battery tray under seat

nemo

Just wondering if anybody could post some pictures of what their battery tray setup looks like under their seat hump?..I will be powdercoating my frame very soon so i need to weld a box to it so looking for some ideas. thanks

Here is mine. It isn't very pretty, but I did what I could with hand tools and my limit knowledge on metal work.

P5221905.jpg

Mid-build shot of mine. The regulator, rectifier, and starter relay also got mounted to the plate.

44bdbacd-6734-60df.jpg

i have a 74 cb550

Thanks for the pics guys.
@Tim..i like what you did with the double layers and it looks like you didn't do any welding? just drilling into the frame?

@flugtechnik..do you a picture of the finished product?

These are probably the best pics I have.

photo%25201.JPG

photo%25202.JPG

The tray actually sits about 1/4 inch above the bottom of the tail light. I sized my seat hump pretty much to fit that big ass tail light. The hump just touched the battery box.

Yup no welding - just a few holes in those plates across the frame and those bolts to hang the lower tray with (spaced with rubber bushings) and then longer ones to sandwich the entire thing together with the upper tray.

My replica Manx seat has 4 studs on it that align with holes in the upper tray. Some nyloc nuts on them and the seat is firmly mounted.

I've since replaced the AGM battery with a Shorai lithium which is much lighter and smaller.

Okay so does that top plate rest on the frame? on one of the pictures it looks like you have a block of some sort underneath the battery that keeps it up or was that just for the pic? Also, where exactly did you drill the forward holes on the bottom plate, was that near where the tank and seat come together? i didn't see any bolts on the topside of the frame so i wasn't sure what you did there

Tim said:
Here's what I did on my XS650.

XS650Project20090404001.jpg

XS650Project20090404008.jpg

XS650Project20090404013.jpg

XS650Project20090404017.jpg

XS650Project20090404020.jpg

XS650Project20090404022.jpg

Where did you get that wire wrap? im in the middle of re-wiring my xs650 now and want to use that stuff but dont know what it is called and so far havent been able to find it... just the cheap plastic stuff, which would work but doesnt look as nice.

Re: Re: battery tray under seat

axeugene27 said:
Is it ok to just lay a battery on it's side like that or do you need a special type of battery.

You can do it only of its a sealed gel battery, don't do it with the old lead acid ones!

:eek::eek:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Kanticoy said:
You can do it only of its a sealed gel battery, don't do it with the old lead acid ones!

:eek::eek:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The gel types are also specified as AGM by some manufacturers.

Here's what I have mocked up for a small gel battery I plan to get from the DCC crew. Excuse the ugly welding still learning. Cheers, Greg

P1010169.jpg

SloKrt said:
Where did you get that wire wrap? im in the middle of re-wiring my xs650 now and want to use that stuff but dont know what it is called and so far havent been able to find it... just the cheap plastic stuff, which would work but doesnt look as nice.

It's braided sleeving.
http://www.cablemarkers.com/braided.htm

soyanarchisto said:
Or use a lithium battery.

Does anyone have a lithium under the seat? I have been leaning towards a lithium under the seat and would like some feedback from people that have done it this way.

Back
Top Bottom