Slipstream Cycle

www.moto-madness.com

www.caferacerxxx.com

www.oldschoolspeed.com

www.rustrev.com

www.bullitcustomcycles.com

DWMS Racing

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: BRAT build  (Read 5956 times)

Offline steakified

• yeah buddy!
Re: BRAT build
« Reply #15 on: Aug 27, 2012, 01:29:13 »
@work9to5,

Where's the pics mang?  All this work and no pics? j/k, lol I know you can get ahead of yourself and forget the pics but I really enjoy seeing other peoples work especially if they are working on the same bike.

Anyways, back to your question, here's how to read the tire:
100/90 19" = 100 is the tire width in millimeters, 90 is 90% of the wheel width.  So 100mm x .9 = 90mm.  Obviously 19 is your wheel diameter.
120/90 18" = 120mm x 108mm on 18" rim.

100mm x 90mm = 3.93701in x 3.54331 in
120 x 108mm = 4.72441in x 4.25197

What you can get away with I am not sure because I am not that far in my build yet.  I would email their customer service and ask questions.  The comments on that tire seem to have responses from their customer service.  Might be worth a shot to make sure you get the right one and not waste time/money.   I have read that the widest you can get away with on the rear is 120/90 as chain clearance will become a problem.   I dig those tires though, depending on what kind of riding you are going to be doing I'd be curious to know how those feel on the street.
1978 CB550K

Offline steakified

• yeah buddy!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 17, 2012, 01:05:00 »
hey work9to5, how's the build coming?  Just figured I'd check in and see if you got any headway on the carbs.

I've got some headway on mine, I'm actually pretty excited about it.  I also have a 78cb550k and managed to fire it up this weekend!  I cleaned the carbs and did a bench sync, I have pods on the bike and the 100 main jet, 42 slow jet, IMS is 1.75 turns out, my pipes are rusted to crap so they might as well be open pipes.  I could only get it to idle around 1500rpm with the choke pulled all the way out, finally have 15 minutes of a warm up i got it down to a hair over 1000rpm with the choke closed but once I gave the bike a little twist on the throttle it died trying to get back to idle.  I think I'm close, just gotta keep at it.

Hope you've got some work done :).
1978 CB550K

Offline work9to5

• See you in the wind.
« Reply #17 on: Oct 05, 2012, 02:49:29 »
Just pulled her out of the build space and took her for her first ride! I'd like to say she's finished but the minute after I parked I knew I will never stop tinkering with this bike as long as I own it. So I'll do a little recap since it's been a while since I started and a lot of things have been changed around. It's a 1978 CB550 K3, bought three months ago for the purpose of building a brat type bike. I think that I've been able to accomplish most of the things I set out to do with this build. It is my first build and I was at a definite learning curve with most things. I do have to apologize I didnt take a bunch of pictures during the build, it just didnt make sense to pic up my phone while my hands are covered in grease and crap. And most of the brakes I did take where out of frustration and nicotine addiction. But ask questions and ill give you details on any of the steps I went through. And I'll post some more picks tomorrow.
Ok so when I last left you I'd bought a couple parts from DCC. Bought a whole bunch more crap since then.-
blk culbmans
art deco signals
gaitors
triuph style bar end mirrors
round tail light
k+n's
header wrap
carbs

Striped the bike down. Took off-
turn signals (front / back )
head light bracket
seat
shocks
cut rear bump on the frame
handle bars
headers and pipes
drive chain

