Slipstream Cycle

www.moto-madness.com

www.caferacerxxx.com

www.oldschoolspeed.com

www.rustrev.com

www.bullitcustomcycles.com

DWMS Racing

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: Project: "HonkyKong" 1979 KZ750 B Twin (brat-tracker-thingy)  (Read 22880 times)

Offline hallin222

• aka: HonkyKong
    • HonkyKong Customs moto-art
Re: Project: "HonkyKong" 1979 KZ750 B Twin (brat-tracker-thingy)
« Reply #15 on: Jun 14, 2012, 01:13:21 »
I'll consider it, but it doesn't appear to be any closer than what is seen here:

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=1141559    ...but maybe that closeness is allowable with a radial tire.  (?)

My bike is far from being operational, so I have plenty of time to adjust it.  Notice no brakes, no wiring, and that tank is just a rusty, dented junker being used for visuals and general mock-up.

Next up will be some info on the battery tray and seat pan I'm working on.  I just haven't uploaded my photos to my hosting site yet. 

Offline casper3043

« Reply #16 on: Jun 14, 2012, 03:45:58 »
love this thing mang! style is really close to mine. keep up the good work and keep us updated.

Offline warpedworm

• I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong
    • Warped Worm
« Reply #17 on: Jun 14, 2012, 16:23:33 »
Nice build :)  I'm a big fan of the Kawi twins, although mine are much smaller.
I hope to build up a 750 someday.

Really like the looks of your bike.
'83 Gpz 305 Cafe"Lorelai"  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=20251.0

Gpz 305 (Restoring) "Jett" http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=26463.0

Gpz 305 Dragbike/LSR "Derelict Dragon" http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=52608.0

Gpz 305 "Fetish"
Gpz 305 ?
'85 Cagiva 650 Alazzurra (My Italian Girl)
'01 Yamaha TW200
'00 Ducati ST2 (My Italian Lady)

Someday when the Stars & Money align:
Cagiva Mito/MZ Skorpion/Laverda Sport 750/
'86 Ninja 250/Any Moto Morini/Ducati SS 750/
Any Ducati Single/Cagiva Alazzurra 650 Cafe/
Derbi GPR 50

Offline hallin222

« Reply #18 on: Jun 16, 2012, 10:01:28 »
Here are a few shots of the electrical tray I made.  I first took a few measurements of that area of the frame, then modeled this sheet metal part in SolidWorks.  This allowed me to print the flat pattern of the part and test-fit it as a cut and folded paper sample (see previous images).  When the paper box seemed to fit about like I wanted it to, I went about cutting out the flat pattern out of 1/8" aluminum sheet.  This was overkill, and I could have used a much thinner material, like .070" or something, but this box will be extremely dent resistant over its lifetime.

The forming of the box was actually pretty difficult, given the manual brake (sheet metal bender) I had access to, and the complexity of multiple internal bends.  Again, since I have no ability to weld aluminum, I riveted the corners together.  I actually prefer this look to welds anyway.  DTT member, fresh_c helped me form and rivet this, as my bends weren't perfect and it took some C-clamps and muscle to get everything to line up before drilling and riveting. 

If I can find some images of my flat pattern, I'll post those up soon too.

These mounting tabes were originally made quite oversized, but I waited until I held the box up under the bike frame to trace the tab arcs, and mark the holes, to ensure proper alignment, before finishing their trimming with a Dremel and hand files.  The bolts currently installed (up from the inside) are too long, but will be replaced with some with shorter thread shafts, to sit flush with, or below the top plate, as to not make contact with my custom seatpan.

First shot of seatpan.  This is .070" aluminum, if I remember correctly.  I gave it a slight kink down the centerline to give it a little rigidity before making the other two bends to fit the frame properly.  I'll get some better pics up soon.

Now, because I'm a larger guy, and I may end up running 1" shorter shocks in the future (maybe not, we'll see) I wanted to check tire clearance through the full range of motion, so I removed the shocks, slid the rear axle as far as it could go forward in the axle plates, and lowered the bike on the jack until the tire made contact with something.

Although it hits the rear of my electrical tray before touching my rear frame hoop and tail light / license plate mounting tab, it's unlikely that this will ever occur in practice.  If I move the axle back 1/2" in the axle plate (usually required to attain proper chain tension) the electrical tray clearance problem disappears, and the concern becomes the rear frame bar, at the 12:00 position over the tire.

