www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: 76 KZ400 "Grimy"  (Read 20350 times)

Offline diggerdanh

• DTT SUPPORTER
Re: 76 KZ400 "Grimy"
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2017, 12:32:37 »
Luckily mine did come with all the mounting hardware and instructions too. Good luck finding the bolts. You ought to be able to find something suitable at a well stocked hardware store though you may need to also buy matching nuts - I don't know that you'll find metric in that length, especially not JIS spec.

Offline diggerdanh

• DTT SUPPORTER
Re: 76 KZ400 "Grimy"
« Reply #71 on: Jul 05, 2017, 17:16:08 »
Unfortunately I have only ridden this bike one one short trip this year. It ran great the the small oil leaks have gotten a lot worse over the last couple of years so they are not small anymore. It was time to tear down the top end and replace the gaskets. I had wanted to get the 78 KZ400 scrambler project finished first so I would always have a running bike. The 78 is almost completed but I still need to get exhaust created for it so I now have 2 non-running bikes in the barn. The top end teardown went quick and easy. The base gasket and head gasket were in really bad shape and pretty much crumbled. I can see where the bad leaks were. I had to order a few o-rings and a gasket kit and everything is reassembled now. When putting the caps back on that cover the valves I tightened one too much and snapped it in half. The threaded part came out easily enough but I had to order a new cap on Ebay this morning. Hopefully it gets here soon. I'll finish connecting all the electrical stuff and putting the carbs back on in the meantime. I'm praying there will be no more oil leaks.

I'll post pics and start the story of the 78 scrambler project soon. I wanted to get it finished or nearly finished before I started the thread. I didn't want it to be one of those threads that went on forever with long delays with a bike that never seemed to get finished. It was supposed to be a quick project, I figured it would get finished in a few months. It has now been 2 years and still not complete.