www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: '81 kz440: brat cafe build  (Read 45829 times)

Offline .Spindat.

Re: '81 kz440: bobber --> cafe
« Reply #70 on: Nov 10, 2012, 16:40:24 »
yeah exactly! it is the engineer in me haha

Offline 7aliveatlast7

• the bearded hessian
« Reply #71 on: Nov 12, 2012, 00:33:33 »
now i can see the pic, it made me laugh :)  i'm gonna get those pics for you soon .spindat.  got a lot done this weekend.  dropped to one rotor/caliper up front cause i didn't need all that stop power for a lil 440.  left side now looks pretty cool all opened up on the front wheel with no rotor.  fit a new tank, it looks awesome.  it's off an old xl350.  got my chain on, clutch cable back in place, clutch cover back on.  also got the rear brake caliper on, but it's gonna be some work figuring how to get my stock brake pedal to engage the master cylinder.  wish i could justify spending the money on some rearsets, ha.  i'll have pics up soon.  g'night!

Offline 7aliveatlast7

• the bearded hessian
« Reply #72 on: Nov 13, 2012, 20:42:12 »
so i bled my front brake today and have a slight problem.  i have a nice stiff lever pull, however, when i pull it, it does not spring back into place.  any ideas why that might be?  the calipers disengage when i let go of the lever, so it's not the pistons sticking or anything.  maybe a weak return spring in the lever?  any help is appreciated!

i just have to de-rust-ify the inside of my new tank and this thing will be ready to ride!  as long as no unforeseen problems arise, that is.  i tried the electrolysis method with a 10 amp charger, but can't seem to get any results.  i am sure my sacrificial anode is not touching the tank anywhere, so it's not grounding out.  however, after 24 hrs, it did not collect any rust!  do i need more sodium hydroxide?  i mixed one tablespoon with each gallon of water i put in the tank.  i'm stumped as to why it's not working. 

Offline marla_do

« Reply #73 on: Nov 15, 2012, 05:31:47 »
keep it up

Offline 7aliveatlast7

• the bearded hessian
« Reply #74 on: Nov 15, 2012, 17:27:54 »
new tank for this steed...

tried the 'ol handfuls of screws/nuts/bolts in the tank trick.  wrapped it in a blanket, threw it in the dryer with a few other thick blankets around it, and 45 mins later, it's looking a lot less rusty inside.  still some work to do, though. 

Offline JustinLonghorn

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • No Purple Hearts, No Blue Ribbons
« Reply #75 on: Nov 15, 2012, 19:03:00 »
That tank looks the business. I can definitely dig it.
I'm going to eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

Into The Sunset, CB750 build

TT500 the Animal

Offline M.B Co

« Reply #76 on: Nov 16, 2012, 18:25:31 »
Love this bike. Killer job man.

Offline Big-D

« Reply #77 on: Dec 04, 2012, 10:53:18 »
Ahhhhhhhhhhh this is KILLER!! This is the same exhaust I want for my KZ. I just havent gotten around to fabbing it up yet. What did you do with your battery?

Offline CrescentSon

« Reply #78 on: Dec 04, 2012, 11:58:25 »
How you gonna fill the gap in front of the seat?
"I hated hipsters before it was cool." -Sonreier

"Lifes a bitch when your trying to sell gold bars to beggars" -VonYinzer

"To say that ALL cafe racers are the same degree of ho hum is like saying that finger banging a fisher price piano is on par with listening to Beethoven." -Kanticoy

Offline crackerman

• 79' KZ750 builds
« Reply #79 on: Dec 05, 2012, 11:07:01 »
Looking good. Diggin the tank. I like the exhaust but your going to burn you leg off unless you got nice heat shield. My scrambler pipes get nice and hot and they have a heat shield. Not a big deal, but you'd never want to wear shorts.