www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: 76 KZ400 "Grimy"  (Read 20246 times)

Offline diggerdanh

• DTT SUPPORTER
Re: 76 KZ400 "Grimy"
« Reply #30 on: Jan 14, 2013, 01:35:10 »
Ran into my first issue last week. The front of the electronics tray comes forward too far, it interferes with the new air filters. So I took it all off and and cut it back a few inches. But as I was cutting and looking at the tray I realized that it wasn't as nice as I wanted it to be, some of the edges were not square. I was either going to have to disassemble it and fix some of the issues, start from scratch, or cut bait and go in another direction.

I went ahead and put a model together in google sketchup with all the dimensions and I have asked someone to fab/weld a sheet metal tray for me.

But I did get a dose of good news. Got this recent Ebay steal delivered by the mail lady:

NOS Kawasaki KZ400 case guards for about half the price as I've seen used ones selling on Ebay for a long time. I know the spirit of cafe racers is to remove things like this, but I think it will look nice on this bike.

Offline diggerdanh

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #31 on: Jan 14, 2013, 01:37:19 »
I found someone to fab and weld up my electronics tray but he won't be starting on it until later this week. But I have plenty of work to do in the meantime. I was able to work on it for a couple of hours Saturday - it was beautiful outside, though a little drizzle all day but the temps were great so I worked with the garage door open and got some much needed fresh air.

The stock brackets for the airbox were in the same space that my air filters needed to be. So I pulled out the angle grinder and cut them off as well as the side panel brackets and ground everything down as close as I felt comfortable with. Well, there's no going back to the stock airbox now. I'm all in.

This week I'll finish grinding off what is left of the welds with my dremel and some files. Then I'll cover the new bare spots with some paint. I'll not be taking it down to the frame and repainting/powder coating everything yet - that will probably be next winter's chore. This was supposed to just be a "simple carb swap" :)

I also figured out a spot for the catch can / breather. It should work nicely there with the airbox gone and battery relocated. I'm hoping it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb once I get the carbs, filters and electronics tray in. If it does then I'll have to find a different place for it.

Finally, a couple of pics to make me happy, feel like I'm really getting somewhere.

Offline gk45011

« Reply #32 on: Jan 14, 2013, 20:02:12 »
Dan,
 Where did you get the catch can? It looks bad ass. I may purchase one if the price is right instead of my jerry rigged filter as of current.

Also I would lower the catch can down so that it is not hidden partially behind the filter (or maybe it's the angle). It's a nice piece and should be showed off a little. Depending on if there are any mounting clips etc on the can itself you may be able to swap the adjustable clamps for some stainless steel zips etc to show more of the can itself.

JMHO,
GK
GK
GS 450L Build thread
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39199.0 -SOLD

83 GS1100E = under repair and minor modification

"Cut, shape, grind, repeat. I may not know what I'm doing but I'm enjoying myself." - Rich Ard

Offline BLSully

« Reply #33 on: Jan 14, 2013, 20:13:53 »
The bike is looking good diggerdanh! I see you've got the mikunis on there... I am ordering parts for my vm32s to tune them on the 440 soon...can't wait to start comparing notes
'05 Vulcan 1500 Classic - Daily rider.
'79 KZ400 B2 - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=42063.0
'80 KZ440 - Actually runs.

Support these guys: www.power-barn.com www.dimecitycycles.com

Offline diggerdanh

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #34 on: Jan 14, 2013, 20:42:28 »
Gary, the catch can is a real looker and cheap ($20 + 9 I think for shipping)! It comes with fittings and the hose clamps too. Add a $5 cheap breather filter (I think I got mine for $3.85 shipped from Ebay) and you're set. I can't take credit, Kanticoy (Kiley) mentioned it on another post and showed a pic where he used the same thing on Greta. (Dude, if it is good enough for Greta, it is damn sure good enough for my bike!)

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=4703

They ship quick too. I ordered it on a Tuesday afternoon and had it in my mailbox on Friday.

I have some stainless zip ties, that's a good idea. Those will look a lot cleaner.

My problem with mounting location is that the down tube right there is a single and then vees out toward the bottom part of the frame I don'd really have anyplace where I can show it off. Currently I have it located on one of those vees. But I could do what Kiley did and route the crankcase vent tube to the front of the bike and put it on one of the down tubes.

Thanks for the feedback.
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2013, 20:45:02 by diggerdanh »

Offline diggerdanh

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #35 on: Jan 14, 2013, 20:44:29 »
Ah, I see what you're saying now about dropping it down a couple of inches. I think I have room there to do just that and show it off a little more. Thanks for the tip!

Offline diggerdanh

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #36 on: Jan 14, 2013, 20:48:44 »
BLSully, well I kind of have them on there. It's getting close though. I definitely look forward to comparing notes. Based on everything that I've read and notes from various forums for VM30s on KZ440s, CB350s and CB450s, the stock jetting/setup in my VM30s should put me very close, except for the mains which are probably quite a bit too high.

Offline gk45011

« Reply #37 on: Jan 14, 2013, 21:51:33 »
 Thanks for the link again Dan. I will have to save it this time. I have a deep well of bills this month, but next month its back to having some spending cash to et the mechanicals on my build somewhat finished so that the rest of the winter can be used for cleanup hopefully.

GK
GK
GS 450L Build thread
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39199.0 -SOLD

83 GS1100E = under repair and minor modification

"Cut, shape, grind, repeat. I may not know what I'm doing but I'm enjoying myself." - Rich Ard

Offline diggerdanh

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #38 on: Jan 16, 2013, 14:33:53 »
Last night I only had a few minutes to work on the bike but I installed the case guards...

and moved the catch can down a couple of inches based on Gary's feedback to make it more visible.

and then I threw the tank and seat on the bike to see how it was coming along.

Offline BLSully

« Reply #39 on: Jan 16, 2013, 14:58:53 »
Looking good, diggerdanh! I really like the case guards, I think they add a nice touch to the bike. Thanks for posting the update!
'05 Vulcan 1500 Classic - Daily rider.
'79 KZ400 B2 - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=42063.0
'80 KZ440 - Actually runs.

Support these guys: www.power-barn.com www.dimecitycycles.com