www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 76 KZ400 "Grimy"  (Read 21276 times)

Offline diggerdanh

• DTT SUPPORTER
Re: 76 KZ400 "Grimy"
« Reply #50 on: Mar 03, 2013, 11:46:05 »
I sure did! Thanks Brad.

Not much to report since last update. Waiting on throttle cable and jets now. I also bought a "gently used" truck that has been taking up some time with minor repairs. But mostly I'm just waiting on the weather to get above freezing so I'll actually enjoy working in the garage and not just bear through it. It's supposed to finally get into the 50s next weekend and since I should have all my parts by then I think I can start wrapping this little project up.

The next little project is already calling my name... later model EX250/EX500 swingarms can be had complete, with adjusters and axle, for dirt cheap right now on Ebay - about $50 shipped.

Offline diggerdanh

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2013, 00:24:50 »
Been a long time since an update but things started warming up and I finally found time to get everything buttoned up. Got the bike started up I've got it idling okay and can roll into about 1/8 throttle with little fuss. Next is to take it around the block a couple times to get it warmed up, feel for what's happening in the throttle transitions and tune as necessary. Now I just need my schedule and the weather to cooperate. When I've got other things to do: yard work, kids' after school activities, home projects or other vehicle maintenance the weather is great. When I have time on my hands it always seems to be raining.

But I finally got her down from the bench Saturday, rinsed off all the dust and I snapped some pics this evening in between rain showers.

I got photobombed by my daughter in one pic and by our old toilet that is sitting in the garage in another.

I did a few other small things over the weekend too. I stripped the black paint off the controls, took them down to bare aluminum. I painted the rear fender satin black. And I took the front fender off to paint it satin black too but decided to leave it off for a while. Now that everything looks so nice and minimal I'm really hating the stock tach and speedo. They just look too big and I'm going to have to change them out for something smaller. I think the headlight ears need to be black now instead of chrome too and maybe the same with the headlight bezel. I also didn't notice how long the speedo drive cable was until I saw these pics. Those tires are fine for the street but the bike would look very cool with some tires with a little more dual-sport look, but I'm going to ride with these until they wear out. I really wish the handlebars were black instead of chrome. The brake light housing needs to be black instead of chrome or I need to swap to a single light with integrated turn signals, black of course. Now that I see the battery/electronics tray in place I think that I could have gotten by with it 1/2 or 2/3 as deep as it is now and I think it would look a lot better. I could go on an on.

All that said, it's looking pretty good IMHO. And it's hard to tell without a rider in the pic for context but it is low and lean and mean. I'm planning on sneaking the bathroom scale down to the garage and weighing it tomorrow while the wife is at work :)

Offline BLSully

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2013, 11:05:18 »
Bike is looking good sir!

Your initial tuning notes sound a lot like mine.... try those 2.0 slides, I'll bet it makes a world of difference. Raising the needles seems to help to some degree, but if it's just falling on it's face over 1/8 throttle, it didn't seem like the needle alone could compensate on the VM32's. I have a set of 6F4 needles I want to try as I still have a pretty interesting flat spot I'm not entirely sure how to be rid of.

Good luck, will be watching.
'05 Vulcan 1500 Classic - Daily rider.
'79 KZ400 B2 - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=42063.0
'80 KZ440 - Actually runs.

Support these guys: www.power-barn.com www.dimecitycycles.com

Offline hc243102

« Reply #53 on: Aug 05, 2013, 21:27:24 »
I like what you've done with your kz. I just picked up one myself, hopefully it will turn out as nice as yours.

Offline Quadrajet

• 1979 KZ400
« Reply #54 on: Aug 21, 2013, 08:42:09 »
Great work, it's looking awesome!

I have a '79 KZ400 that I've been messing around with lately.  I've just been taking my time on things like new bars, cleaning the rusty tank, new petcock, hoses, making a new seat, general cleaning etc.  Seeing how nicely your build is coming along makes me want to pick up the pace a bit. 

Offline diggerdanh

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #55 on: Aug 28, 2013, 14:07:24 »
Thanks guys.

Not much going on this summer due to a move. Great move for me since the new house has a huge pole barn with plenty of room for wrenching on bikes and plenty of room for more bikes.

Only thing I changed recently was swapping out my rear signals and taillight for an integrated unit.

Offline Spitfire151

• My bike
« Reply #56 on: Nov 23, 2013, 23:28:50 »
Been a while since I've checked in on this.  Great work!  Loving it!
80/81 KZ440 Cafe.  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39832.0

78 XS750 (minor restoration and sold).

65/66 CL77 305 Scrambler (bringing back to life and making a slight bobber).  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=55726.0

Offline M.B Co

« Reply #57 on: Nov 25, 2013, 13:13:46 »
Nice, I have the same tail light.

Offline diggerdanh

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #58 on: Jan 06, 2014, 15:44:57 »
It would be nice if it wasn't plastic but it does have the right look and functionality so I can live with it.

Offline M.B Co

« Reply #59 on: Jan 06, 2014, 18:44:42 »
May of been mentioned in an earlier post. But what specs are on the batter? aH & CCA?