.  Better front brakes to me means even less reason to have a back brake weighing the back end down. They don't contribute much to braking except in the wet when they are a godsend.

As someone mentioned ealier a front end swap is not cheap.  By the time you get forks and new rims and disks and capilers and brackets and spokes etc it can get quite pricey.  Using the huge rims from a modern sportbike on a tiny twin is overkill and won't help handling much so new rims are probably going to be on the shopping list.

From my perspective, modern suspension can look good on a custom and after all we are building custom bikes not replicas of the sixties as a rule.

The big issue with fitting modern forks is not stem length or bearings or caliper brackets or any of the other details that still have to be worked out.  It's steering geometry. That can bite if you get it wrong so take a lot of measurements before during and after and if it looks unsafe or the numbers are out of bounds, change it.

There are some seriously stupid and unsafe custom bikes around.  Probably 75% are less effective as motorcycles than they were before the "builder " started so think twice and cut once.  It's a fashion, yes, but that doesn't mean that we have to follow every stupid idea just because it's trendy.

The irony is that people used to ride cafe racers to be different now we build them to be the same sort of different as everyone else. Be original people. And be safe and have fun being creative.

Offline 50gary

• Under the Limelight
« Reply #41 on: Dec 01, 2012, 13:29:52 »
I thought about the 550 swap, but I'd still wind up with mediocre (disc) breaks, limited tire selection, and (most likely, depending on where they came from), worn forks. It would probably be a small difference in money for the swap vs the excellent breaks, excellent tire selection, and much better forks of many front-ends from the last decade.
Brooklyn/Manhattan?  have you been to "Sixth St.  Cycles" lower East side.
    As far as the idea of 550 forks and brakes, never go half way across a stream, if you want the modern front end just do it.  On my current Yam Rt360/250 conversion I'm only using a single 320mm rotor from an '09 Honda CBR1000R so the single rotor gives a nice light airy look.  Properly chosen you can find significantly shorter forks (my '03 GSXR600 forks are only 28.5" axle center to top cap) which can help the rake angle will also be stiffer.  The much larger tube diameter (45mm) looks heavier but in reality are not because of much thinner wall tubing.  Aluminum triples are not only lighter but have much less offset which will give quicker steering and shorter front wheelbase.  As far as period correct that's funny, 1959 didn't have too many disc brakes or digital ignitions or three cylinder two strokes with chambers etc.  Cafe has become pretty much an open category.  I see the current trend of a "cafe" bike with off road tires and "cafe" bikes with the 16" Firestone balloon tires as well.   Which is fine with me, I like the individualism of all custom bikes.
  Cheers, 50gary
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2012, 00:31:21 by 50gary »
Short track speedskating, cycling, guitars, motorcycles, juggling dynamite. I was born to laugh at Tornadoes.

Offline gnarshread

« Reply #42 on: Dec 10, 2012, 12:32:44 »
I did the USD modern fork swap several years ago.......very easy to do.....just swap the stems.
This bike is a 1969 CB350 with 1998 GSXR750 inverted forks.

During mock up:

How hard was it to use a modern rear wheel and disc break in the original swing arm? I'm assuming some fab work is called for? I took my swing arm (cl350) to a mates the other day to offer it up to a wheel (from and SV650) he wants to sell me and It looks like it might fit but with about a gnats cock on either side. Any input? I've been perving on Ohiocaferacers.com for a wile and I'm amazed by the 350 project but need a bit of help getting my head around the rear end. Any advice of help would be great.

Offline ag12680

« Reply #43 on: Dec 30, 2012, 21:38:43 »
Hi ohiocaferacer, nice work... What rearsets are you using and why the clamps vs welding mounts on the frame?

I'm doing a 400F build and sorting all this out now...

Thanks!

Offline gnarshread

« Reply #44 on: Jan 29, 2013, 12:09:40 »
Hey guys! Change of direction here but how about the viability of using a modern rear end? I've got an SV650 rear wheel I want to use on my CL350 and Cant seem to figure out how to make it work. Any ideas?