I have been working on the seat a little at a time after work. Mainly, I have been doing some minor shaping and filling in of small air pockets that develop in the resin and bondo. I also figured out how to attach it to the bike. I glassed in to "L" brackets to the back which line up with two already-existing holes in the seat sub-frame. I got some nuts and bolts and the seat now bolts to the rear via the brackets. I had to notch the seat a little so it sits flush with the subframe. The front was much harder to figure out. I made a large bracket that bolts to the subframe. It follows the underneath part of the seat. I used some thick aluminum stock. I then glassed some bolts into the seat and drilled two matching holes in the bracket. The wing nuts I got to secure the seat are a little hard to get to from underneath. I may drill a small hole in each bolt and use cotter pins to hold the seat in place for easier removal.
I also made a subframe cover out of thick ABS plastic. I will provide a floor for storage area under the seat for electronics such as Battery, wiring and relays.
I started work on the gas tank early this morning. I stripped off the ugly red paint off the gas cap and it revealed the original black paint. Then I ground off the black paint to reveal the bare metal. My plan is to polish the gas cap.
I ground off the original Kawasaki decals and plan to strip the entire tank. I also filled in the remaining minor dents with bondo and sanded smooth. I did a light spray of primer over the dent areas and will sand to make sure the dents are smooth. The primer will reveal the low spots. There are some threaded metal areas that were originally used to attach the fairing. Those need to be ground down and bondoed smooth as well.
After the tank is prepped, I decided to cover the tank and seat in 3M carbon fiber vinyl. I haven't picked it up yet from my "vinyl guy" but he tells me it looks really good and has a semi-gloss finish. Ill keep you posted and may send some pics along the way if u like.
Pic from a couple days ago:
The paint scheme I am thinking of doing: