www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Yamaha DT360 Cafe  (Read 4135 times)

Offline edelweiss

• DTT SUPPORTER
Re: Yamaha DT360 Cafe
« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2014, 10:58:03 »
Well, It depends a lot on your skills, budget, and determination to get from where you are to where you want to be.  In MY opinion, the DT 360 is a superb starting place.  It is already:

1) an actual street bike with lights and a charging system.
2) is SUPER light weight compared to  - say a Honda CB 360.
3) reasonably powerful for its size.

At first blush the fact that it is a 2 stroke may seem an economic incentive, but it isn't.  The fact that it is a single cylinder is. Style wise, it is an enduro, and looks very not like a cafe bike, but at the end of the day, making it into one will not be all that different from starting with a dedicated street bike.  I had a DT100 back in the 70's and put clip-ons and street tires on it.  Started as sort of a joke as I was using it as a pit bike, but it was so cool I started riding it on the street.  I'm pretty sure it was the most fun bike I've ever driven!  It just depends on your vision to look beyond what you start with to see what you could end up with.  Driving it around will never be like riding a four stoke around, but if you are ok with beating the crap out of every "equivalent"  4 stroke twin in town at the expense of sounding like a dirt bike, I say start cutting!

That's what I say too. Just because people don't convert 2-strokes to a cafe bike is the best reason to do it. My approach to any design is watch what other people do (what most people do) then go the opposite way. Any success, in all it's forms, has always happened because those people did the unexpected.

Here is the voice over to that old Apple commercial which would best some up:

“Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”
74 Yamaha DT360 Enduro
79 Yamaha YZ125