www.abelbrown.com

Slipstream Cycle

www.moto-madness.com

www.caferacerxxx.com

www.oldschoolspeed.com

www.rustrev.com

www.bullitcustomcycles.com

DWMS Racing

Author Topic: BRAT build  (Read 5967 times)

Online work9to5

• See you in the wind.
BRAT build
« on: Jun 25, 2012, 00:44:27 »
Ok guys gonna start my build thread here I guess. Picked up a 1978 CB550k about a month ago. Engine had almost no oil in it and the previous owner couldn't get it to keep a battery charge. Everything seemed to be in decent shape except for those issues. Filled the oil and found where it was shorting out about a week after i got it home. started it up right away with no problems. engine runs fine no knocking or any other warning signs. carbs have to be syncd but im gonna tear the thing apart any ways so i put that on hold.  I should say that this is my first "build", have owned 3 bikes before and have maintained them myself for the most part tho. i picked up a cb450 earlier in the year but decided to sell it because the engine repairs where beyond my skill level and i want to ride this summer (summer's short here). The idea with this one is to pick up something cheap and turn it into something more functional/fun to ride and change the look around a bit. Ride it for the summer and next winter take down the engine. i'm going for a "brat" look, low to the ground, 2 up if need be, simple lines. I ordered a whole bunch of parts last week and started tearing the bike apart a couple of days ago.
removed the seat. old one was taped up and needed to go.
cut the back "hump" off the frame with a grinder to acomidate a flat seat.
removed back fender and plastic fender guard.
removed all signal lights and brake lights.
front fork spings where saging so found decent used springs on ebay. *note to anyone removing front forks- watch out! for that triple tree nut when you un screw it! i learned the hard way! hit me right in the chin!
removed stock headlight attachments.
removed levers.
tried to remove handle bars, having troble with screws on the brake side, gonna try again tomorrow.
removed mirrors.
removed air box (that was annoying!).
started to clean the thing up. brillo pads are awesome for this so far.
started the seat build. had a decent thick piece of cabnetry board laying around in my work shop, shaped it into a nice seat and pluged it back onto the bike in the stock lock plug and hinge. am going to want to reinforce it with metal plate on the bottom i think to keep it cleaner and strudy. i think i'm going to reinstall the rear fender by bolting it to the bottom of the seat (after i cut it) but have to think on that for a minute.
tomorrow im gonna start adding things back on again. have started some adds already couldnt wait. bought a ton of stuff from dcc for this, listed below.
blk culbmans
art deco signals
gaitors
triuph style bar end mirrors
round tail light
k+n's
header wrap

take a look at the pictures, ask questions, give me some advice.
Oh am looking for advice on my exhast/intake situation im getting myself into in the near future. my mufflers are shot, all but one has holes along the bottom. I'm planning on putting on k and n air filters and cutting the exhasts so that there's no mufflers? only running headers as the exhasts for now until i can afford 4 into 1 pipes. (yes i know it will be loud as hell/yes it will prolly cause a rejetting nightmare) what am i gonna have to do to make this possible? change jet size? secondary jet? let me know if anybodies done this to a 550 before. thanks guys hope you enjoy my build.

Online work9to5

• See you in the wind.
Re: BRAT build
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2012, 00:52:08 »
seat pic
got some gray heavy duty vinly and some foam padding today. taking it to a friend tomar to have it sewn up.

Offline gingerXlightning

« Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2012, 02:06:19 »
Hey man I'm build a bratstyle cb550 too and the jetting actually won't be too hard. 115s and the needle in the middle position seems to be where most people run these bikes with pod filters and open exhaust.

I'm not planning to run mufflers either and I'm just going to run 4 into 4 open headers with some simple turn outs welded to the open pipes so that they end right before my rear wheel.

I don't know if you've owned a CB550 or CB500 before but what ever you do don't over tighten the bolt on the oil filter cover!! The biggest pain I've had with these things(I'm on my second one).
'74 CB450 Brat/Tracker

"Not putting miles on your bike is like not having sex with your Girl Friend so she'll be more desirable to her next Boy Friend."

"Opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one and they all stink."

Offline xruze56

« Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 2012, 05:10:11 »
xtpx i have a 78 750 supersport and i noticed my bike was getting low on oil so i went ahead to the parts store to buy some more oil and figure id change out the old oil i had in it just to clean her out, well after taking the pan off the bolt and draining the oil from the pan and side cover i filled her up with new oil and noticed about 10 minutes later a huge puddle of oil under the pan. So i go to take the pan off check it out and it looks fine and go back to put the bastard back on and the damn thing is fucking stripped -__- and i barely turned the thing. Luckily i had a parts bike from a 78 k and just took the pan and gasket off that and threw that on mine and waaaaa laaa problem solved. After looking online for a bit to research it i noticed i wasn't the only person that had that problem so good to know i wasn't the only one in the boat

Offline gingerXlightning

« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2012, 12:39:12 »
http://www.randakks.com/Engine%20Parts.htm#1

Best thing I ever bought for my 500 and my 550!
'74 CB450 Brat/Tracker

"Not putting miles on your bike is like not having sex with your Girl Friend so she'll be more desirable to her next Boy Friend."

Online work9to5

• See you in the wind.
« Reply #5 on: Jun 26, 2012, 13:43:18 »

Offline steakified

• yeah buddy!
« Reply #6 on: Jun 27, 2012, 16:44:49 »
@work9to5,

Hey, I got a 78 550k too, curious to see where you take the bike.  On another forum they have some guys that were concerned about the loudness of the pipes as well as the removal of the center stand.  Since you are brat-ing this thing, I don't think that matters too much.

The ebay guy looks like carpy, I think this is off of his site.

Good luck with your build, can't wait to see the progress.  Oh btw, when you cut off that rear hump, are you going to add a rear hoop connecting the two sides again? 

Doh, past link was bad, here is his site:
http://www.cb750cafe.com/products-page/exhaust/cb550-4-into-1-exhaust-system/
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2012, 17:06:25 by steakified »
1978 CB550K

Offline gingerXlightning

« Reply #7 on: Jun 27, 2012, 19:26:27 »
I love that exhaust! One of my buddies got it and its mean as hell!

'74 CB450 Brat/Tracker

Online work9to5

• See you in the wind.
« Reply #8 on: Jul 02, 2012, 23:12:16 »
Ok got the material back for the seat today. Planning on cutting the foams up tonight and finishing the seat in the morning. Vinyl looks amazing gonna make a sweet seat I think! Also ordered 115 jets today as the next step after the seat is to get this engine running correct. planning on taking down the carbs tomorrow as well. hoping the screws dont frustrate the fuck outta me wish me luck! Checked out Carpy's site, wow! Had no idea! sweet site check it out - http://www.cb750cafe.com/   
@steakifedi- I'm not actually planning on putting on a rear hoop. (right now that is) I cut this seat so it hangs out over the frame 3" it hides the space between the two bars. also i mounted my rear signals in the mounting hole left from the removal of the fender. so it looks as if there's no empty space left back there. Im planning on mounting a rear fender very close to the back of the seat (maybe even attached to the bottom of the seat partly) to also "fill" the space. I think that I will weld a plate on top of the two bars to create a little more stability.
@xtpx- am so gonna buy those pipes as soon as I can afford them! Looked at your build, its tight. am following it. These what your looking for? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-CB400t-Front-Wheel-Rotor-and-Axle-Comstar-/130723676166?hash=item1e6fbd0006&item=130723676166&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr 
I'm going to a motorcycle scrap yard over the weekend I'll keep my eye open for em if they are.

Had one question does anyone know if 750 4 into 1 headers would fit my bike? Seems to be a lot more of those out there for sale than for 550's.

Online work9to5

• See you in the wind.
« Reply #9 on: Jul 30, 2012, 21:50:38 »
bump!