My next step is to cut out the necessary area of the seatpan's rear section, and create two crecesnt / wedge shaped side peices and an arced inner fender to create a bump for tire clearance, much like old drag racers would 'tub' their rear wheel wells to make room for big, wide, tall slicks.  This will also be riveted together, with the heads of the rivets only being visible from under the bike, and maybe slightly from the rear, but unlikely once the tail light and licensce plate bracket are installed. 

Offline sinbad85

« Reply #19 on: Jun 16, 2012, 22:53:32 »
awesome seatpan dude!!!!

Offline hallin222

« Reply #20 on: Jun 17, 2012, 15:36:22 »
awesome seatpan dude!!!!

Thanks.  I was going to post some photos of my first attempt at the inner fender, but I can't find my camera today.

Does anyone know where I might find a set of exhaust collars for the 'G' headers I have?   I'm missing ONE of the four 180 degree arcs.  I need just the plain flat kind, not the stepped ones that the 'B' header flanges used.  I see sets on Ebay, but they're stupid expensive and I just need ONE, not a full set of four.

Like this: 
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2012, 15:43:14 by hallin222 »

Offline hallin222

« Reply #21 on: Jun 20, 2012, 00:24:10 »
Excuse the horrible cell phone pic, but here's my plan for creating a rear tire 'tub'.  This is just a rough draft, it'll probably end up being about 1" wider than the max tire width, which should be overkill, since the widest part of the sidewall won't ever sit up that high, even under full compression.  Now I'll have plenty of vertical clearance as well, without worry of tire rub on that rear edge of the seatpan. 

Offline zero

« Reply #22 on: Jun 21, 2012, 17:29:54 »
great build so far!

Offline fresh_c

« Reply #23 on: Jul 04, 2012, 16:48:35 »
Need updates!

Offline hallin222

« Reply #24 on: Jul 07, 2012, 10:20:28 »
As requested, here are a few pics of the modified seat pan.  Big thanks to frash_c once again, for help with both the concept and implementation.  I think it came out well for a couple of amatures.  It looked prettier before we slathered it in silicone, but that side will all be covered with foam and vinyl at some point anyway.

I still needs to create a tab & slot mount for the front end, and no shown in these photos is the pressed in pemnut that will secure the rear, after I drill the frame tab to allow a mounting bolt to pass through it.  That fastener will likely be a wingbolt, knurlded head, or some other 'tool-less' one to allow removal of the seat, for access to the electrical tray should I ever need quick access on the side of the road somewhere.

I'll be doing a little hand sanding / dremel-ing of the edges, to soften them, in case or tire contact, but the tub is about 3/4" wider than the widest point of the tire's sidewall, so I'm confident I won't have any serious issues.  This design won't allow me to have the seat foam as thin as I was hoping, as I'll still need some cushioning material placed on top of the tub, but I'll see how it all looks when I start layering it on.

Offline fresh_c

« Reply #25 on: Jul 07, 2012, 15:22:17 »
That seat pan turned out pretty great.  Between the Firestones and the rivet heads, your bike is starting to a have nice post WWII hot rod style to it.  How about some fancy text on the tins to tie everything together?

Offline hallin222

« Reply #26 on: Jul 07, 2012, 15:45:35 »
How about some fancy text on the tins to tie everything together?
This graphic artist has volunteered to add some images to my tank, when it's ready for him.  I plan to strip it raw, then sand and clearcoat it, giving him a clean slate to work with.

Examples of his work can be seen here.  He's done work for local and international companies, including some of the T-shirts for Deus Ex Machina.

http://www.neighborhood-studio.com/

Some of his prints can be purchased here.  I recently bought the "Animals A-Z" print for some friends to hang in their new baby's room. 

http://store.neighborhood-studio.com/

Offline hallin222

« Reply #27 on: Jul 16, 2012, 00:44:12 »
I made up this little exhaust bracket over the weekend to support the rear of the system.  Nothing fancy, but it does the trick.  Sorry for the bad cell phone pics.  I couldn't find my camera.

This was just cut up with an angle grinder and a drill.  A bandsaw and belt sander would have provided a cleaner finished product, but I'm ok with it as-is, since it's mounted up under the frame. 

Those are just simple rubberized P-clamps hanging off the lower rear frame tube.

Offline hitman46mod

• 3.6 mph till the TON!!
« Reply #28 on: Jul 16, 2012, 18:30:43 »
Nice looking bike so far! 8)

Offline diggerdanh

« Reply #29 on: Jul 16, 2012, 23:02:37 »
Good idea on the exhaust bracket. I wondered how I would support the mufflers if I decided to cut off the rear portion of the frame with the passenger pegs. I think my mufflers sit a little higher but still something to file away for the future.