Budget 78 GS550 - Giselle (SOLD)

ffaspector

Endeavorist
Well here she is. This was a $400 clean title runner that was in danger of being sold for scrap. What could I do? Had to rescue her. I'll be documenting some of what happened in this thread. (Excuse some of the crap photos, sometimes the phone is all you have....) ;)

Day 1, the way I brought her home.
day1.jpg

day1_2.jpg

Had some bars laying around so we threw them on and started imagining....
stage2.jpg

Started thinking that the factory tail-section wasn't all that ugly, it just needed to be moved up a bit. Ditched the rear fender and started the battery relocation. Found some old shocks that were taller, don't know where they came from but they did the trick in the short term.
stage3.jpg

We had headers lying around from a couple of old projects, so we cut 'em up and welded together a nice 4-1. Took the baffles out of the Mac megaphone, added some perf tubing and exhaust packing. Huge improvement in rideability and sound!
stage35.jpg

Wrapped up the exhaust. Spent a week with the LM-1 taped to the gas tank getting the jetting just right. Ended up with #100 mains, one clip richer on the needle. Adapted a much newer front master cylinder with a braided line. Cleaned the front caliper. Now she stops!
stage35-exhaust.jpg

Polished up the fork legs a bit, added new seals, oil and a pair of gaiters. K&N sponsored the project with a set of pods.
stage4.jpg

Cut down and painted the front fender. The wheels got sent off to be blasted by a friend. Pounded out and welded up a seat pan. Stole the headlight off a CB project I had in storage. Please ignore the bright orange tach. Just mocking things up....
stage5.jpg

When the wheels came back I had to start putting some miles on her. I like these pics cuz they really bring out the color of the wheels.... It's hard to see, but went with a much newer rear master cylinder, after I polished it all up of course.
stage6riding.jpg

stage6lake.jpg

The seat's done! Happy with how it came out. Got the mini tach mounted as well.
stage7.jpg

stage7_2.jpg

stage7_3.jpg

Waiting on shocks at the moment. Then she'll get some miles put on her while I think about paint. Also, still gotta do something about that tail light. Thinking the waterjet might be busy this weekend.... 8)

Re: Budget 78 GS550 - Giselle

New shocks arrived today. Black on black Hagons in 350mm. Raised the rear about a half inch. The difference in aesthetics was nice but the difference in handling was worth 3x the price of the shocks. Highly recommended.

Pics to come...

Love the way you are taking that bike. I'd like to see more of that wild looking moped thing in the back though. What is it?

Ha, that thing is always stealing my thunder. My brother's little board track racer. More pics over here in my intro thread -> http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=37857

ffaspector said:
Ha, that thing is always stealing my thunder. My brother's little board track racer. More pics over here in my intro thread -> http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=37857

Lol.. No worries, I like the 550 much better. It's very much like I'm working toward on one of my bikes.. I like the way you used the original tail. Looks great.

Great looking build! I'm working on the same bike. I would like to know where you sourced the 350mm Hagons?

Very very nice! Figures, I just catch up and you're going to be letting it rest.
Hope you two have many miles togther.

CafeTool said:
Great looking build! I'm working on the same bike. I would like to know where you sourced the 350mm Hagons?

Got 'em from Dave Quinn. Google will find it easy, just "Quinn Hagon". Just told them the bike, my weight, the length, and the color. The shipping was silly fast.

Hoosier Daddy said:
Very very nice! Figures, I just catch up and you're going to be letting it rest.
Hope you two have many miles togther.

Nah, you know these things never really rest! Got to thinking the clutch cover was ruining the look from that side and got out the buffing tools. Then I had to start polishing everything. Pics to come...

looks good, you guys get some smoking deals on old bikes over there. That bike would have sold for at least $1500 here in Australia.

MikGsxr said:
looks good, you guys get some smoking deals on old bikes over there. That bike would have sold for at least $1500 here in Australia.

or more, i saw a cb360 rusted heap of crap go for $3200aus on ebay.

think i may have to do a usa trip mikgsxr you keen?

...and done! with this side anyway. The camera adds some noise that is not really there. Apart from a few small blemishes that I don't have the patience to work on, it's a mirror. Having a new black "2400cc" foil sticker printed by a buddy of mine.

Attachments

• 100_0780.JPG
    100_0780.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 852

Your bike looks so sick considering how much money you put into it!

Where did you hide the master cylinder for the rear brakes?

Back
Top Bottom