Ok so I started to put humpty dumpty back together a week ago. My delay was being able to find parts and lack of knowledge and tools. I found a friend of a friend who had a build space (I did most of the take down outside in the back of a restaurant I own) and paid for a section of his shop (room) and the use of his tools for a month ($200). This turned out to be the best thing I bought the whole build. Not only did I have every tool I could ever need but anytime I was there Chris (the shop owner was there) with all the knowledge I didn't have. Such a big help!
First I started with the carbs. ran into a few issues. Ordered the wrong jets the first time, got push ins instead of screws, UGH!
Finding a carb kit to fit this was another pain. Apparently Honda switched the carbs they where using on 550 for the year (78') compared to all previous years. Its seems like the 78' 550k was the starting ground for a lot of the changes put into future years cb750. I started noting this with the carbs. I also had for reference a completed cb550 77' next to me for most of the build, a lot of minor things changed in that year for both the bikes. Anyways carbs where filthy, really bad. Had some trouble with a leak in one of them when I put them back on but worked it out for the most part. Put carbs back on.
Next was pipes! I bought Carpy's 4 into 1's. Guys these things are sick! worth the price without a doubt! So easy to install, just had to cut off the center stand, new crush gaskets and screw em on with the right pressure. I wrapped em in tan fiber wrap, that was so annoying. I never knew how quickly you could go threw 50' of wrap with four headers. If you are thinking about buying these things do it! If you don't have the money, start saving! Honestly the only thing I would change about them is I like em cermic coated in black. Something I'll prolly do in the future. I'll try to post a vid so you can hear the sound.
Next put on a new o-ring chain in gold. The whole thing I'm trying to do with this build is replace all the parts which really could be improved on this bike. The honda engine was solid so why mess with it. I dont wanna oil a chain (or feel bad for not doing it) every two weeks, so on goes a new o-ring style. Next was shocks, bought black 12.5" progressives from DCC. They're nice, definitely worth the $90. I should mention at this point I ordered a lot of stuff from DCC, most of it was great, butter than great. And they're costumer service was outstanding. Herm even ansewer and email about the carb sizes on these bikes and went into great detail. But i do have to say some of they're low price parts, you get what you pay for.
So rolled it outside, hopped on, started first kick! I was pretty amazed. With all the stuff I touched on this bike to not screw it up considerably was awesome. Let it run for five minutes, it was back firing a bit but that didnt worry me to much. And then it did something scary all of a sudden it shot a ton of water a and oil out the pollution tube from the engine. I had changed the oil when I first got it three months ago and saw nothing weird but this was not good but it had been out side all that time. turned it off let it sit and restarted it 20mins later. Did the same thing. At this point I was pretty worried so I called a friend of a friend for some insight. He said that he's ridden this oil/water out of honda's before and because the liquid was milky brown it didnt worry him too much. If it was dark brown it would and that fact that it had started on the first kicked helped his diagnosis. I was inclined to change the oil again but with these pipes you cant change your oil with out removing them. So i decided to bluckle up the rest of the bike and see what happened.
Next all the signals went on, head light went back on with new brackets and spacers. Wired it, replaced the blinker relay, pretty simple. Had two side covers, one of them had no tabs on it so drilled tiny holes and zip tied it to the old tabs. (Remember not a show bike THIS IS A BRAT PEOPLE) Next was the seat. I had shaped a piece of wood to fit into the old tabs. I cut up the old cushion for a center strip of solid padding. A girlfriend had sewn some vinly with pleats for the cover. In between the pleats I put low density foam and then glued and mounted it all together. Then stapled the vinly to the bottom of the wood. The seat didn't come out as "pretty" as i wanted it but not bad for a first try. And it's actually really comfortable.
I just took it out for 10-20 mile ride. It's pretty sweet. Have to change the clutch cable immediately. It a really pain to get it into 4th. Had a bit more of liquid come out of the tube in the first part of the ride but no much. (opinions please). Really happy with it over all. I'll add more tomorrow, i'm tired.

Offline work9to5

• See you in the wind.
« Reply #18 on: Oct 05, 2012, 23:52:32 »
Not the greatest pics. As you can see it needs some refinement now. Paint on that tank, prolly gonna go dark copper. Smaller gauges or just go to one gauge. Seats ok, could be shaped better. Oh and tires too. Those mirrors from are pretty useless, need to be replaced.

Offline work9to5

• See you in the wind.
« Reply #19 on: Oct 05, 2012, 23:54:55 »
one pic at a time

Offline work9to5

• See you in the wind.
« Reply #20 on: Oct 05, 2012, 23:55:52 »
one pic at a time

Offline work9to5

• See you in the wind.
« Reply #21 on: Oct 05, 2012, 23:57:05 »
and

Offline hallin222

• aka: HonkyKong
    • HonkyKong Customs moto-art
« Reply #22 on: Oct 06, 2012, 11:51:03 »
Please get that seat to an upholsterer. For $50 it'll transform that bike.

Offline work9to5

• See you in the wind.
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 01:43:04 »
Diagnosis help! A week ago while on the ride back from work I started to get a loss of power and some weird sounds upon acceleration after stopping at a stop sign. I cranked the gas, it jumped back to power and I kept driving home. Hoping it was just a one time thing ( little hic-up) , yeah right. So two days ago its starts doing it again, but wont hic-up back to normal power. In fact I had to keep it throtlled to 2000 rpms at stops just keep her going. Conked out on me 6 times on the way home. Sound is totally different. No pur, sounds like a fucking outboard motor all of a sudden. Carbs should be fine, did a full re-haul 8 months ago. Have driven it everyday since. Had some battery issues a couple months ago, but that's sorted and shouldn't be related. Pulled plugs just now and they where pretty bad, all black. Am changing the oil now. Any sugestions on where to go from here.  Ideas on possible issues please

Offline Vespa

• Master Apprentice
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 02:57:29 »
Diagnosis help! A week ago while on the ride back from work I started to get a loss of power and some weird sounds upon acceleration after stopping at a stop sign. I cranked the gas, it jumped back to power and I kept driving home. Hoping it was just a one time thing ( little hic-up) , yeah right. So two days ago its starts doing it again, but wont hic-up back to normal power. In fact I had to keep it throtlled to 2000 rpms at stops just keep her going. Conked out on me 6 times on the way home. Sound is totally different. No pur, sounds like a fucking outboard motor all of a sudden. Carbs should be fine, did a full re-haul 8 months ago. Have driven it everyday since. Had some battery issues a couple months ago, but that's sorted and shouldn't be related. Pulled plugs just now and they where pretty bad, all black. Am changing the oil now. Any sugestions on where to go from here.  Ideas on possible issues please

Black with Oil or Sooty from unburned fuel? Guessing Fuel Fouled may be your running issue. Didn't see a rejet or Vacuum Gauge treatment in you previous posts to know if the Pods, exhaust and tune are the problem. Pic of what the plugs look like may help some of the wizards around here.

Offline work9to5

• See you in the wind.
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 03:17:07 »
Oil seemed fine. I had changed it last 2 months a ago. Was dark but nothing worrying about it. I rejetted the carbs during the rebuild, had to when i put on the new exhaust. (should be ok i ajusted according to manufacture's recomendation). pic of plugs

Offline work9to5

• See you in the wind.
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 04:47:19 »
oh and if  i pull the choke, the engine dies as well (keep in mind i'm throttling the whole time it's running).

Offline Vespa

• Master Apprentice
BRAT build
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 14:37:23 »
Too rich. Need to back off the fuel. Either the pods are too restrictive or you missed on the jetting. Pulling the choke just blocks off air and makes it even richer. You are getting too much fuel either way.

Offline work9to5

• See you in the wind.
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 15:04:33 »
Nothing has changed though. Ive been driving it like this for 8 months (with new jetting/pods/4into1 pipes). Taking apart carbs today i guess

Offline work9to5

• See you in the wind.
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 18:35:58 »
bump!!!!

bike problem- need advice!!!!

symptoms-
problem started where i could drive it out- has worsen'd to where bike will not drive up any incline
loss of power, cant get it above 10mph
sound has changed drastically- still even and balanced but tone and pitch are different
have to keep it rev'd to 2000 rpm even while braked at a stop or in neutral
if i dont give it gas it shuts off
pulled plugs- they where all black
changed oil- nothing out of the ordinary
if i pull choke bike shuts off
all sparks are firing- all pipes getting hot
no problem with fuel getting to carbs, checked all lines
dont understand that this could be a carb problem- i rebuilt them 8 months ago

its a 78' honda 550 with 20,000 miles roughly
was running fine for the past 8 months before the clean-up/rebuild