interesting tank sight guage idea

ryanglade

Been Around the Block
I am looking for a way to tell how much gas is in my tank while I am riding. I have thought about the sight tube but I have heard from my local motorsports guy that the ethanol in the gas tends to eat through the tube and ends up leaking gas. I do not know from experience but that would be a concern of mine.

I am open for all ideas you might have, even the seemingly obvious ones.

Here is an idea a coworker had today;
He thought I could side mount a float in the tank and connect it to a needle (or other object, open for your own imaginations) that pointed exactly in line with the float. That would give an indication of the gas level that would be pretty easy to see while riding down the road. The concern is finding a way to seal the linkage from leaking gas while still leaving it free to move.

any ideas?

if you had a filler that wasn't center mounted you could use an indicator that used to be on old riding lawn mowers.

P0001959.jpg

The obvious one is to just keep an eye on your odometer and fill up before needing to flip to reserve.

What tank is it? There are some aftermarket gas caps on eBay for certain bikes that have a float gauge built in.

I have to figure out what kinda range I get once I finish the bike.

I want to run no ethanol but it can be hard to find in some areas, and I would hate to be stuck somewhere that doesn't sell nonethanol.

The cap with the gauge in it might work. I have an xs650 and I am using the stock tank, tho I am probably gonna put a new filler and filler cap on it.

I appreciate the responses, all good ideas. Does anyone know what I could use to seal a moveable part such as the float gauge idea?

I was thinking about doing a sight tube as well. Does anyone know if you use non-ethanol gas and then are forced to use ethanol gas because you are in an area where there is no non-ethanol stations, will it do any damage to the bike. Can you mix the two or would that not work?

The only issue I have heard is that ethanol will eat up the plastic tube of the sight tube. I do not know how long it takes and I do not know how much damage a tank of ethanol will do here and there.

I wish I could be more helpful.

Back
Top Bottom