Update CJ250 now a 360

belch_brother

Been Around the Block
DTT BOTM WINNER
Hi all, just thought I'd do a quick update on where my build ended up. It is still going and probably will continue going for a while yet. Have moved around a few times and changed jobs a few times but anyways it is still a great little bike and can't wait till I get the vm30's dialed in...

7161824681_8a517005ec_c.jpg

7161827709_d3a5c751a9_c.jpg

7161822201_a572bc6111_c.jpg

Yeah, was going to ay the same thing - dig the asymmetrical tank decal design!

Good news. I have come a lot closer to a vm30 setup that does not make me want to throw them in the bin.

Started out with 176 p8 bleed type with a 6dh7 needle and 150 main. Gave me a really boggy condition mid throttle. Next I tried putting back my primary type 159 p4 NJ and stayed with the 6dh7. Put it in with leanest clip setting and no air jet. This gave me nearly 0 power at all. Couldn't even make it up the ramp out of the carpark. So put the air jets back in, thought it might be leaning out. Still was grumpy but slightly better. So I thought maybe if I shoot for richest needle setting and just see what influence that has. POW POW! Took it around the block and could not believe the way it rode... Like a different set of carbs!

So went for a 5km ride to a mates place and then returned home. Plug chop came out a bit darker than I would like (still learning to read plugs) but a nice mushroomy kind of colour. The only real area i am concerned with is WOT may be rich, but yet to confirm that. At least now I can ride the thing!

So the long story short, I would recommend that if vm30's are the path you wish to take, my setup is as follows:
CJ360 engine (rebuilt, new rings, no oversize, was just honed)
2 into 1 exhaust with open style muffler (reverse cone generic type cafe)
K&N pod style air intake filters
vm30's with this jet setup:
main jet: 150 (still to confirm top end)
pilot jet: 25 (about 2 turns out)
Needle Jet: 159 p4
Jet Needle: 6dh7 (richest clip position)
air jet: 2.0

Seems a bit like a repeat on others settings but I thought it best to divulge than to not. I am a little dissapointed that the bleed type didnt provide any answers for me... I did however not try the bleed type with the 6f4 needles. Maybe the 6dh7 is profiled to adapt to a primary so by using it with a bleed type may have been like a double negative so to speak. What I am trying to say is the primary nj with the 6dh7 leans out the 1/4 throttle, and so does a bleed type, so maybe a more linear tapered needle may work better with the bleed type nj.

Thats a bit convoluted but it makes sense in my head... :eek: :eek: :eek:

ha ha

I highly recommend not using the grey coloured epdm foam. Went for a ride ~50km round trip. Mate rode it first 25km, I rode it second 25km. Damn stuff turned to rock.

My arse is still asleep... lol

Seat is currently with an motor trimmer getting a nice new bit of foam and vinyl wrapping... Will post pics when I get it back. $120AU cashy... 8)

Back
Top Bottom