www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: Carb intake boots - use silicone?  (Read 1078 times)

Offline gomotomoto

Carb intake boots - use silicone?
« on: May 30, 2012, 10:12:22 »
I picked up a nice set of used intake boots from Sonreir. Should I use a bit of silicone between the boot and gasket to ensure an airtight seal?

The boots are in great shape, but theres a slightly imperfect surface as they were installed before; and have a bit of crud on them. I managed to smudge most off, but still a bit remains.

I can't imagine and downsides to silicone, but have never done before.

Offline Tim

• Administrator
  • DTT SUPPORTER
    • DO THE TON
Re: Carb intake boots - use silicone?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 11:11:51 »
You could use some Threebond 1194 (also known as Yamabond, Hondabond etc.) or some gasket adhesive just to ensure a good seal and it also I believe makes it easier to disassemble in the future (spray gasket adhesive, not Threebond).

I used spray gasket adhesive on pretty much every gasket on my XS650 engine rebuild (except the base gasket where they specifically said not to, and I used some Threebond on the head gasket around critical areas) and I'm leak free.
"Quality . . . you know what it is, yet you don't know what it is. But that's self-contradictory. But some things are better than others, that is, they have more quality. But when you try to say what the quality is, apart from the things that have it, it all goes poof! There's nothing to talk about. But if you can't say what Quality is, how do you know what it is, or how do you know that it even exists? If no one knows what it is, then for all practical purposes it doesn't exist at all. But for all practical purposes it really does exist."

Offline gomotomoto

Re: Carb intake boots - use silicone?
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 11:21:34 »
Thanks Tim, appreciate that.