www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: BRAT build  (Read 9929 times)

Offline work9to5

• See you in the wind.
Re: BRAT build
« Reply #20 on: Oct 05, 2012, 23:55:52 »
one pic at a time

Offline work9to5

• See you in the wind.
« Reply #21 on: Oct 05, 2012, 23:57:05 »
and

Offline hallin222

• aka: HonkyKong
    • HonkyKong Customs moto-art
« Reply #22 on: Oct 06, 2012, 11:51:03 »
Please get that seat to an upholsterer. For $50 it'll transform that bike.

Offline work9to5

• See you in the wind.
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 01:43:04 »
Diagnosis help! A week ago while on the ride back from work I started to get a loss of power and some weird sounds upon acceleration after stopping at a stop sign. I cranked the gas, it jumped back to power and I kept driving home. Hoping it was just a one time thing ( little hic-up) , yeah right. So two days ago its starts doing it again, but wont hic-up back to normal power. In fact I had to keep it throtlled to 2000 rpms at stops just keep her going. Conked out on me 6 times on the way home. Sound is totally different. No pur, sounds like a fucking outboard motor all of a sudden. Carbs should be fine, did a full re-haul 8 months ago. Have driven it everyday since. Had some battery issues a couple months ago, but that's sorted and shouldn't be related. Pulled plugs just now and they where pretty bad, all black. Am changing the oil now. Any sugestions on where to go from here.  Ideas on possible issues please

Offline Vespa

• Master Apprentice
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 02:57:29 »
Diagnosis help! A week ago while on the ride back from work I started to get a loss of power and some weird sounds upon acceleration after stopping at a stop sign. I cranked the gas, it jumped back to power and I kept driving home. Hoping it was just a one time thing ( little hic-up) , yeah right. So two days ago its starts doing it again, but wont hic-up back to normal power. In fact I had to keep it throtlled to 2000 rpms at stops just keep her going. Conked out on me 6 times on the way home. Sound is totally different. No pur, sounds like a fucking outboard motor all of a sudden. Carbs should be fine, did a full re-haul 8 months ago. Have driven it everyday since. Had some battery issues a couple months ago, but that's sorted and shouldn't be related. Pulled plugs just now and they where pretty bad, all black. Am changing the oil now. Any sugestions on where to go from here.  Ideas on possible issues please

Black with Oil or Sooty from unburned fuel? Guessing Fuel Fouled may be your running issue. Didn't see a rejet or Vacuum Gauge treatment in you previous posts to know if the Pods, exhaust and tune are the problem. Pic of what the plugs look like may help some of the wizards around here.

Offline work9to5

• See you in the wind.
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 03:17:07 »
Oil seemed fine. I had changed it last 2 months a ago. Was dark but nothing worrying about it. I rejetted the carbs during the rebuild, had to when i put on the new exhaust. (should be ok i ajusted according to manufacture's recomendation). pic of plugs

Offline work9to5

• See you in the wind.
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 04:47:19 »
oh and if  i pull the choke, the engine dies as well (keep in mind i'm throttling the whole time it's running).

Offline Vespa

• Master Apprentice
BRAT build
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 14:37:23 »
Too rich. Need to back off the fuel. Either the pods are too restrictive or you missed on the jetting. Pulling the choke just blocks off air and makes it even richer. You are getting too much fuel either way.

Offline work9to5

• See you in the wind.
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 15:04:33 »
Nothing has changed though. Ive been driving it like this for 8 months (with new jetting/pods/4into1 pipes). Taking apart carbs today i guess

Offline work9to5

• See you in the wind.
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 18:35:58 »
bump!!!!

bike problem- need advice!!!!

symptoms-
problem started where i could drive it out- has worsen'd to where bike will not drive up any incline
loss of power, cant get it above 10mph
sound has changed drastically- still even and balanced but tone and pitch are different
have to keep it rev'd to 2000 rpm even while braked at a stop or in neutral
if i dont give it gas it shuts off
pulled plugs- they where all black
changed oil- nothing out of the ordinary
if i pull choke bike shuts off
all sparks are firing- all pipes getting hot
no problem with fuel getting to carbs, checked all lines
dont understand that this could be a carb problem- i rebuilt them 8 months ago

its a 78' honda 550 with 20,000 miles roughly
was running fine for the past 8 months before the clean-up/rebuild