Had one question does anyone know if 750 4 into 1 headers would fit my bike? Seems to be a lot more of those out there for sale than for 550's?

Offline gingerXlightning

« Reply #10 on: Jul 30, 2012, 22:07:26 »
Those were the wheels but I'm going to go in a different route now.... 16" harley drop center rims front and rear with some chunky Coker tires, as soon as my bank account allows it of coarse  ::)

But sadly I dont think the 750 headers will work. I dont actually know for sure just guessing here but I think the piping is a different diameter and the space between the header pipes is different as well. But I could be completely wrong here... How is the build going?

I havent had time to update my build thread but I had a bit of bad luck which ended with an electrical fire and now I'm on the hunt for a new wiring harness. If you see a bike out at the scrap yard one day with a decent one could ya pull it off and ship it to me? If you find one just lemme know a price and a shipping quote.

Thanks man
'74 CB450 Brat/Tracker

Offline steakified

• yeah buddy!
« Reply #11 on: Jul 30, 2012, 22:34:31 »
hey 9to5,

I've been asking the same thing, but I don't think the headers from a CB750 would fit our bikes.  I have in my notes that the engine interface of the headers of any 71 - 78 CB500/CB550 are the same.  Might make it a little easier. 

You can try to make it fit, but you might have to get creative if you are going to try to keep the center stand and clearance for turning/riding.  I hope that helped.  How is the build going?
1978 CB550K

Online work9to5

• See you in the wind.
« Reply #12 on: Aug 22, 2012, 12:45:46 »
Ok guys need help with this. The bike is done except i'm doing the final tuning rejetting and waiting on new tires. I'll post pics and discrips of the whole build after i get it finished. I'm having problems with the carbs though. can anyone identify the model of the carb in the picture? is it a keihin pwk? Here's the story- I bought a gasket kit and push in jets for what i thought was the stock 78' 550 carbs and they dont fit at all. the jets in this carb are the screw in type and ive never worked with those before. Im at a loss as to what gaskets will fit this and what jet size will do the job. I was going to put in 115 mains to make up for the pods and im running just headers (no mufflers), but all these screw in type jets come in sizes im not familar with. any insight as to what size i should order, so i dont have to keep reordering and frustrating myself more?!!!!! SO CLOSE NEED HELP!

Offline steakified

• yeah buddy!
« Reply #13 on: Aug 22, 2012, 15:44:40 »
Hey Work9to5,

those are the stock carbs that come with the 78 CB550K.  They are PD46C carbs and the only place I have found the gaskets/carb kit is at cycle recycle. 

carb rebuild kit from cycle recycle:
http://www.newmotorcycleparts.com/fuel_system_parts/carb_kit_hon.html

Jets and carb kits at siriusconinc
http://www.siriusconinc.com/search_result.php?make=1&model=cb550k&part=1&partno=&x=52&y=4&search=search

The carb kits are hard to find, and the jets you could probably match up, but just make sure you get the right ones.  In the sirius link you can click on view detail and it will tell you which bike the parts fit.  There are some parts that fit our cb550k with cb750k.

Good luck!
btw, I am not sure what pods you are using but the previous owner on my bike had the uni filters and he was running pretty stock, except he had 100 mains, everything else was stock.  Make sure you set the right float height.  The manual for our bikes do not have any information on our version of the carbs, so I have read at sohc4.net that people have had good success with a float height of 14.5mm.
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2012, 15:49:00 by steakified »
1978 CB550K

Online work9to5

• See you in the wind.
« Reply #14 on: Aug 26, 2012, 13:59:57 »
Ok hopefully my last question. Trying to find a cheap set of dual sport tires that fit. Found these sinko's http://www.bikebandit.com/shinko-244-motorcycle-tire that I want but never had to deal with tire size conversion. anyone know if these will fit my current sizes are 100/90 19" and 120/90 18"s. any recomendations welcome, budget is tiny though.

Steak, thanks for the info on where to find those gaskets. They should show up tomorrow in the mail!