www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 71 CL175 cleanup  (Read 6574 times)

Offline Azbiker

71 CL175 cleanup
« on: Apr 28, 2012, 02:55:16 »
I am just tearing this one down and cleaning her up for the most part. New paint and parts throughout. I think every oil seal in the engine is bad as well as gaskets. Have all of those to replace as well. Basically, when the frame gets back from being media blasted I will be paintin git a semigloss black. Fenders will be semigloss black and tank will be gold flake. All this will be done with duplicolor rattlecans. I like to use the 500 degree high heat cans.

Paid $325 for the bike with a title and extra set of carbs. Tires are fairly new so I can still run them.

Offline JohnnyC

71 CL175 cleanup
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2012, 02:59:38 »
Nice start to a project. Looks fairly complete?

Offline Azbiker

Re: 71 CL175 cleanup
« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2012, 02:59:52 »
More work done.....

Blasted and painted fenders.

Offline Azbiker

« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2012, 03:02:11 »
Fork tubes were rusty. Spent a buttload of time on the buffing wheel getting them to the point in the picture (left one is done in the pic).

Offline SoyBoySigh

« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2012, 14:13:02 »
Sorry man, but I really liked the patina on that tank! I hope you're gonna go with the same decal at least? What cool-assed bikes they are, damn. You know, the press-steel framed bikes are becoming more and more THE thing. I can't wait to see this same technology reproduced in alloy, know what I mean? It would neccessitate thicker sheet and all, but if they did something similar to this kind of thing that didn't rust, with the whole computer generating and everything, then all that "new" delta-box shit will be on the trash heap for a change. I've always loved my tube-framed bikes, but my little Passport Cub-type scooter really gave me an appreciation for the pressed-steel stuff. And it's not even a complete frame, the "under-bone" is a big-assed tube. Somebody's gotta come up with an alloy frame kit for some of the new high-tech motors, you know? CRF450 in there, shrouded pressed steel leading link suspension, etc etc.... THEN you've just gotta build a new barrel and head for the thing with a classic air-cooled finned look to the whole package, and it will be THE SHIT!!! Ha ha. Ahh.... I guess I'd better buy a lottery ticket one of these days. "You can't win it if you ain't in it!"

-S.
Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day.

Offline SoyBoySigh

« Reply #5 on: Apr 28, 2012, 14:22:03 »
Shame on them for not makin' these little babies anymore! Damn, I just keep staring at that bike as you bought it, and it blows my mind that you got it for so cheap. That is certainly one classic cool little Honda right there. Damn.
Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day.

Offline Azbiker

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 20:31:25 »
Started to break the engine down today. have new oil seals and gaskets. Seat pan is at my upholstery guy right now getting slimlined with some black vinyl that has a pebble finish to it. Should look good. Had frame media blasted. Just got done painting her up.

Offline Azbiker

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 23:47:07 »
Cleaned up the engine cases and painted them. Wheels are on bike.

Offline DoTheJon

• surfing and motorcycles.... yup
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 02:48:36 »
stator cover looks awesome!
My CB360 Barn find http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=29298.20

“America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.”-Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

Offline Azbiker

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 22:01:34 »
Thanks Jon.

Installed engine today. Also took a pic of the girl who will own this bike one day.

I think there is enough gold paint on it. In the beginning I was thinking of doing the fenders in the gold flake paint as well as the tank. Kinda glad I didn't.

Also, anyone know which dust books would fit on these forks? I fon't want the gator style boots. Just the caps. Can't seem to find any anywhere....even ebay. The fork seals had to be ordered directly through a OEM honda dealer.