wiring in new regulator/ rectifier

sbaugz

DTT BOTM winner
I was looking at replacing the regulator and rectifier with an all in one unit on my CB360.
Here is the one I was looking at getting:
a20791b12f0372cbe7e328_m.JPG

its a kohler riding lawnmower regulator rectifier unit. A couple people on hondatwins forum have used it on their vintage hondas. They are about $25. There are three wires. Just curious if anyone on this forum has used them before. There are three terminals- one for pink, one for red/white, and one for yellow. It doesn't use green ground because you ground the unit directly to frame. I am assuming I just wire this combo unit into the existing rectifier wiring but then what do I do with the extra wires that would have normally gone to OEM regulator unit ?

Thanks for help.

Sorry, I can't really comment on the all-in-one and such, but I found on my CB450, I only needed to replace the rectifier, which as I understand it can be the weak point in the charging systems of these bikes. Anyway, you might check out this guys stuff http://oregonmotorcycleparts.com/index.html. This is where I bought my rectifier which was literally plug-in-play. He knows what he's doing and could also probably answer your questions as well.

sbaugz said:
would something like this work in my CB360? Its a regulator rectifier from a CBR600 and its only $15
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Regulator-Rectifier-For-Honda-CB250-CB400-CBR600-CBR900-1100XX-VT-VTR-VFR-Hornet-/221021409846?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3375e71236&vxp=mtr
Problem is, when I look up the parts diagram for the CBR600, its shows this unit plus it also shows a rectifier - so I wonder if this unit shown above truly is a regulator rectifier all in one.

I'm 're-designing' the wiring-diagram for my cb360 at the moment.
I'll be using a seperate rectifier (35Amps rectifier bridge, only a few dollars at your electronic store), and a 'car' regulator (bosh 55 Amps) also cheap (max 15 dollars). That way everything is a bit overkill, but very ridgid. I'll be using a seperate battery-charging IC in combination with a Blocking (shotky)-diode, to make sure the battery is charged correctly instead of the standard 'directly trough the rectifier' method. I'll try to post a quick drawing later on....

Attachments

• GWMB3510.jpg
    GWMB3510.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 4,706
  • volkswagen_beetle_1975_voltage_regulator_oem_9_190_087_003_9190087003.jpg
    volkswagen_beetle_1975_voltage_regulator_oem_9_190_087_003_9190087003.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 947
I did the kolher unit mod into my 450 and basically all I did was just cut out other old regulator wiring from the harness. It's spliced right into the wires any way, no loss in important wires. My 360 will be getting the same treatment the next time I have to pull the carbs. I know it has issues over charging once it gets over 7k RPMs so it will be interesting to see if it works better.

IF you've done the radio shack rectifier mod its simple just pull the rectifier, move the wires over to the new unit and plug it back in and mount it.

frogman said:
I did the kolher unit mod into my 450 and basically all I did was just cut out other old regulator wiring from the harness. It's spliced right into the wires any way, no loss in important wires. My 360 will be getting the same treatment the next time I have to pull the carbs. I know it has issues over charging once it gets over 7k RPMs so it will be interesting to see if it works better.

IF you've done the radio shack rectifier mod its simple just pull the rectifier, move the wires over to the new unit and plug it back in and mount it.
This is a quick sketch (no fuses or key-switch yet), to give a basic idea.
The blocking diode makes sure the battery is only charged by the charging module instead of charging it trough the fluctuating rectifier, the battery is only used at engine-start to power coils (and electric start). Once engine is running the battery goes on regulated charge.

Attachments

• BILD0665.JPG
    BILD0665.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,530
frogman said:

What is the radio shack rectifier mod?

Linkage is from Honda twins

http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=7933&hilit=rectifier

Worked great for the year I ran it till I up graded to the combined unit.

Just the info I was looking for! Thanks Frogman! What combined unit did you install?

Here's the linkage to that topic!

http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=14530

Fits right in the same place using the same wiring for the rectifier.

Great idea! I'm looking the combined units now, but have one question about them. They state they are for engines with 8-24 horse power. The max for a CB 350 is 36. I understand this is the MAX for the bike, but what is the effect on the unit and bike once the bike goes over a24 hp?

This is the one I'm getting unless someone pops up in the next few hours screaming "NOOOO!!!!!"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260795397971?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

RGRH said:
Great idea! I'm looking the combined units now, but have one question about them. They state they are for engines with 8-24 horse power. The max for a CB 350 is 36. I understand this is the MAX for the bike, but what is the effect on the unit and bike once the bike goes over a24 hp?

It's not really a horsepower rating, as what engines have the alternator that uses this type. The regulator is rated for 15 Amps, some may be 20. The CB350 has a 110 Watt alternator, which is not quite 10 amps on a good day. So a 15 amp rated regulator or better is fine for the CB350, and CB360.

Myd is on the money, and that is the same unit I'm running in both my bikes works fine for a 450 or 360 that much I can vouch for.

Thanks for all the help guys! I'll update once it comes in and I get everything hooked up!

I have this same unit but have not hooked it up either. The guys at Honda Twins seem to have good luck with it, and I am all about getting rid of unnecessary baggage. RGRH please let us know how it works out for you.

I went a different path. Using a rectifier/regulator from a '78 CB400. It is bigger but I know someone using it with great results.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom